Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Bald and loving it!
Default   #33  
@coda nuuu I always thought you worked for google.
Old Posted 01-24-2015, 11:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggio View Post
@coda nuuu I always thought you worked for google.
AdSense is part of Google. >.>
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-25-2015, 01:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #35  
I have adsense on my blog.. I don't earn much because it's just a blog kept for keeping track of what I learned in japanese and what not. (Koichi from tofugu who helps people learn japanese and is co owner of wanikani suggests self study students keep one)

adsense is quite nice and i've yet to get a virus from them. I think it depends on the advertisement company places use. Flight Rising recently had to change theirs because the ads would randomly redirect people with out anyone clicking on anything. So it's all about who you get the ads from.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I still do not think ads are the solution. I think Trisphee would need to be reinvented from the inside out. I always feel like these threads are throwing patches on a worn sweater and isn't really going to fix the site in the long run. What is going to happen in a year from now or five?

The reason I asked how much you knew about business, was that any person that generally wants to start one can tell you how elaborate it is. I think when tris started, it was, or at least what I remember had the goal of being a haven away.from gaia.That goal has been meet. Trisphee had no real business plan, no investors or people who see it as a product. Eventually to grow the site would/Will have to move in that direction. It would require finding investors who could help or perhaps a kickstarter. If you have ever ran a ebay shop or etsy or even tried to go freelance I am sure you can imagine how much it would take to get trisphee to the point off making a decent revenue that is self substaining.

Ads now would more then likely detract from trisphee, and while I am not 100 sure how it works, it doesn't make sense to me to me put an add where there is little traffic. I think we would do better placing one, for example I only learned of syndome because it has an ad on the homestuck webpage. This I would only consider after trophies is fixed.
Old Posted 01-25-2015, 02:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #37  
I only mentioned the ads in my last post because people keep talking about them, especially about them causing virus's, and to subtly tell coda thanks for his work for adsense as i use it and like it on my blog.

I only offered ads as an option and in a hope to find other solutions than to rely on the user base. Mention something people DISLIKE to get discussions on what people WOULD LIKE. It doesn't have to be ads. I could be something totally different like Go Fund Me, or sending Ashy out on the internet corner. You already said you didn't like ads the first time around, so if you don't want responses about ads any more stop posting about them and get off my back about it.

And like i said, these threads WORK. They get staff motivated enough to work. Look Toho got on and posted, the Toho who hasn't logged in since november GOT ON TO POST, Toho who admitted to being lazy. Oh look, I even got you and other lurkers to post. The activity itself helps trisphee out. The more active it looks, the more people will like it. The more active staff looks, the better it is for trisphee.

And I don't need to know how to run a buisness. It's common sense that for any buisness to run, all the staff needs to work. Not just 4 out of the 12.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Last edited by Demonskid; 01-25-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old Posted 01-25-2015, 07:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
You're right mate, the threads do work. However, constructive criticism and disdain for certain things look like they're easily mixing here, and it seems we're quickly descending in to a thread of arguments and flaming.

I applaud you for jump starting things and causing a catalyst to, at the very least, get people paying attention to some things. That's really good stuff.

However, I feel like maybe people are getting a bit too personally invested here. Perhaps cool off, remember we're all here for the same stuff, and get along? Seems people are only responding to ad questioning because it's just being brought up multiple times is all. People may be shooting it down, but if we ignored everything we didn't like, we'd never get anywhere in life.

Take it as a victory, you've got people posting together who very rarely socialize together, if at all. It's a starting point. Some squabbles sure, but let's leave them at just that. Place has always been kind and accepting of differing opinions, no reason to sully that track record now.
Old Posted 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #39  
Okay, not going to read all these walls of posts. x'D I'll put something in as an addition to the ads idea. On another site I play there's ads they recently implemented that don't have sound, and don't have all that flashiness. On top of that I WANTED to click on these ads. Want to know why? They were ads for web comics. Yes, I'm addicted to web comics, and yes a TON of other people are addicted to them as well. If you can work with a web comic site in doing that, they can probably help advertise Trisphee on their site, and in the long run you'll be helping each other out because you'll both be expanding your user base/activity. And as far as I know there's been no issues with with viruses or pop-ups with the ones that this one site did. So even if you're not getting any money from the ads it can help draw people in.

As another note, I personally love to RP, I'm on basically everyday when possible. I can totally RP a character if I know them well enough, just I can't dedicate my time as a mod for the site, even more so because I'm working about 30 hours a week and I just started classes back up, and let's not forget that I'm the only one that cleans the apartment in my family. =.=; But if need be I can volunteer to do the RPing. :3

Last edited by ml1201; 01-25-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old Posted 01-25-2015, 11:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame-Aiko View Post
o////u///o Thank you! I hope so as well. I hope college life isn't too busy by the time I'm eighteen.
Can I, like, adopt you :|
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 04:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #41  
Ads:

If we do run ads I'd prefer to go with something really well-targeted. Despite working for AdSense I'm not certain that AdSense would be ideal -- but I'm also not sure I'd want, say, Project Wonderful either. (Though I'd prefer Project Wonderful over most alternatives!) Personally I was leaning towards selling ad slots to users (maybe even for runes) and backfilling to something else like Project Wonderful when there's not enough inventory to avoid showing the same ad too many times. (I'm going to have to ask Toho to write the code for this, though, since it'd be contractually iffy for me to work on it myself.)

Roleplaying:

RP is a big deal on Trisphee and always has been. We can't run RP events like the first Taskal War anymore because those simply aren't manageable at scale, but I want to know -- what would make RP better for you guys, as users?

Reinventing Trisphee:

I don't think we can get away with this. We just got a big influx of users who came here because their old site tried to reinvent itself. We're better off improving what we have and adding new things.

Meta-discussion:

I've not taken anything in this thread as flaming. I see passionate users wanting the best for the site, and I'm thankful for that.

We've actually been working on stuff in the background even before anyone said anything. :P So it's not like we weren't trying and the thread kicked us into action. The thread just made us say something publicly.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-26-2015, 03:47 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Well, I know someone mentioned this before and you I think said it wasn't possible, but something like a dream avatar thing where we can create characters using the item database instead of having to look up pictures from something else (it usually can take me hours before I find one I like ^^; ) and several of the sites I'm on have this as an option which is why I'm suggesting it. And maybe, as someone suggested, have special things for users who are active in the RP thread, something simple like borders that are made for the avis. Borders can be very simple and don't need to be complex. Like maybe a wall with a see through window or something. Or just a trim alone the avi's box for it. Heck, I could probably make something simple like that if I tried. ^^;

Yes, please don't change Trisphee, I'm one of those mentioned people. ^^;

And thanks for looking this thread over. :3

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #43  
I didn't say it wasn't possible -- it's actually pretty darn easy. I just said that as a matter of policy we'd much rather have such a thing done by a third party. Not only would such a thing be more things we'd have to maintain in terms of developer-hours, but we'd also have to be very careful in making sure that the only items available in the dream avatar editor are the items that have actually been released to the public.

I AM, however, amenable to the idea of preview-only items that you can get for free but can't save onto your avatar.

I am also completely in support of making it easier to search for items that you want in the shops. I have plans for this but there's a ridiculous number of man-hours necessary to make it happen, not all of them code-related.

These two features together will get most of the way to a dream avatar creator.

I've also got a longstanding plan for post flobs that I just haven't had time to iron out -- not specifically something you asked about but related enough to warrant mentioning.

The main problem I have with the idea of visibly tagging certain users in a thread is that it implies a concept of thread ownership that Trisphee explicitly does not have in the general case. This isn't an insurmountable concern, but I'd need to brainstorm with the staff to figure out how we would want to handle this.

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Well, it could just be a random thing we get from posting, not really needing to fulfill certain requirements or anything, and could probably be applied to other parts of the site. Kind of like with the souls but happening at random. This would allow everyone to have a chance at the items and they can also be traded for those who would want to collect them. *cough*likme*cough*

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 07:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #45  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1201 View Post
Well, it could just be a random thing we get from posting, not really needing to fulfill certain requirements or anything, and could probably be applied to other parts of the site. Kind of like with the souls but happening at random. This would allow everyone to have a chance at the items and they can also be traded for those who would want to collect them. *cough*likme*cough*
Sorry, what context are you referring to here?

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 07:42 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
The posting thing where we get items. x'D I tend to go off the road at times, sorry. ^^;

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 07:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #47  
OH. I see that I misunderstood you the first time! I thought you were suggesting having the forum software put a border around the avatars of e.g. people participating in the current thread's RP.

I don't have a problem with the idea of coming up with a set of posting reward items that have a small chance of getting granted with every post. I'll swing it by the staff.

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 08:48 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Sorry, thought I might have confused you. x'D

Old Posted 01-26-2015, 09:21 PM Reply With Quote