Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #145  
Bleedman. Yes, he's rather famous. That's why we commissioned him. I'm not sure it was a good investment (and I wasn't sure about it at the time either) but the rest of the staff thought that having the first thing you see look like that would be a good way to catch users' attention and therefore bring in revenue.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-27-2018, 03:32 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
i mean. it wasn't a good investment, lmao. but it's not like it matters at this point.

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 03:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #147  
The strategy was sound, but the commission was too expensive to pay for itself.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-27-2018, 04:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
I have never joined any site because of a cool banner.

(User profile, yes. But only once. And that was NaNoWriMo, way back when they still had their little flash books. And I don't even like flash.)
Old Posted 09-27-2018, 06:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #149  
I’m kind of curious how much the commission cost, but at the same time, I kind of do not want to know...
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
We didn't expect anyone to JOIN because of the cool banner, but high-quality graphics definitely do help RETAIN users because it gives a feeling of overall value to the site. It's not necessarily even a conscious thing.

I think it was something like $300. I don't remember for sure. As far as commission prices are concerned it's not bad for something with that many characters in it, but I don't think we sold $300 more in runes than we would have sold otherwise.

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 06:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #151  
Mhh. Not everything needs to be a 1:1 ratio in terms of actual money. Perhaps you got more than $300 back relative to donations and user retention, which generates income from donations gradually.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 07:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I was taking that into account, though. The bump to retention is a fairly subtle thing, and I think that if we had something more like the banner that replaced it from the beginning that we wouldn't have seen much difference. Obviously this is only speculation, since I can't set up any experiments to compare the two, and there's SO MUCH MORE that goes into what makes the community successful that it's hard to measure in the first place, but I think the fact that we don't HAVE character art in the header right now and our user retention is based primarily on community interaction and item releases is a sign that the same has probably been true for most of our history.

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Default   #153  
the cool banner being the shop owners?
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 08:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Both cool banners have been shopkeeps.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-27-2018, 08:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #155  
Old Posted 09-27-2018, 09:44 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
So awesome ;u;

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 12:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #157  
Well, again I can only speak for myself, but what makes me stay on a site is the community. I've joined a few other avi sites that (in my opinion) had better art than Trisphee, and still this is my virtual home of choice. Community aside though, I think overall value also comes if the color scheme matches, whether or not there are ads on the site, and how easy or bug free it is to use. So the decision makes no sense to me, but then again I don't even need to understand every decision some old staff made years ago *shrug*
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 03:54 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Community is a main part for me, too, and if I can easily get used to the site's overall design, plus if it doesn't take forever to load is also a key factor.

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 06:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #159  
TRISPHEE HAS RAINBOW ON THE PALETTE THEREFORE IS THE BEST SITE

if it didn't... hm... well... not sure...
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 01:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Pfft, Tattered Weave has Prism Party, which is an entire event dedicated to rainbows :P
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM Reply With Quote