are on today. like courage the cowardly dog
        that show is creepy as i don't know what
        but i still love watching it . xD

i could go on and on about how all the stations i used to watch
        suck now but seriously what happened D:

CS what's with all the live action shows
        on cartoon stations? and why has cartoon network
        changed so much?

it just seemed out of the blue they took out all the good.
        ; m ;
Old Posted 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Live action shows on CN and live action shows, no music on MTV and VH-1...it's cable's way of telling us they suck and we should go play outside or read a book. :-(

I'm pretty sure it's the bottom line. That, and perhaps the more demanding audience has strayed to the internet, so they get their fix there, and the TV has to cater to what's left.
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM Reply With Quote  
MUTANT D:
Default   #3  
I agree with Vox, all the people intelligent enough to care have left for the internet where they can get whatever they want with just a few minutes of streaming.

But what I want to know, what is with all the freaking reality shows?! So many dancing with the stars, biggest loser, american idol, john and kate plus eight, bridezilla knock offs have crowded the channels. They're not even amusing. They're just plain boring. I don't watch T.V. To watch someone else's life. I watch to get away from mine. Fah. And they're all my mom seems to want to watch.
Old Posted 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Reality shows are at least partially scripted, so I hear -- but they're cheap to produce and you don't have to pay Writer's Guild fees.

As for why they have soooo many fans - idk either! Whatever happened to being interested in neighborhood gossip??
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #5  
      • i don't even think i watch tv on the internet. i'm on forums half the time. the only thing i still watch is maybe 1000 ways to die because it's so amusing but i hardy stray from the internet or my PS3. D:

ugh i hate most reality shows. is cake boss considered one? i love seeing the cakes and all the food competitions it's so cool. a pirate ship made out of sugar, too cool!
Old Posted 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with Cartoon Network. Flapjack (although now ended) and Adventure Time! give me some hope for the channel (and they have their weird ass moments too, Flapjack mostly though.), but the live action stuff has got to stop.
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #7  
I don't have the attention span to care about bickering house wives or people from NJ.
I do miss old cartoons I grew up on bus bunny who was a crossdressing violent fool, along with the rest of the loony toons.
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 03:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Leagues Under the Sea
*pokes thread*

Mizeria's sister
Renata is my boyfriend! <3 He's mine no touchy!
Book Haven Closet
Lace and Chains: Hearts Intertwined
Airina's House of Antiques

Old Posted 02-02-2011, 04:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Best thing since cheese-in-a-can!
Default   #9  
There was a lot more you could get away with as far as violence and dark/crude humor went on TV in the early-mid 90s than there is now. Plus, there's a lot of parents that don't want their offspring cartoons because "it doesn't accurately portray reality" and whatnot.

My take on that is... that's kind of the whole point of cartoons; they're an escape from reality. It's true that you sometimes get sick, dememted minds like mine as a result of way too much time watching cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life, but an hour or two of today's cartoons isn't going to kill anybody.

I agree with the whole CN fiasco. They should start calling it "Canadian Reality Network" or something like that since a lot of the shows that are coming onto the channel now are made in Canada. (I'm not bashing Canada, btw, I'm simply stating a fact) The whole network is getting more and more abstract, too. It's not specific- or even identifiable -characters in their network promotions anymore for the most part, it's big blocks of color and whatnot. I thought I was watching a clothing commercial or something the other day when I saw one of their "You're watching Cartoon Network!" commercial bits!

Emperor of Japan*Anonymous Fiend
Nikko, Kaguya, and Toki are my siblings

Reyo has an art thread!
Click the adorable tentacle creature!
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
      • tara:
        i really enjoyed flapjack. ; n ;
        why did they even end it? i don't even know why it started

pog:
        oh yes loony tunes <3 those were the days
        and the chuck jones hour they had in early 2000. it was a nice ride we had
        though before cartoon network changed

airi:
        o u o

rey:
        i truly despise parents like that. if you didn't want your child to
        watch it then why not change the station or tell them to go outside.
        lol canadian reality network. yea! i really like teh bumps with the cartoons
        walking around that city, that was really cool i think that was in '03.
        and cartoon cartoon <3 or cartoon fridays. everything just kept changing
        and i don't have much hope for the future. but maybe another station
        will come along.
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #11  
I miss stuff like Angry Beavers and Ren and Stimpy, mostly. o: Those are on Netflix now so someday soon I need to have a cartoony marathon.
deviantART | Ernya | Tumblr | Art Tumblr

ADDYQUEST////backslash

º∆º
sell me yo' runes
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipple ring View Post
tara:
i really enjoyed flapjack. ; n ;
why did they even end it? i don't even know why it started
I actually don't know why the show was cancelled, but I have noticed Thurop Van Orman (who created the show) has mentioned a few times that he has a hard time being settle, so it may have been that he ended the show to work on a new project. He seems to be working on something called Black Forest, but I have no idea if it's to be a show or what. (He has a dA account, by the way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyoki View Post
There was a lot more you could get away with as far as violence and dark/crude humor went on TV in the early-mid 90s than there is now. Plus, there's a lot of parents that don't want their offspring cartoons because "it doesn't accurately portray reality" and whatnot.
CHILDREN do not accurately portray reality. You could give them nothing but an empty room and a stick, and it won't be an hour before that stick is a sword, a person, a wand, a tree, a building, a bridge, broken in two to become nun chucks and later, a set of antlers, and at some point, drum sticks. If childhood resembled the reality of adulthood, they would be carried off to mental hospitals for believing in monsters in the closet and the explanation for having presents under the tree is, absolutely, because of a man with flying reindeer.
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #13  
XD I like how cartoon network cancel shows but magically they still air. My favorite example of this of course is ed edd'n eddy. I was a huge fan and they stop production of it for a long time. Then suddenly it has a small cult fandom they make new episodes then stop, then wayyy after suddenly a tv movie pops up. The same thing happened with Futurama. Eventually Futurama after 4 or more movies is now making new episodes.

I believe with all my heart that as long as the fans are loyal the CN executives will discover that "Live action cartoons" don't work on that network. Unfortunately its not just CN that is having problems with its cartoons. I don't know about any one else but 4 hours of spongebob is not amusing. Neither is Tuff Puppy or Back in the barnyard. I throughly miss Danny Phantom and Avatar the last Airbender.

Although admittedly I find the guy in destroy build destroy very cute.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 03:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Mahou Shoujo
Y'know that's why I don't watch TV anymore :P
No idea what happened..... but it sure wasn't good Dx
Aiko wants MINDSLAVES, pm her to be one!
Mindslaves: 3
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Its a Trap!
Default   #15  
I agree with that first statement, Vox. C:

There are some pretty dark cartoons on today if you look. Also quite a few sexual undertones... its just the ones on stations meant for little LITTLE kids and the ones that are on really early that are cutesy and about singing.
I'm a boy.

Uke is Taiki's favorite uke. <3

Art by Taiki.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Welcome to the world of reruns. The funny thing about the Ed, Edd 'n Eddy movie was that it was available in other countries quite sooner than it was in the US. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a Canadian show, so it wouldn't surprise me if they got it first, but AUSTRALIA aired it before it was on in the US. I have to wonder if it's because of the "sexton" joke. Pffft. Like kids would get it anyways, and if they did, well then, it's too late to really be hiding them from these things now, isn't it?

I saw one episode of T.U.F.F. Puppy and I use the term "saw" loosely. I mean, it was on the TV, but I think I was focusing on a jigsaw puzzle instead. The only thing that made me look up was suddenly hearing an awkward moment where the main character kissed a male villain who was disguised as a girl. That was a little surprising, but once it was over, I went back to the puzzle. And it's a little disappointing, I mean, it was created by BUTCH HARTMAN. He created Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom. (Danny Phantom was my pressed my limit of teen-y though.) Oh well, like I said, I barely watched one episode, so I can't judge it too harshly.

Network Executives, it seems to me, only understand ratings. If there's a significantly higher amount of viewers watching the cartoons instead of the live action shows, they should go away eventually. Not instantly, but eventually. I think Cartoon Network is slowly coming back though. Adventure Time!, Mad TV (as long as it stays as the last show before Adult Swim, I think it will do fairly well), Sym-Bionic Titan maybe. It's a process.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote