Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #17  
Beauty and the Beast was among the first animated films I think to be nominated for Best Picture (Bambi might have been another but I'm not sure). I love that movie, and the music in particular.

I imagine Greek myths get tweaked all the time, expecially since there isn't any one official version, but I think Disney went beyond that right into butchery. Core traits of the gods were changed, certain myths were crossed (I'm pretty sure some of the monsters Hercules killed were actually killed by other heroes), the reason for the labours was changed, (not sure if they were really labours at all, been a while since I've seen the film. Only watched it once).

If it wasn't "Hercules" I don't think I would have cared. It worked as a Greek themed mythical story, more or less. I don't think it would have caused many problems if they gave their hero a different, unknown name rather than Hercules.

There was a recent documentary on the history of Walt and the Disney company that was really interesting, and covered much of what happened while Walt was there. They did a lot of phenomenal stuff, but there are always going to be gripes about some things. Disney does make stuff for kids and they aren't the only people that censor material from certain stories to make them presentable for a younger audience, but I do think there are some things which just shouldn't be editted in that way. It's not just Disney that does that but being really big and really easy to spot I imagine they take the most hits over it.
Old Posted 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggio View Post
Reading this thread has made me sad. There is a documentary called Waking Sleeping Beauty and its about all the good Disney movies made between 1989 and 1994. And how Beauty and the Beast was the best movie they made before their amazing song artist died. I suggest any one who wants to know about Disney and its struggles watch that movie.
Do you know where I can see this documentary for free? ;D
Old Posted 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #19  
Alias I do not, my friend bought it because she is such a beauty and the beast fan, I would say try netflix as we all know anything Disney is not label to escape their grasp for free.
Old Posted 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
awww =(
My parents have netflix but I'm waaay to self conscious to try and watch downstairs. I'm gonna get that "REALLY?" reaction from everyone. The only Disney fan in the house :C
Old Posted 11-11-2011, 10:35 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Default   #21  
pfffffft, put on some home made cardboard mouseketteer ears, pop up some popcorn and just smile benignly at them when they ask.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 11-12-2011, 12:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Demon of Obsession
Lol, don't be afraid to show your disney fan side. xD But, even as a fan, some of their movies are way . . .how can you say it . .wrong. As a kid, I don't tend to pay close attention, now all grown up, it seems disturbing in some parts. Like mentioned before, Pocahontas. I know they were trying to make it reasonable, but twisting the facts to be so off xD; And watching the subliminal messages video on Youtube doesn't help my opinion.

I find that the movies now a days lost the quality of the past movies of Disney. *sighs* If they would make movies of the same quality as Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. But, I guess time and other things are always changing.
Old Posted 11-12-2011, 03:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Wild Tiger
Default   #23  
I am a huge Disney fan.

But that is because I don't CARE if they change an original story and only take basic ideas.
After all, I don't think any Disney film has ever claimed to be true to its source, has it?
The movies are all (well, all traditional animated movies, not that 3D stuff) very very good in my opinion.

I don't care for the accusations of patrotism (is NOT negative), rassism (only a racist/paranoid person would care, imho), violence (ever watched Watership Down?), etc.

After all, a Disney movie does not erase the original story.
Just because Disney made The Little Mermaid does not mean that the original book magically disappears. Everyone can still read it and enjoy BOTH stories.
Disney movies were never meant to be close adaptions, were they? So why complain?
I just don't understand it.

Old Posted 11-12-2011, 03:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
I enjoyed most disney movies, only problems are with some of the newer ones....I swear im not racist, but i just didnt like the frog movie, though the original story isny my favorite either. Tangled was great, though i twitched when they pulled the whole Shrek "bad guys are actually good guys who are misunderstood and like singing" bit -_- ive only seen Pocahontas once a long time ago so i dont remember much...
Old Posted 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #25  
@Lost: I did not like the frog princess either. my friends did not seem to realize the reasons I did not. It has nothing about it being the black princess movie and more about, well damn Disney banked on musical movies and I felt like it just didn't deliver. I could watch the old disney movies many times, but Tangled and Princess and the frog I have only watched once through.
Old Posted 11-12-2011, 11:29 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
My mom had the same opinion of Frog Princess. It just didn't feel up to Disney's usual standards as far as musicals go.

Oh, and it wasn't Patriotism, Kotetsu (haven't heard of that being a Disney failing), it was Patriarchy; entirely different concept, and one I'm not going to get into because it leads to a train wreck of politics.
Old Posted 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #27  
I did like Princess and the Frog. Because...I like the fact that it is the girl finding her prince, but not being completely dependent on him and the like.

I took it as it's meant-a little kid's movie that can entertain older people too (like when I went to see the Lion King in 3D....I was like the only one there without a child lol). But no one else has to like it-I like some weird movies and I can admit it.
Old Posted 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Treasure Planet is one of my favourites, my stepsister and I watch it all the time. I know it is also a book unterpretation and I should be mad at is I suppose but the changes to setting and time are radical enough that I found it really fun and didn't even bother comparing it to the original story, even though I don't remember it all that well. I'd like to see Disney go with more stuff like that.

I also think it was just well done. :)
Old Posted 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #29  
I wish Disney would play the Thirteenth Year again on their channel. That was a good movie....I remember when every month they'd have a new movie every month...and I'd like it....and I think normally they were movies with real people in them...on their channel only-not in theaters or anything.
Old Posted 11-15-2011, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Princess And The Frog: What did people have an issue with this exactly? I personally think there were worse musical music in previous ones. There was a phase in the 90s where it seems music and animation quality dropped dramatically for awhile. "Other Side" and "Dig a Little Deeper" were my favorites in the movie. Although I wish Mama Oddie's song was more balanced Naveed-Tia wise.

Tangled: Interesting I could actually bother to watch this one again. True they pulled the same bad guys are good guys bit from Shrek but also it's a Pixar-Dreamworks Film. Not Disney. The music wasn't like...super amazing. Doesn't lack too much quality to me. Characters and Storytelling were solid. Mother Gothel is my favorite character. She is kinda static but her manipulation, despite her weak points, are just...wow. I don't exactly expect sophistication like that bothered by writers in a movie like this.

Treasure Planet: hmm...I need to watch this again. I recall relating very well with Hawkins and of course being a fan of sci-fi and stuff I thought the world set up was very neat. The scene with Hawkins and Silvers in the dingy reminded me a lot of Titan A.E. In a good way.

Thirteenth Year: I liked it the first time I saw it. But having rewatched it recently on Disney Channel it isn't all that great in my opinion. ;>.>
Old Posted 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #31  
Well, I'm not saying it's great.....just saying that you can't say the story was wrong or didn't follow something. It was an original movie not based on anything historically or not.
Old Posted 11-16-2011, 04:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
There were plenty of adult things in Disney films if you go back and listen to what they say.
Old Posted 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM Reply With Quote