Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Lost in a Memory
Default   #17  
I worked in a fabric store for about 6 years, and while I don't have a "camp out" story I have stories of fun and laughter on the other side as the employees >.>;;

When I first started I had many sensei ^^;; so.. a couple tips from them were "bring an extra pair of socks, and if you have them bring an extra pair of shoes, too. You'll be surprised how much just a quick sock change helps in the middle of the day."

"take a break, don't worry about the line. That's why there's so many people on that day."

Learning to say "no, i'm sorry we do not offer rain checks on black friday sales" was one of the happiest moments of my life :)!

My mother used to go out with my aunt and do all their xmas shopping black friday (before people killed eachother over tickle me elmo). They'd shop, have lunch somewhere, and shop and then come home and hide the evidence <.<;;
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
So I have an aunt that would do the early over night shopping for her kids. Me I would never go outside. Honestly I do my best christmas shopping in january and most of my friends I make them gifts. Last year I worked on Black Friday. I work in a craft store so it was not open as early but still being up at the ass crack of dawn is annoying. No one was in the store before our normal time anyways except for a customer that bought 600 dollars worth of stuff for a birthday party and another one that bought 200 dollars for a church. Because of our door busters people try to rush in before 12 because unlike most stores we stop extreme couponers by putting time limits on our coupons. So then all hell breaks loose, and well Murphys law tends to happen. It gets ugly. I don't understand why people get rabid over fucking glitter picks or if something didn't ring up correctly. or god forbid what they are buying is printed in the coupon exceptions. (which I have memorized) I hate working black friday and wished we got time and half for it.
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 11:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #19  
I heard of Cyber Monday up here. I don't think we have "Black Friday" up here, or at least not nearly at that scale. Our big sales day is Boxing Day. Still, it's normal practice apparently for stores to stop letting people in when it gets too crowded, so people have to line up and wait for others to leave before they can get in.
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 03:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Black Friday's timing is morally wrong to me. Right after Thanksgiving people are willing to beat the crap out of someone else over a materialistic item, right after being "thankful" for what they have. I've only gone once and I vaguely remember it, but I do remember feeling tired and groggy, and since I had no money at all to buy anything it was pointless for me to go. I remember feeling left out because everyone else was buying things left and right and I was left to wander around. I felt ashamed because I had nothing to give to anyone for Christmas the next month, not even on the day of the year with the best prices to buy at. I'm going this year but I at least have $60 to spend on gifts this year which is far better than nothing.

I think of people who shop black Friday to be hypocritical and immoral. I know, I just said I'm doing it this year, but I really have no other choice unless I want to give something to only 3 people out of the many who have gone out of their way for me. Honestly I feel like I believe the way I do because of the way I was raised. I had no idea at all about black Friday until I pretty much left the family home. I don't feel like any item is worth a rampage of selfishness that can and has killed people. I'm really hoping I don't have a panic attack when the doors open and people start inconsiderately pushing everyone else out of the way. I'm just going to try really hard to stay out of people's way so I don't get trampled over. Being small as I am that is definitely a possibility. Being trampled over is what scares me the most.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Last edited by Ginger; 11-18-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 01:47 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #21  
I suppose you could try going in the afternoon? Maybe some of the madness would have worn off by then as the hardcore shoppers would have already been at it for a while. I imagine it depends on what items you are looking for, for whether or not they would still be available.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 02:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
It's partly that and the group I'm going with wants to be there early to get what they've been wanting. That and they're also my ride lol. Without them I'm kinda SOL in terms of holiday shopping. My boyfriend is pretty big though so he can stand behind me so that I don't get pushed down from some jackass behind me. I'm not completely sure of what to get people for Christmas yet so I can't do much planning ahead. I'll be thinking hard though P: I was thinking Bed Bath & Beyond for the ladies and maybe a sporting goods store for the guys, and something special for my guy :)
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #23  
Oh I can see that being a rush! We have a local Bed, Bath, and Beyond that my sister in law loves but it seems every other step costs $100.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Wow, really? Yikes. I'll have to check their deals online before I choose to go there. Can never go wrong with hygiene products to keep the peoples smelling nice :) Something people always need no matter who it is.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #25  
I'm working on Black Friday.... not looking forward to it as I'm really new to this job. But we shall see how it turns out.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Getting in the two stores I went to wasn't too bad. Tried it with a cart in the first store and couldn't get anywhere so we ditched it lol. The crowding was insane. I kinda wish Trisphee would do a Black Friday sale. I bet a lot of users would jump on that :)
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #27  
I've never gone shopping on Black Friday. My main goal for this day is to sit down, drink some tea, and wait for Cyber Monday. :D
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 10:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, I participated this year. I was at GameStop at like 11:30 to wait for them to open at 12:01. They let us in early but couldn't ring up until 12:01. The store is small so there was too many people in it for a small store, but no one was crazy or anything like that. No violence or anything.

BUT I DID GET THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY FOR HALF PRICE!

Happy happy happy
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 10:43 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #29  
i was sleeping and working, it was dead until i passed out flyers to the cars then it became busy. but not crowded/slammed

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Oh my word, I just saw this on another site.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz

And I ended up getting all my deals online. I wanted to get AC3 for $25 at the Microsoft store but they sold out within seconds.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #31  
Not much fanfare up here but not really surprised. Went out for bloodwork in the morning, had a late lunch at a very uncrowded restaurant, then crashed at home when mom went grocery shopping. We didn't even know what day it was. When mom got home she was commenting on all the good deals at the grocery store. At some point I clued in on the day. That explains the deals. :)
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Me and my friend went to Wal-Mart at almost midnight yesterday. Bought a ton of 2 dollar DVDs XD Got the last 4 of the Harry Potter dvds for 2 apiece <3 I NOW HAVE THEM ALL!
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 04:03 PM Reply With Quote