Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Moderation Admin
Default   #17  
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Maybe Sadrain is on the right track. Perhaps we could combine Egyptian mythology and the post-apocalyptic survival setting? Powers inspired by the Egyptian pantheon, maybe?
I am so game for that, if anyone else is! :'O

I also could do vampires/zombies. We have a whole forum, so we can do more than one roleplay at once! XD

...but the egyption post-apocalyptic scenario sounds FANTASTIC. :'D
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Yaaay, post-apocalyptic world with characters that have powers based off Egyptian mythology, then?

We have to think of a nice Egyptian-inspired way to make the world post-apocalyptic, don't we?

Old Posted 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #19  
You're right, and that's step two.
  • To be cliche, we could use the aftermath of the climactic battle of Set versus Ra?
  • Anubis gone insane?
  • Egyptain pantheon civil war? XD

I know those're lame, but I'm gonna have to do some REAL research before making the thread. Any knowledge you can provide would be invaluable, johnny, rainy, etc. :'D
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM Reply With Quote  
You know, I think the pantheon civil war might be the easiest plot-wise. We could have people on earth become vessels of sorts for the Egyptian gods, which created a war and ended civilization as we knew it.

And maybe some gods who weren't exactly invited to the party (we could combine options one and three here and say the battle between Set and Ra is what happened on earth, and the other gods are angry about it) want to clean up the mess (or take it over) so they get their own vessels to walk about on earth.

Old Posted 07-22-2010, 10:21 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #21  
Howa bout.. We had the egyptian thing in normal times? The gods came to earth during our year and are trying to.. Ajust.. To the new world that has been created.
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
If I understood correctly, let me recap and add some more detail. If it's incorrect, please feel free to edit any of it. :'3

Around the time of the Pharaohs:

Set and Ra had a civil war, which wiped out most civilizations. Of the remaining human survivors, some of those are god(desse)s who have chosen to assume the bodies of vessels in order to find some way to gain the word they once knew back with (or without) the help of the humans. Over the centuries, the unstable world prevented humans from making much progress in the realms of arts and sciences; the only advances came from the vessels slowly leaking out knowledge to keep civilization going.

Modern Day Scenario:

The Egyptian god(desse)s are enraged that the world has forgotten their power. Some of them wanted to force humans to worship them again; some of them chose to blend in amongst the humans via vessels in order to try to preserve what they could. The take over of the world left it scarred, and humans lost many of the technologies that they relied upon. However, they still were able to salvage some technology and used it to keep in touch with remaining pockets around the globe.

Either way, the force of the gods is the main force against the protaganists, who can be either god, demi-god, or a human.

...just throwing it out there. Does any of that sound good? :'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
Howa bout.. We had the egyptian thing in normal times? The gods came to earth during our year and are trying to.. Ajust.. To the new world that has been created.
That is also an equally-great idea, Illusion. :3 Definitely in the running for sure!
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #23  
I like the Modern Day scenario. It lessens the amount of research we'd have to do. xD

So the vesseled gods would probably be on the protagonists' side, correct? And the others would probably blatantly display themselves as gods. We know how those Egyptians were with their whole "I am a god!" shtick, amiright?

We could also work in Illusion's idea: the only advantage the protagonist humans could have is the fact that they know the world better than the gods do, and the idea that the gods are perhaps "afraid" of the world the humans were capable of creating without their help. In fact, maybe that's what angers them to take over in the first place: they were getting a bit jealous of the advancements the humans made without the gods to guide them.

Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Yes, that sounds wonderful. :'D
  • Humans (modern-day) create a powerful society.
  • Gods get jealous of this, and some stage a rebellion on humans.
  • Others come down to earth as vessels, gaining human insight into their society. This could also include demis that had been living among the humans and humans themselves.
  • Cataclysm from the antagonists.
  • Roleplay begins in some way, shape, or form.
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #25  
Do we want to have a set goal for all the protagonists, or maybe each one has a goal in mind (one wants to lead a rebellion, one just wants to go to a city the gods have ignored and try to live a somewhat normal life, one wants to, say, find his sister or wife or brother or something, etc.) and they just end up interacting with one another? We have to find a way to tie the protagonists together, something more substantial than survival. A rebellion is the easiest plot, if maybe a little overdone.

Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
I think having different motivations would be the most realistic way to tie the protagonists together. I agree that survival is not going to do the trick and I like the way you phrased it above.

By having their own agendas, beyond the necessary survival, it will eventually lead the protagonists together. Humans could want to get away and live normal lives again, or just be fleeing for the lives of them and their families. Demis could just want to live with the humans, or they could feel unable to do anything because they're less powerful. The vessels, being gods themselves, could want any of the above or could be completely dedicated to stopping the rebellion.

Eventually these motives would lead them to come together.
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #27  
Rebellions are over done... Hmm.. It will have to do something like gods learning on what they missed out over these thousands of years and some evil god knows there back and comes to fight them... Something along those lines im having a brain fart so I can't think of many ideas..

But here are ideas for locations its based in.
New york city (over done)
Detroit ( XD Bad city = Bad fights?)
Miami? (I dunno just thought of CSI Miami)
Egypt... ( Rather go with a new aged location)
Tokyo

(All of this is feeling like Percy Jackson and the Olmypians.. For some reason... Perhaps we can take elements out of the book/movie and use it for the roleplay?)
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Yes, and the dynamic of "I'm not here to help you, I'm here to do my own thing and move on" could make for some good interactions. I think the combination of survival and personal motives might be enough to link them together. The strongest connection would be that they're on the same side, and even if one half of them wants to lead a rebel force against the gods and the other half just wants a house and a family, they all still realize that the gods are the things keeping them from their goal and would probably unite under that belief.

Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei View Post
I think having different motivations would be the most realistic way to tie the protagonists together. I agree that survival is not going to do the trick and I like the way you phrased it above.

By having their own agendas, beyond the necessary survival, it will eventually lead the protagonists together. Humans could want to get away and live normal lives again, or just be fleeing for the lives of them and their families. Demis could just want to live with the humans, or they could feel unable to do anything because they're less powerful. The vessels, being gods themselves, could want any of the above or could be completely dedicated to stopping the rebellion.

Eventually these motives would lead them to come together.
I agree on having the gods doing stuff with there.. Agendas.. Some reason on why they are there.
For Demi's you must think, they've been around for so long so there must be thousands of them. So you can make it sorta like harry potter and have it so there is magical places for only them unknown to regular humans, making it so they feel special being them rather then different.
Humans is very even out so I wouldn't worry about them.

Edit: It came to thinking as well... Why would all gods stay in the heavens? Wouldn't it make more sense that there were some gods still living on earth.
Last edited by Illusion; 07-22-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 11:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Well, I would assume that if they were living on earth, they would be incognito. As the gods were forgotten, their power or influence could have weakened significantly. That, along with jealousy, could have led the gods to revolt. Once the existence of the gods was reaffirmed, their powers returned to full (to either retain dominion or fight to quash the rebellion).

It's late and my brain has died, so I'm going to check back later today after a good night's sleep and a day of work. I'm really digging all of the brainstorms, guys, and I cannot wait to roleplay with all of you. :'D

...oh, and so I don't forget it tomorrow: something early Japanese/samurai/etc would be interesting, too. >.>;
Last edited by Sei; 07-23-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old Posted 07-23-2010, 12:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #31  
I think some gods would have remained on earth (these would be the "unlucky" ones, as if I recall correctly Egyptian mythology believed the afterlife to be a "true" life and earth was something of a purgatory. I could be remembering it wrongly, though, so if any Egyptian mythology knowers are out there, do correct me) but the stronger of them would have gone into the afterlife. This allows us to have the vessel gods as well as the demi-gods who know humanity well, and the more elitist "afterlife" gods who are jealous of humanity as well as unfamiliar with it.

For the sake of the plot, we can't have the antagonist gods be earth-bound, or else they would be accustomed to earth technology and that spoils the whole "they attacked because they were jealous and fearful of humanity moving on without them" plot thread.

Probably, the strongest of the gods would have gone into the afterlife, and that might mean the most "well known" of them could be our antagonists. It would probably take gods like Ra, Osiris, Set, Iris, etc. out of the role of "protagonist" (and therefore truly playable character). We might figure out a way to save one or two of them to be vessels, though, if someone really wants to play them. Keep in mind during characterization, however, that Egyptian gods are portrayed as extremely well-balanced and neutral, so even a god like chaos-driven and murderous Set could be a good, protagonist vessel if done right.

Old Posted 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
If there were the weaker gods that were left on earth. Wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of punishment given to them? Or something that makes it feel like a true torture to be living on earth to a god?

We also need to make up rules on what gods can and cannot do on earth. So we need to look that up ;D

And we need to be picking up some antagonists, to choose from. And what kind of goal they want...
Old Posted 07-23-2010, 01:15 AM Reply With Quote