Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Little Monster
Default   #17  
I really enjoyed the movie.
But I've never read the books so I can't really compare it to anything. >.<
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 07:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Capitan Marvelous~!
The book was wonderful if you ever read it you would enjoy it. You should also looking into the looking glass wars.

Nikko's Cosplay's,Nikko's Cosplay Cafe, Dapper Dreams Joint Venture
Cosplaying: N/A
Reyo is my Tropical Mistress ~ <3, Lucid is DELISH and the best nana ever!
Is known as Black Japan - Hetalia

Nikko is a beautiful prince.
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 07:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Little Monster
Default   #19  
Ah, then I will have to look into reading the books during the summer then. ^^
This is Madness!!
Madness!? This is TRISPHEE!!

No H8
Old Posted 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
I fell asleep inbetween some parts of the movie so my memory of it is pretty derned fuzzy. All I can remember is when that girl chopped off a dragons head (was it a dragons head???) I remember being horribly bored with it.
Old Posted 05-02-2011, 12:11 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #21  
I loved the movie, but having already read the Wonderland book for lit class and being well aware of what movies tend to do to books, I was fairly well prepared for the differences that might come up and generally approached it with an open mind. Although, I did write a lit paper on Tim Burton in school and I'm always curious to see if my observations hold up. They did in Sweeny Todd.

I had a great time watching it. I could pick apart little details and things from the books versus other sources, like how Johnny Depp is quoting the poem "Jabberwocky" when he and little Alice are walking through the woods, and the scene where she faces down the Bandersnatch to me mirrors the scene in the book when little Alice encounters a puppy, except things have taken a nasty turn. The making of was fascinating to watch as the movie was a mix of cg and live action. The red queen's dress was designed to accentuate the shape of her head, which was expanded with computer, the same as Johnny Depp's eyes for his mad hatter role, and the futterwacken dance was done by a guy from myspace wearing the mad hatter outfit, minus the 360 degree spinning of the hips and head and such ;).

I have to admit, I am a bit sour with Disney's version of Alice, but then Disney doesn't have a good track record in it's past when it comes to some literature. Alice went from being more sure of herself and ultimately the one in charge in the book to being wussy "oh no! the cards are after me and I can't defend myself!" type. Sigh.
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 04:34 AM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
      • yea i saw it after all the hype was gone
        and it came out on netflix
        i really didn't care all that much
        and i don't really know why people make alice in wonderland
        out to be more than it is.
        i just don't get why people love it so much

Old Posted 05-08-2011, 05:38 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #23  
To decide is people are making more out of something than it is, one would first have to decide what it is. Not sure how I would go about doing that.

To each their own. I liked the book well enough, it was interesting and cute. I liked the Tim Burton movie for the visuals since that's one of the main reasons I watch movies. Lots of people seem to really like the Disney version though I don't recall being all that fond of it, and I'm not now. Why does anyone like anything, really? Sometimes, it's just because people do.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-08-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old Posted 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
I thought it was okay. xD I heard about it long before trailers or anything were released and and so my expectations were high. I enjoyed it, but not to the extent of buying oodles of Alice merchandise.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #25  
Maybe I'm just cynical when it comes to movies. I try not to expect or anticipate anything. Even though I like it, I haven't actually bought the movie yet.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
I was kinda disappointed too. I heard SO MUCH good things about it before I saw it. The effect were great, and Johnny Depps acting were as awesome as always.... but I didn't like the way Tim showed his side of the story. Also the main actress, sorry I don't remember her name, played her part like she was really bored! But hey.... Cheshire did his part SPLENDID! c:
Please, call me Simon.
David ♡

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #27  
I haven't seen the movie, and I really don't plan to. I've heard enough about it to be like, "Oh... I see..." and steer clear. "Alice" and "Looking Glass" are two of my all-time favorite books, and I don't want to see anyone else shitting on them. I read something about how Tim Burton didn't like the story of Alice. He said it was too nonsensical and didn't have a clear plot. ...*facepalm* He did the same thing with Sweeney Todd, saying that he doesn't like musicals.
Honestly, I don't understand why the man keeps doing things that he doesn't like! No wonder his movies are losing their lustre.
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I liked both myself, and have seem both multiple times but I haven't read any of the Sweeny Todd serials though so I can't comment on comparison to the original, but I don't think I'd bother anyway. I've stopped comparing books and movies all together really. I just find it makes for annoyance or dissapointment. Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton is effectively a new story since it is supposed to take place ten years after the original story. I haven't read Through the Looking Glass or other stuff but for the "Jabberwocky" poem which references the Bandersnatch and the fight with the Jabberwocky. I think I prefer to look at is as a fanciful period piece of sorts rather than as a representation of literature.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 06:33 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #29  
I was confused at first....then realised it was supposed to be where she was returning to wonderland. man, it would of be fun to see it how i thought it would of been. I thought it was good though. I can't say the original isn't better.. some defaults in it though. she didn't have blue eyes either.. I had noticed that. alice of alice in wonderland is supposed to have blue eyes! lol x3 just made me mad.. not cause i have blue eyes but just cause thats the detail of the character and well.. mehhh there is things bout it i didn't like in some ways but, it was a pretty good movie!

Art by panda..
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 02:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Never read the books though I do remember the Disney Cartoon. I couldn't stand it. That tempermental, stupid queen grr. There are plenty of things Tim Burton did that I didn't like. But I had low expectations to begin with when I walked it. It was really good in my opinion. I like the design of Alice's red dress and the queen's castle. Personally I thought the lack of illogical stuff in it compared to the cartoon made it MUCH more endurable. Even as a kid it upset me and I'd verge on arguing with the tv. xD
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 02:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Banned
Default   #31  
I seen it.
I think it was pretty good of a movie.. since almost all ages could watch it ^^
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Jabberwocky was my favorite poem so the whole time I was watching it I was extremely excited because of the fact that it's... well, a lot based off the poem >3<

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:17 AM Reply With Quote