Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In
View Poll Results: In favor of making a comic for Trisphee?
Yay 6 60.00%
Nay 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Derp
Default All In Favor Of The Comic?   #1  
So yesterday, there was some talk about introducing something new to Trisphee to breathe new life into it. It..wasn't exactly in the best thread, and the talk got kind of cluttered with all sorts of crazy ideas, but what one could deduce was that there was interest to do something like this, from regular folks and staffers alike.

Now, some things to clarify before you guys post your thoughts:
  • This thread isn't meant to act as a place to organize or post super specific ideas.
  • If you want to help or think you can help out with this, go ahead and post.
  • If the general consensus is to go ahead, I'll ask one of the admins to go ahead and make a dedicated board for this where will be able to plan it out and work in detail (preferably invisible cause...well, we don't want to spill everything to everyone in one fell swoop lol).

So then, let's put it to a vote.

Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
So...what exactly does this entail?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
So...what exactly does this entail?
Instead of gigantic story volumes, there's an idea floating around that Trisphee's story will be rebooted as a high quality webcomic with regular and consistent updates.

The initial idea was that the comic's story would be intertwined with forum activity - regular users get to show up as characters and their forum actions sort of shape it, but the logistics behind that will make it hard so it might have to be toned down. Who knows.

Like I said, just random ideas floating around at the moment, so before concrete decisions are made, we all gotta know who's on board with this and if they're willing to help.

Writers and artists are obviously a must, but the current story writers really need to keep one thing in mind: Writing comics is quite different, and in some cases harder. It'll take just as much dedication and a willingness to try something new and different.
Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Where's the "Maybe, only if it's limited and each page used wisely" option?

Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
Where's the "Maybe, only if it's limited and each page used wisely" option?
That's what Gaia does and no one gives a shit about Gaia anymore. :P

The whole approach is not to make the comic as a sort of complimentary part of the site, but rather, just as central as the avatars.

And that entails a bit more than just one or two pages a month.
Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taletha View Post
Now, some things to clarify before you guys post your thoughts:
  • If the general consensus is to go ahead, I'll ask one of the admins to go ahead and make a dedicated board for this where will be able to plan it out and work in detail (preferably invisible cause...well, we don't want to spill everything to everyone in one fell swoop lol).
I don't think a separate forum would be made just for this, however if you wanted you could make a social group and make it invite only so that only those you wanted would have access. :3

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #7  
Lol, you're assuming I'm gonna be leading this. xD

An admin should be in charge. I'm....just a consigliere. :3
Old Posted 03-26-2014, 11:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
As far as having a webcomic goes, fine. Having that webcomic be as important to the site as the avatars and avatar system, no. I'd rather it be complimentary to the site.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 12:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #9  
As a supplement to the shopkeeper story line, I would like. Over to all story lines.... nope too much.

As a few intro and closing pages to each shop keeper story line I think it would be do able.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 12:46 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Now, the only thing about this is that a dedicated webcomic that updates regularly takes a lot of work. A LOT. It's certainly not an impossible thing to get done, but in order to get dedicated, high-quality artists and writers to work on a project of that size requires a lot of money. We know that a comic would be awesome; we don't need a poll for that. I hate to say it, but if the users really want to see a webcomic that is kept up to date regularly, you guys should vote with your wallets and support the site financially so we can hire the artists to make you lovely things.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 03-27-2014, 12:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #11  
Lol, we'll see along with a who knows.

Yesterday, almost everyone was fired up about a comic in that very purple thread, yet today not only do we have very few votes in this poll, it's tied at that.

There's no use planning anything unless we first know if folks even want it. If a majority favors to do it, then we can start figuring out exactly how we'll go about it. There's a hundred ways to do it, honestly. You just gotta know how to stroke egos without compromising anything.

That said, do us all a favor lol: Don't vote "Nay" just because you personally don't like comics or don't want to get involved. That's just pointless and potentially detrimental. This is about Trisphee, not you. :P
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 12:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Taletha that is exactly the wrong way to say that. If the user base doesn't like webcomics, and wont read them, than there isn't a point in making them. It is about the user base of trisphee, and that does mean it is about them.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 01:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #13  
:< You guys are...really into misunderstanding me lol.

You all needed something to keep Trisphee alive. I offered a simple idea, you guys liked it, and now it feels almost as if it's entirely my responsibility to organize it, market it, etc...

I even made this thread cause I was asked to lol... So I'll be up front: I have no idea what I'm doing. Yet.

Right now, the question is IF we're even gonna have one. If we are, then we'll figure out absolutely all the necessary steps to take. It's role for the site, update methodology...

Again, this thread isn't really the place to do that. Like Ari said, when the time is ripe we can put together a group specifically for all that. For now, let's just see if a any comic at all is for the site's best interest. If not, then we can surely think of something else yeah? But right now, it's the most ripe and logical thing.

Now, if we have a majority vote in favor of by the poll's end, we can go ahead and pool some people together who can work on this. Needless to say, those writers have to be put to work. :P
Last edited by Taletha; 03-27-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 01:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
I want a webcomic too! Except for the including users into the comic I wanted everything else. That being said the negativity may be a reaction to reality. The story will have to be well written before it's ever given to a paid artist to draw. The writing part will need to involve the staff but "owned" by a set number of staff to make it their primary project. Which leaves the decision of a writer. Will it be someone already a Trisphite or will someone outside be hired. There's always a risk of too many people and too many good ideas making a bad story.

Which makes paying for an artist the second step because drawing a whole strip or page takes quite a bit of time. No one is going to do it for free. Even someone who loves what they're doing can only do so for a short time before they need compensation for their work.

Yeah I sound negative, and I could say that it's just realistic. This thread exists however to see if the people want a webcomic as a future project. I personally think we should cross that hurdle first jumping into the mire of "it should be complementary not a focus".

But that's a personal thought. If we vote a webcomic it may be a couple more years before it's financially supportable. I'm okay with that. I am on Trisphee because of community and avatars. But honestly I'm afraid one day we'll be too grown up and what of the community or staff that currently support this "dying fad" as it's been put? It's not possible to everything at once. Maybe a redesign and events being tied with adverts is exactly what we need. A revival of a dying fad if at all possible will be a dream come true and I can keep hanging out here =)

EDIT: It should go without saying but perhaps Taletha you should mention that no one votes with their mules. We can stop them if they do but I almost double voted in this fashion without thinking. u_u"
Last edited by Jurinjo; 03-27-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #15  
I like to think people here are honest enough not to vote with their mules. :3 Besides, on VB admins can see exactly which IPs voted, so they can see if someone voted twice (without bothering to proxify lol).

Now, here's a small resolution to our artist problem: We can color ourselves! Or...at least I can lol. I used to color manga pages out of pure boredom some years back, and I like to think our local pixel artists can manage a coloring book themselves. ;)

So, the short order would really be the line art.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM Reply With Quote  
The Mad Scientist
If this comic is to happen I can say it will not be as you suggested. It is not feasible to add every user in this, it would show favouritism, if there was to be a web comic series it would have to follow the npcs to be impartial. Can we add a background character that is based image wise off of a user, yes. Would the storyline for said comic have everyone integrated into it, no. That idea isn't feasible simply because people would feel entitled to be in it, say the artists, or the writers doing the storyline.

I am alright if this was to be a properly based comic with a storyline focusing on trisphee characters, that would be easy enough to plan and execute writing wise. The images themselves do not require to be coloured in my opinion, simple line based artwork would work well, a simple coloured background would be nice.

Now if a trisphee user wanted to make a comic about the users and what's happening in the forum I have no issue, that is your prerogative, I can't tell someone not to do something if it's not for profit, as we do own the trisphee verse and all characters (npcs) within it.

But as suggested it would be made by trisphee for users to enjoy, therefore it would be made by staff, possibly not the same staff forever, so having a user based comic wouldn't work unless the same people did it the whole time, because it requires knowing the users. A story lined comic makes more sense in the long run, not only would the characters known npcs but they would also have complete personality profiles on hand for newer staff to familiarize themselves with.

Old Posted 03-27-2014, 11:35 PM Reply With Quote