Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default   #17  
Well, no one would buy the laptop without some type of OS on it...and I feel like any that come with a free OS (like linux) should be at least 50 dollars cheaper than the windows version (since linux is free, but someone had to put it on there).

I think a key should come with the computer due to that...and a recovery disk...and an upgrade to recovery USB for an added fee especially when the recovery media maker doesn't work (-narrows eyes at Toshiba for this one-)

To buy windows 10, for those who get a new laptop or whatever, it's 100+ dollars....for one system. That's insane. Linux is free...and yes, it sucks in its own way...but FREE...supposedly this will be the 'last' windows and it will just be updates and stuff from here...make it free period so everyone will think about getting it...so keys and the like aren't needed...and charge for services...like buy office 2016 OR a subscription to this thing that will be updated to the newest version.

Note: I have never owned a Mac due to prices...though I've used them and I like photo booth? Dislike safari, but firefox and/or chrome is compatible and I like those :D

It would be different if you didn't need an operating system, but you kind of do, you know? (Oh and technically when you buy an OS, you never own it anyway...it's all the kind of renting it thing...and so I still want a key...I don't want to worry about what if this hard drive crashes and I can't get an OS back on it when I get a new hard drive)

I rant a lot. Sorry .-.
Old Posted 03-27-2016, 01:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I didn't mean that laptops should ship bare. I meant that Microsoft should distribute the operating system free-of-charge including to laptop manufacturers. And at that point, the license key wouldn't be necessary, because the operating system IS, in fact, free of charge, so worst case scenario you just go get another copy of it if you need to; Windows 10 is almost there as it is because you can log in with your Microsoft account online and download a DVD image and burn it yourself from another computer for nothing more than the cost of the blank DVD or blank USB stick.

Otherwise, what you've said is exactly what I was saying.

Macs do cost more, but that's because they're built better. Mac laptops have better screens than almost any Windows laptop you'll ever pick up. They're more rugged than most Windows laptops (the laptop I'm typing on survived an adult male landing on it after falling down in the rain). They last longer on a charge than most Windows laptops. They're lighter and less bulky than most Windows laptops without having smaller keyboards. You CAN find Windows laptops that are physically comparable to a Mac, but at that point you're paying almost as much.

And then there's the software side of things: They require less maintenance after purchase. You almost never have to worry about compatibility issues. You almost never have to worry about it having problems waking up from sleep.

(Safari has fallen from grace, I agree. In Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, Safari was a really good browser compared to the other options, but Safari's development hasn't been proceeding as fast as Chrome technologically. Firefox is an also-ran, though; it's clunky by comparison to Chrome and Safari, although it is finally catching up at least.)
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-27-2016, 11:41 AM Reply With Quote