Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Webcomicker!
Default My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic   #1  

"The series stars a unicorn pony named Twilight Sparkle, who is a pupil of Equestria's ruler Princess Celestia. Seeing the young pony buried in books, the princess sends her to Ponyville and gives her the task of making friends. Along with her assistant, a baby dragon named Spike, she becomes friends with the tomboyish Rainbow Dash, glamorous Rarity, hard-working Applejack, timid Fluttershy, and hyperactive Pinkie Pie. Together they explore the ins and outs of the town and solve various problems. Each episode usually ends with Twilight Sparkle reporting back to Celestia on some aspect of friendship that she has discovered in the process, either through her own experience or by watching the other ponies."

---------

When I saw deviant Art being swamped with pictures from this show, I was definitely like wtf. I pretty much stayed away from it cuz I thought it was some crazy fad but then one day I saw that an episode was on tv so I switched to it and although the episode was half over, I was totally drawn in by the ponies! D8 I never watched My Little Pony as a child but this new series that started last year is totally hilarious (to me anyways). xD I think it's because it was developed for tv by Lauren Faust, who had previously worked on the Cartoon Network series The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends with their creator, her husband Craig McCracken. So it definitely has that 90's cartoons flair to it.

Also, Lauren Faust apparently reads what fans write about the show and has even incorporated some fan-made ponies and aspects into the show. Which I think is amazing! O: Like Derpy Hooves, the crazy-eyed pony and the usage of the word "Brony".

My favorite character by far is Applejack. *w* After seeing that 1 episode I fangirled to Uke and we both fangasmed about the show and I eventually watched every episode (quite a few of them more than once). xD I even got my older brother to watch it with me. Anyone else here watch this show? C:

-----------------------------------
CMYK
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Oh man, it was only a matter of time before this thread was created. xD

I have a friend who's completely pony-crazy, and for months she was obsessing over this show and trying to convince me to watch it. Her taste in cartoons is hit-or-miss on whether I'll end up liking it too, so I avoided it for as long as I could until curiosity finally got the better of me.

I have to say, it was not at all what I was expecting... it was much better! Super cute, and definitely has the same sort of flair as PPG. I was really hoping for more of the crazy rainbow magic scenes as in the very beginning, and more concerning the whole 'elements of harmony' idea, but it was still entertaining.

Now I even have little Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie toys sitting on my desk. =P
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Webcomicker!
Default   #3  
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread like this already. |D

But yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean. xD At first I avoided it but once I saw it... there was no turning back!!! xDDD

I'm kind of sad that Luna never appear again after the 2nd episode. I really liked the first 2 episodes (the pilot I guess it could be called). I read somewhere she's supposed to appear again in the 2nd season. I hope so. Cx

I also love so many of the side characters. Like Photo Finish with her German sounding accent, "Oh yes! Even heeya shneeshes ahr gressful!" and "I must captcha... da magikz!" Ohhh man... x'D

I have an Applejack toy on my computer tower. *w*

CMYK
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Flawless Victory
This junk is all over my facebook feed. WTH is up with grown men loving these pony things? I don't even get it. :C

...and I don't have cable to try and figure it out first hand.
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #5  
Same reason as grown men watching girly anime, I'd imagine. xD

I have cable, but have no idea what channel the show was on. I got the first season from the webs by being a pirate. Arr.
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Flawless Victory
I mean, I can understand (sort of, not really) the girly anime thing. Anime girls can be attractive in humanly sexual ways. But Ponies? That is just going down a whole new path of wrong.
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Webcomicker!
Default   #7  
I watch it on tv and online. xD It's on a channel called the Hub on cable. I think it's a channel owned by Hasbro. owo But yeah, I watch the episodes online here. C:

And this thread is for discussing things about the show, please don't start bashing on certain groups of the fans. @o@

CMYK
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Yeah, you'll hurt their feelers. =(
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Flawless Victory
Default   #9  
Oh no, I am certainly not bashing, I just don't understand. I can see from "my" perspective that it is a show about...magical ponies. To me, that seems silly...and even sillier are the fans I know of (who are personal friends of mine). If you knew these individuals, you'd be all WTF as well.

I may have to subject myself to an episode or two so I can fully pass judgement on the show itself.
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Trust me, I was feeling the same way before I watched it. I wouldn't call myself a fanatic like... er... some people I know, but my opinion was definitely changed.

...And only the unicorns are magical. < <;
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #11  
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Webcomicker!
@ Kasi'l, I'm sorry if I assumed that you were. I've just seen people do it at the drop of a hat and it can get ugly pretty fast. @o@

If you do decide to watch an episode or 2, I'd suggest the pilot (the first 2 episodes) since it can be watched on it's own and it's kind of like a mini-movie. I was just the same though, I thought it was nuts that people were obsessing over ponies! But the show seems to just have a certain charm that attracts a lot of different people. Plus the show really doesn't have much to do with magic (outside of the "Elements of Harmony" thing). Only 2 of the 6 main characters can even do magic and they don't even really do much with it besides teleport and levitate things.

Honestly I don't think it's the fact that they are ponies that attracts them, but maybe just the sense of humor/charm the show has. For example, I don't even like horses/unicorns/pegasus but I still enjoy the show. Even if the characters were humans that were pretty much the same as the pony characters, I'd probably still enjoy it.

@ CupcakeDolly, LOL, I can fully believe that's whats going on in her mind. |D

CMYK
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #13  
oh god why are you even talking about the ponies ><

its just carebears all over again :P

except i liked carebears >.>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 11:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Webcomicker!
I never watched that either. O:

CMYK
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 11:06 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #15  
It's been ages since I've watched anything My Little Pony. I have to say though that I really haven't been fond of the direction it has taken in terms of looks. I can definately see the influence of shows like Powerpuff girls. I used to watch that a fair bit, but I miss it when ponies used to actually look like ponies. To me now, they look like deer with headcolds. It's neat that their bringing in fan stuff. The term "Brony" is one I've never heard before, that's for sure.

My favourite My Little Pony movie is Firefly's Adventure, and it will probably stay that way. Both Spike and Applejack go back to that film. Applejack is one of the old ponies I remember. I think my Sister even had an original Rainbow Dash pony. I would really like to see a return of the Pony boys though, the big ones with the hairy looking feet. I got rid of mine years ago and I'm still sore about it. They sell for a pile on Ebay now.
Old Posted 07-08-2011, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
I agree on the looks section Quiet. I much prefered the ORIGINAL MLP back in the 80's. I loved that old show and personally think they runied it with the new way that they have now. I miss the look of the old ponies...original into from 80's

edit: Bowtie and twilight were my favorite ponies back then
Old Posted 07-14-2011, 03:11 AM Reply With Quote