Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Internet Problems   #1  
I am the only one affected by this so far.

My modem or whatever kicks me off the internet, my mother is still on and all, most of the time it won't say no internet. It usually will reconnect to the internet on its own after awhile (stays connected to the modem though). Trouble shooter says Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS server)

Call the ISP...they did all the can do, nothing changed. They're coming to replace the modem which we just got a month ago...if that doesn't work, I don't know what to do. Does anyone know how to fix this problem beyond using an ethernet cable?
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 02:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I wish I had a good answer for you. Some Windows computers just have randomly flaky wifi and I don't know why.

You might try changing your DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, although you'll have to look up how to do that because I don't use Windows if I can avoid it. ^^()
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 02:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
That's the thing, until this new modem....it would only mess up when everyone's internet was messing up...

There are new things under network adapters -goes to google until internet dies again-

What are WAN miniports? And what are they doing on my computer?

Nooo,Coda, be online....tell me the thiiiiiiiings XD (Google is unhelpful, most people, their internet won't work at all, mine will with periods of outage)

I'm going to just PM you the next time I need help (and hoped you aren't swamped with all the things XD)
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 02-08-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 02:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Please keep support requests in threads. ^^() I'd rather track them here than in PMs, and other people can help here too.

In all seriousness, wifi is weird on Windows. Different combinations of hardware, driver, and router seem to have different levels of stability, even though wifi is SUPPOSED to be a well-implemented standard.

Troubleshooting Windows network issues is a massive pain. Worse, you can only troubleshoot them DURING the problem, so problems that appear to solve themselves after a while are even harder to figure out.

Things to try include forgetting the network and reconfiguring it from scratch. It's entirely possible that when you replaced the router, the settings aren't EXACTLY the same as what Windows was expecting.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
This is what I hate: I have the log....no idea what it means D:

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)
The device or resource is not responding to requests. Detected Detected
Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server) Detected Detected

The device or resource is not responding to requests.
Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) Completed

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server). If you are at home, contact your ISP. Otherwise, contact your network administrator for assistance.

Detection details Expand

Informational Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Wi-Fi driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.35.333.0
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem28.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:23:28 AM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : BCM43XNG_NT64
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_14e4&dev_4365
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface GUID: 321623bf-f7e0-45bf-8554-72782a430e94
Interface name: The Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter provides wireless local area networking.
Interface type: Native Wi-Fi

Connection incident diagnosed
Auto Configuration ID: 1
Connection ID: 1

Connection status summary
Connection started at: 2017-02-08 00:12:36-297
Profile match: Success
Pre-Association: Success
Association: Success
Security and Authentication: Success

List of visible access point(s): 5 item(s) total, 5 item(s) displayed
BSSID BSS Type PHY Signal(dB) Chnl/freq SSID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
4A-D9-E7-23-07-7B Infra <unknown> -87 11 Pontotoc Park
2C-B0-5D-25-4E-94 Infra <unknown> -69 11 Valkyrie
B0-C2-87-51-09-6F Infra <unknown> -76 6 Nearly Nu Shoppee
FC-52-8D-C9-E5-26 Infra <unknown> -42 3 Rawrz
94-62-69-7A-75-00 Infra <unknown> -88 6 ATT880

Connection History

Information for Auto Configuration ID 1

List of visible networks: 5 item(s) total, 5 item(s) displayed
BSS Type PHY Security Signal(RSSI) Compatible SSID
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infra <unknown> No 6 Yes Pontotoc Park
Infra <unknown> Yes 50 Yes Valkyrie
Infra <unknown> Yes 28 Yes Nearly Nu Shoppee
Infra <unknown> Yes 91 Yes Rawrz
Infra <unknown> Yes 4 Yes ATT880

List of preferred networks: 2 item(s)
Profile: Rawrz
SSID: Rawrz
SSID length: 5
Connection mode: Infra
Security: Yes
Set by group policy: No
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
Connectable: Yes
Profile: Valkyrie
SSID: Valkyrie
SSID length: 8
Set by group policy: No
Connectable: No
Reason: 0x00028001

Information for Connection ID 1
Connection started at: 2017-02-08 00:12:36-297
Auto Configuration ID: 1
Pre-Association and Association
Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
Profile matches network requirements: Success
Pre-association status: Success
Association status: Success
Last AP: fc-52-8d-c9-e5-26
Security and Authentication
Configured security type: WPA2-PSK
Configured encryption type: CCMP(AES)
802.1X protocol: No
Key exchange initiated: Yes
Unicast key received: Yes
Multicast key received: Yes
Number of security packets received: 0
Number of security packets sent: 0
Security attempt status: Success
Connectivity
Packet statistics
Ndis Rx: 54
Ndis Tx: 743
Unicast decrypt success: 19
Multicast decrypt success: 0
Unicast decrypt failure: 0
Multicast decrypt failure: 0
Rx success: 239
Rx failure: 212
Tx success: 93
Tx failure: 0
Tx retry: 0
Tx multiple retry: 0
Tx max lifetime exceeded: 0
Tx ACK failure: 0
Roaming history: 0 item(s)

InformationalDiagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Auto Configuration
Initialize status: Success

Interface name: The Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter provides wireless local area networking.

Result of diagnosis: There may be problem

InformationalDiagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)
Details about wireless network adapter diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Native Wi-Fi MSM
Initialize status: Success

Result of diagnosis: There may be problem

Is there somewhere to get that translated to English? Cause I have no idea what that means for FIXING the problem D:

See for a few days this problem was happening to me and mom (we were the only ones home so....no way to know if it was just us or not...but anyway) then yesterday it was just me. Maybe it's an IP address thing....and her computer finally righted itself and mine is like NOPE HATE YOU DDDDDD:

Which they're replacing the modem sometime today and if that don't work, then trying DNS...and then I'm just going to explode lol
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Unfortunately, translating that into English just says "we've got a connection to the router, but we can't communicate with a required Internet service through it." Which you mostly already knew.

If the problem is specifically something to do with DNS (as opposed to that being just a symptom of a different problem) then there are things we can do.

It's possible that your modem has a buggy DNS server. (This is annoyingly common, especially with the cheap crap you get from ISPs -- they can handle a single user but they fall apart as you start putting more load on the Internet connection.) If this is true, then web addresses that you've already looked up will continue working for a while, and connections you've already established will continue to work but new connections will fail to be established. This would produce the message you saw, and it would mean that other people on your network might not notice the outage if they're sticking to just doing the same thing the whole time.

If the problem is indeed with your router's DNS server, then the best thing to do would be to configure your computer to not use it -- which is what I had mentioned earlier. Google's DNS servers are fast, free to use, and have something like 99.999% (maybe even 99.9999%) uptime. Those servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

What I said you should look up is instructions for how to set the DNS servers. I don't know what version of Windows you're using, and the specific steps vary, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you need.

Old Posted 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
This technical stuff is beyond my but, just to share, we have net problems routinely that appear to be traffic related. Do you have a lot of things trying to connect at the same time? Phones? Stereos? Etc?

Where I'm living now we don't have the best internet so depending on how many devices are trying to attach to the wireless, the connection will just up and quit. We have to tell people to disconnect phones and such if they are't doing anything important so that the people that need it can connect.

My brother's place was dropping connections for a while, and it turned out that there was a setting that he didn't know about that capped the number of devices that could connect to the wireless. He has devices everywhere trying to connect so it was hitting max cap all the time. We fixed that and now, according to all the tech guys that come in to look at it, it's now an issue of the wireless not being able to keep up with demand.
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That's a symptom of a cheap router. I went and bought a $300 router (on sale for $150) so that it wouldn't crap out like that.

Old Posted 02-08-2017, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
My brother rarely goes cheap, especially since his work depends on a lot of this, but it is possible that it's not up to where it needs to be for the household.
Old Posted 02-11-2017, 11:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
We usually have about the same number of things connecting wirelessly at a given time, our laptops and maybe a ps3.

Question! Channels, putting it on channel 11 kicks me off, but mom's fine. Channel 3 kicks mom, but I'm fine....why would this happen? We changed it to 9 and so far, neither of us has been kicked or anything -crosses fingers-
Old Posted 02-12-2017, 01:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #11  
Different radio interference on different channels. If it's affecting you differently, it could be something as simple as where you are in the house, or it could be something to do with the physical construction of your computers and where your wifi antennas are mounted. It could also be that one of you is running on 2.4GHz and the other is running on 5GHz, although most routers have the channel settings for the two bands controlled independently instead of together because they're completely unrelated. High-end routers are capable of operating on multiple channels simultaneously for just such a reason.

Old Posted 02-12-2017, 09:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Location comes up in both the houses I hang out in. At the farm here, I'm in the basement and the internet is great down there, but my cell reception is terrible. Upstairs, the cell service improves but wireless on my phone is sketchy at best. The router is on a level roughly in between the two floors. Not sure why it likes down better than up.

My brother's place has fine internet on the main floor, but in the basement where I am it can drop from time to time, and it especially doesn't like it when I'm next to my bedroom wall. The walls are concrete down there, though not sure about the one in my bedroom.
Old Posted 02-12-2017, 11:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #13  
Wireless repeaters are great for large houses or houses with poor line of sight to the router.

Old Posted 02-12-2017, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
We're both on 2.4

I can't think of anything that would interfere with mine period...and hers? A wireless phone....but it wasn't a problem before we switched to a dual band modem. (And they do have their own separate channels when I checked)

Idk....I just know them saying we need a wifi extender is a load of crap.

We also changed something from mixed 20/40Mhz to just 20mhz....neither of us have been kicked yet? lol

@Quiet Man Cometh

Wifi signal does not go up as easily/as much as it will go down. That's why it is always suggested to put the wireless thing (modem or router) as high up as possible.
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 02-13-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old Posted 02-13-2017, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
40MHz is a mode where the router can choose to use two side-by-side channels at once. Turning it off... MIGHT hypothetically help if one of the two channels is noisy but the router doesn't realize it? I'm not sure.

The interference is mostly going to be other wifi devices nearby -- if they're not talking to you, they might as well be noise.

It's not so much that wifi has an easier time going down as it is that there's more likely to be stuff in the way down low but if you put it up high there's less furniture between you and the router.

Old Posted 02-13-2017, 01:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Channel 9 worked for a couple of days, but then internet dropped and I was kicked off of the modem again like when there was interference. But it with 20mhz lasted the longest out of my options.

Now to try channel 6. Though there are wireless things nearby that run on channel 6.

None of these problems started until we got a new modem. But we had to keep restarting our old one at least once a week. It was starting to really make me mad.

Note: a couple years back, I had a similar problem with another laptop....except that laptop I did take to other people's houses...guess what? The internet was fine there, but at home I'd get kicked all the time (except the modem/router was downstairs)
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 02-13-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old Posted 02-13-2017, 03:51 AM Reply With Quote