Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!   #1  
Every Halloween, without fail, I find myself seized with the burning desire to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's actually one of only two Castlevania games I've ever completed (the other being Aria of Sorrow for the DS), though I've got a few more I haven't beaten. SotN just remains very dear to my heart, though. I love 2D platformers... as long as they aren't TOO hard, and this one is about perfect difficulty-wise. It's also got an amazing soundtrack, graphics that hold up surprisingly well, and that famously so-bad-it's-awesome voice acting.

So, Castlevania! What's your favorite in the series and why?

(...what is a man? A miserable little pile of SECRETS!)
Old Posted 09-28-2012, 10:21 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
SotN is the only Castlevania game I've played, but I LOVED it. I played it so much, I completely blew out the TV. I've played through it multiple times, I never got tired of it. I never did get 206% or whatever the very highest is, but I did find all the best gear. Unfortunately, even though I bought the game with my own allowance back in the day, the PS2 is my sister's so I didn't take the game with me when I moved out. I've toyed with the idea of buying a PS3 and a newer Castlevania game, but everyone says SotN was the best game of the whole series and I don't want to be let down by the other ones.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 09-28-2012, 11:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #3  
Aria of Sorrow is pretty on par with it, IMO. Similar platforming and a pretty solid story, though it's not as long.

I enjoyed the PS2 ones I played -- Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness -- but I never beat either of them ^_^* At least with Lament of Innocence I got to the end. I just got stuck on a boss >.

Oh! But Aria of Sorrow isn't for the DS, it's for the GBA. My bad! There was a DS sequel but the art style changed from the gorgeous Ayami Kojima art to this really generic anime junk and it didn't appeal to me at all... = /

I also vaguely recall renting one for the N64 that was "okay" but I never got all that far in it.
Old Posted 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
That will probably sound like a strange anwser, but either Castlevania 3 Dracula curse because of the multiple paths and characters, and off course the Help Me (I damn love that one), and Castlevania 64 for personal bias because I like Carrie. I actualy love Bloodlines too, I have fun burrying Eric's head in the ground when the orb falls after bosses xD Speaking of bloodlines, my favorite boss is Elisabeth Bathory/Medusa from this one ^^ Too bad it's like a mini-bush rush mode in that part, and I have no idea where to find health outside Death.

I played pretty much all of them and finished pretty much all of them too. I just did Castlevania Chronicle a few days ago. The only thing is that I suck royaly at it/castlevania in general, but still whatever. xD

Also, Schmoo is an awesome ennemy in SotN for the name alone. I love saying that, Schmoo Schmoo Schmoo Schmoo Schmoo :D I have no idea what they're suppose to represent but whatever. They're fun, and I think they're the ennemy that can drop the Chrisagreaim or something like that.
I don't even
Old Posted 09-28-2012, 11:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #5  
Schmoos! Yes! They drop either ramen, which is one of the best healing food items, or the Crissaegrim, which is the best sword ever, period. Once you get the Crissaegrim you basically have the game sewn up. You can even run while still swinging it. It's just a wall of death in front of you at all times XD

Basically when I replay, I get to the inverted library as soon as I can get to the alternate castle, and just farm Schmoos, haha.
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
The food drops in Castlevania did seem odd to me, like spagetti and ketchup. What was with that?

I've only played Lament of Innocence so far. I haven't finished it yet, but like many of my stalled games, I'm stuck right before a boss fight and since I haven't played it in so long I'm out of practice. I'm in the Pagoda now. I stopped at the top of the really long staircase but because of the save points I'll have to run through the pagoda again. I do like the soundtrack.

I have the DS one, Order of Ecclesia I think, but I'm stuck on the first boss. Even my friend, the video game master is having issues with the stupid crab.

I'm a fan of Kojima's artwork too. :). Wasn't so fond of the artwork on the cover of Aria of Sorrow. Just didn't seem to have the mood going for it.
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 12:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #7  
Oh! I totally forgot about Order of Ecclesia! ...I'm stuck on a boss right AFTER that stupid crab...
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Actualy, I kind of like the Shield Rod with the Alucard Shield, I mean come on, it's basicaly God Mode with the added benefit of Hurting people incredibly fast. I think it's the most broken... ANYTHING... in a video game.

Yeah, some food drop are kind of weird in this castlevania, like a complete set of tea. The hell? ''Hey Blood Skeleton wanna get some tea and read poetry? I mean, we're not MONSTERS, are we?''

I think some guy even drops peanut, that made me laugh for no reason xD

It still makes more sense than breaking a wall and eating a dusty turkey or something from there. Or spawning Mohai heads by crouching on a tiny ledge in an underway filled with Aquamen lizards thingy. Or crowns.
I don't even
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 03:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #9  
I saw a goofy thing on YouTube once where Dracula was chilling in his castle about to enjoy a pot roast dinner and then a Belmont showed up to challenge him and he was like "Oh no! Hide the pot roast! We'll stuff it in these candlesticks!"

I mean that might as well be what happens XD The peanuts in SotN were funny because you usually couldn't even eat them... they'd just fly in the air and fall onto the ground. Very very silly.
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 12:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Oh yeah, I think I saw that one, I'm also pretty sure that was from Newgrounds originaly. Ironicaly I think the only place I never saw a Turkey Chicken Pork whatever Roast is in a candle. I remember the ones hidden in statues from Castlevania 64 though xD

Actualy, I think that's how you're supposed to eat them. You throw them on the ground and go over them, like the food tickets. There are a few others things like that too, I think one of the tea item does in one of the gba/ds game.
I don't even
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #11  
CastleVania... -drool-

I adore those games. A LOT. All of them. It's hard to pick a favorite because I have enjoyed all of them. I suppose I'd have to go with CastleVania 2 for the NES just because that's the one that first snared me...and I've been playing them ever since.

I haven't gotten the PS3 ones yet...but I certainly want them when I have the funds to do so.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 08:40 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I got a kick out of the intro to LoI that neatly explains why there's all this crap floating around the castle, and why Dracula doesn't seem to mind having some random guy and his store right outside the castle gates.

"It seems eternal life is extremely boring..."

Lestrade: how did you kill the stupid crab?
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #13  
Um, practice? I eventually got to the point where I more or less understood its movements and could dodge its claw a lot of the time, and then it was just a matter of luck really.
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Ah. I'm usually okay with the claw, but the bubbles get me. I hit problems when I get to the top and there's no further to jump, so I end up crouching in the corner and trying to hit it. I've tackled it some ten times now.
Old Posted 09-29-2012, 10:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default   #15  
I totally read your title in his voice too.

I used to own it, LOVED it, but then the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible and I had to store it in my closet.
Old Posted 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM Reply With Quote  
And that is why I never got a PS3.

But my PS2 is still going strong = )
Old Posted 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM Reply With Quote