Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

It's ALIVE
Default Your Elvish name   #1  
So I was looking for a name for my baby dragon on FR and came upon this site and found my name (the usual spelling, not the spelling of my name)

So if you want, feel free to share your elvish name =3
I thought it might be fun XD

Apologies if they don't have your name D:

Girls names

Boys names

My elvish name would be Eruraina (Air-oo-rye-nah)

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 05-09-2016, 04:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Wow they had my name (Kind of ) actually under the girl section!

Teithagliriel (lit. "poem writer")
(Tay-thah-gleer-ee-ell)
Old Posted 05-09-2016, 06:01 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #3  
Ithilethiel (it's hard to get used to pronouncing it ><!) meaning "moon maiden"
Old Posted 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Moderator Note: Take a heads up that if this is just a forum game of "look at this list and find your name" then it needs to get moved over to the Forum Games section.

I'm all for it being right here where it is if there's discussion that goes along with it, so... discuss! :D
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-09-2016, 08:26 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #5  
I honestly would not be sure if this would be a game or not =O I thought it would be similar to Illusions personality test XD

On a side note about names, I really don't like the original meaning of mine is "god is gracious"

Edit: Now that I'm fully awake and functioning I completely see what you meant coda XD

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes

Last edited by SparX; 05-10-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old Posted 05-09-2016, 09:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
A lot of names are like that thanks to the religious focus in most cultures. Gaelic, Sanskrit, and Native languages are the exceptions
Old Posted 05-09-2016, 11:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #7  
They didn't have my actual name, but they had something fairly close with the same meaning...

My elvish name is Panolviel (lit. "plant growth") pronounced : Pahn-ole-vee-ell.

I think I still prefer my coven name that has since become my online name. At least it gives me a new name option when playing open world RPG games like WoW and Aura Kingdom ^_^;;

In memory of Dorian Floyd Corkin 18/04/2007 - 31/07/2007

My Dice Store
Old Posted 05-10-2016, 04:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
My birth name would be Caunion in Elvish. Ruler. I measure things.
As for the name I may choose in the future...Eruwaedhiel.

Edit: Funny thing - my name was sort of meant as "the closest we could get to Wulfric/Ulric without being weird"
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Last edited by Lawtan; 05-26-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old Posted 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #9  
If I was a guy my name wouldn't be very different either, Erurainion
so just the end part got changed.

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 05-10-2016, 11:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Following the list, my given name in Elvish is the same as my name in Spanish, and I find that mildly disappointing. ^^()

I can't find anything that relates at all to my chosen name. Nothing about music, nothing about endings or finishes, nothing about tails (the literal meaning of "Coda" in the original Italian).

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #11  
*hugs Coda* I couldn't find my Coven/online name on there at all either... At least the list had your actual name...? My name is a French name so I never find my name on anything anywhere...

My Dice Store
Old Posted 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I dunno, I think there's an argument to be made that "Awen" could be adapted to "Teithagliriel" ("poem writer") or "Vanglirtána" ("the beauty shown in poetry") or maybe "Feanathiel" ("spiritual one"); it's not THAT far off. And "moon" at least gives "Ithilwen". (And if you want to diverge from the list... well, my Quenya is EXCEEDINGLY rusty, but I THINK "Caladithil" means "light of the moon".)

In the girls' names list, I do find that "Methenniel" would be a reasonable translation of "Coda" so "Methennion" would be a reasonable masculinization of the name based on the rules of Quenya.

By the way, here's a way better list: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html -- It's a lot harder to search, but it's WAY bigger.

EDIT: Actually, digging through a dictionary, "Sulé" is probably a better translation of "Awen" -- both words derive from a root referring to air but picked up the meaning of "spirit" through metaphor. And Sulé is a perfectly serviceable feminine name in its own right.

Old Posted 05-10-2016, 08:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #13  
Wow! Thank you for researching that <3

My name comes from the Welsh traditions and means inspiration or muse.

All of those names sound so pretty <3 And I like the translation for your name. It would make for a good character name in one of my books ^_^

My Dice Store
Old Posted 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I know what "Awen" means (and it's really more accurate to say it means "poetic inspiration" or anthropomorphically "spirit of inspiration" -- which is where "muse" comes in); that's why I was able to give you some meaningful options. ^^() I also looked up its etymology and it's derived from an ancient root meaning "to blow" and is related to words meaning "breath" and "breeze" and "spirit".

Heck, "inspire" and "spirit" even have that connection in English -- the "-spir-" in both words is the same as in "respiration." So to "inspire" someone is to fill them with breath.

Old Posted 05-11-2016, 10:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
It occurs to me that "expire" actually has the same root, too; when someone expires, their breath has left them.

Old Posted 05-11-2016, 05:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Rainbows and stuff
Ha! I don't have one.
~*~*~*~*~*~ ♥...If you will have me we shall be...♥~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~♥ ...Together forever and a day...♥ ~*~*~*~*~*~
Old Posted 05-13-2016, 01:07 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
elvish, for fun, names, tolkien, your name