Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

It Won't Stop
Default   #705  
WELL. I HAVE TO SAY.

whether peeps did or didn't believe in a god, it don't rightly matter no more with him, y'know, dead and all. so i guess if you want to believe he never existed and there totally aren't demons and angels and zombies and giant beasty monsters and horsemen laying waste to the world and humanity as a whole...

... well, you probably shouldn't look out the window, bro. At this point, you might have a better chance convincing everyone that mermaids and unicorns and fairies are real. I mean there are probably some critters that pretend to be one of them to fuck with people, so.

Go ahead and believe things that are obviously wrong if you want, but don't be surprised when you get smacked for being a fuckin idiot.

Old Posted 11-19-2013, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Okay.
Taoism is supposed to be another part of her as a character...when I write it up tomorrow, Kadia's reaction will, hopefully, show her more *dangerous* side.
I'd still think, (especially the different ways religions persist/adapt to the times) that it would be reasonable for there to still be "charitable/religious" areas - such a refuge is where she developed a "belief in the balance that should be" as well as her knowledge of medicines and chemistry - for both making useful concoctions to heal fatal wounds and for bombs.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #707  
I think that for this discussion to continue, we have to make sure we have our definitions correct. There aren't many logical religions to follow at this point, given the evidence we've been given, but different philosophies can still vary widely for people. Some people will count both of these as basically the same idea, but I count having a certain type of philosophy as something different from, and capable of coexisting with, religion, as it is more a way of thinking than set rituals and practices. A classic example I always learned in school would be Buddhism, which can be followed either as a religion or as a philosophy. As a philosophy, it can be, and often is, combined with Christian beliefs.

So. Not many religious options anymore, but just as many philosophical as ever, which means of course that for every violent and aggressive area such as our setting, there can be one much more chill.

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 12:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Essentially, she can believe whatever she wants, but there's no "power source" from anything resembling "the Balance" or "the Way".
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 12:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #709  
It would be difficult to explain further.
Essentially, her belief in such things, and them working, are completely scientific. However, she treats science and medicine very "new age"-ish.
Perhaps "philosophy" is a better term, but many of these things get entwined.

A "power source" of the balance would make things unbalanced, correct? So, no gifts to draw from. However, as demons and all already mess with such a balance, it "corrects" itself with abilities like Telekinesis in people.

Edit: Okay, by scientific, I mean - "I know that if I give you this chemical mix (H202 + ?) before saying "Om Mani Padme" will kill you, but otherwise will clean out the wound, so I'll be saying "Om Mani Padme"
__

__

Last edited by Lawtan; 11-20-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:29 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
uhm... i don't think... okay she can have fun spewing that, tell me when the resurrection is scheduled.

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #711  
I... am perplexed.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Kadia: *Looks at you like you grew a third head* It started back in 1993, as Nostradamus predicted.

(No, it won't be that bad. I am really just trying to work in a more "spiritualistic" character because all my past ones have been at best "For Camelot!" and that's it.)

...did not mean to open a can of worms here...

And, sleep may be talking right now...

I'll try to be more coherent in the morning. I'll write in what I mean as it comes up.
__

__

Last edited by Lawtan; 11-20-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #713  
I don't really know what to say. There's only so many places "supernatural" feats come from in this 'verse.

The psychic mind acting to alter the matter and energy it perceives in some manner. Psychosis.

The spiritual will channeling the essentia of the planes to enforce itself upon the local reality. Theurgy, heavenly and hellish.

Or the manipulation of the relationship between spirits and the material world. Necromancy.

I mean, that's it. I mean, tech can do some stuff that we'd see as borderline "magical", but beyond that, if someone isn't using any of the above-mentioned, nothing out of the ordinary is happening.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:48 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
you should read through when tommyboy healed bugeyes over there again. that was sparklymagic, and there was no specific chants or mantras or anything, so her beliefs won't make a difference in anything with how she does things, unless she was somehow taught/convinced the magic word things were needed...

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 01:52 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #715  
I think what Sheol and Galla are getting at here, Lawtan, is that anything similar to religion can only be philosophy and nothing else because, as far as the nature of the universe and how things were created/run, we already have the answers. There was a god, he created the world, he created Adam, there is Eden, and god is dead. There can be no alternate unless a character is in denial.

I guess in that respect, faith could exist if someone believes that there is something else out there, but that would only be for the sake of character flavour and would have no bearing on what that character can do.

(hopes she didn't just mess things up some more)
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 02:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
and god is dead.
Thus. Spake. Zarathustra.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 02:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #717  
so uh. i can make no guarantees about posting until like...saturday. but i think suze and quiet know dante well enough to pull him along. (also, i'll be on tris often enough for stress relief, so if actions need to be done, you can probably just like..."hey i'm going to have dante be curious and do this thing" "okay that's fine with me")
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 03:21 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Oh yay, can I make Auraboy derp around, please please please!

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 03:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #719  
I'm thinking we need to have a Mexican standoff here...

...and then Fishboy pokes the angel. How's that sound? :|
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-20-2013, 03:48 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Oh yes. The poking will happen. And then Mandude will be glad it wasn't her after all! -bounces-

Old Posted 11-20-2013, 03:50 AM Reply With Quote