Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Black Mistress of Purple
Default   #17  
Interesting on the hold but it does a large jump and still messes me up, lol.
There a way to do the A and D keys as an alternative to the forward and backward arrow keys?
My DeviantART
I get distracted easily, Private Message me for faster responses.
Old Posted 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
I didn't even realize that you didn't lose a life haha
It seems slowing it down is the only way it'll let me jump more than once or any at all

But I do wish the reverse gravity was a different button though

Sergeant Pup
Old Posted 11-29-2015, 11:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
Nothing more wrong with the core game than there is wrong with pinball -- I didn't come up with the idea on my own; there's a long history of pinball giving you free retries if the ball goes straight down the drain.

I almost didn't put it in -- it was an off-the-cuff "oh, huh, that would actually be really easy to implement" while I was putting in the life counter. The main reason I decided on it was to make it easier for new players to get the feel for how the controls work. A secondary reason was because the game is supposed to be roughly equivalent in fairness to the crane game, and so I don't want players to feel cheated by missing the first platform.

EDIT:

Obsidian, the height of the jump is totally controllable, just like Mario -- you let go of the button, you immediately zero your vertical velocity and start falling.

Hero, I'm wondering about your computer too, if the controls feel so insensitive that you can't jump when it's going the normal speed.

I'll... see about adding reverse-gravity on a different button. I really don't like the idea, but everyone is complaining about it.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-29-2015, 11:58 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
um.. this isn't pinball... it's a platformer >x>;;;;; that is like saying 'well just using white sugar works in sugar cookies it'll do in chocolate chip ones too'. the chemistry is all wrong and gives it an off taste. don't give your game an off taste just because it is easier than putting in a little extra work to do it right. people will not want to play it and trisphee does /not/ need a misfire
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
Default   #21  
It might just be my browser to be honest
I mainly use safari when I'm on Trisphee
(I know firefox is popular but it gave itself a virus before and I don't trust it)
I'll have to try it on chrome and see if it works better

Sergeant Pup
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 12:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I don't know what you're talking about "do it right." The alternative is that I remove the forgiveness and leave it otherwise as it is, because the fact of the matter is, the mechanics are correct. It's just HARD. The whole GAME is hard. It's SUPPOSED to be hard. That's why you get three lives and the item balls show up as frequently as they do.

I can land that first jump 100% of the time. I know not everyone can. I want to give a friendly way to ease the start of the game for a new player. This is the most straightforward way to do it.

I can't make the game easier. I mean, I COULD, it's not that particularly hard. I could make the ledges longer. I could make the speed start slower. But the game is balanced around giving an average player three meaningful shots at grabbing ONE item, just like the crane game, while still giving better players something fun to do. I CAN'T balance the game around people who can't get the hang of the mechanics, because then it's boring for the people who can.

EDIT: Safari OUGHT to work fine but I suppose there's a possibility there's an event handling difference. I should test it more in Safari myself.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 12:51 AM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
Default   #23  
I just tried a quick couple of games in chrome and it works so much better than it does in safari.
I guess if I ever want to play I'll just have to switch browsers c:

Sergeant Pup
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
If Safari has performance problems, then I should switch to developing in Safari (I do most of my work on a Mac) to optimize around it.

Ironically, Internet Explorer performs surprisingly well.

Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:06 AM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
Default   #25  
I know safari isn't the most popular browser and switching browser doesn't hurt anybody either

oh my god I haven't used IE in forever o_o

Sergeant Pup
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
Ok, I played again just now. Dunno if you made any edits or not, but the spacebar worked perfectly this time. The usage of the arrow keys still difficult for me. My hands are more trained to use the A & D keys to go left/right since that's usually the main keys for most all games on movements. XP

It's addicting, I give it that. The high score still doesn't change for me, tho. It says 0 even tho I've gotten up to almost 300.
My DeviantART
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #27  
Yeah, I haven't fixed the high score bug -- I didn't change any of it, actually, so I don't know why it's suddenly behaving better for you.

Wait... No, I did make one change, but I made it late last night; there was a bug causing mouse movements to trigger the buttons. If it had been since midday yesterday since you'd played before, that could explain it.

Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
If you add a secondary button for gravity reversal, please keep the space bar double tap as well. It takes a second to get used to but I like it. If I miss a jump, my thumb is still on the space bar to quickly correct my screw up. Having a fourth button to worry about would be a detriment. For me, anyway.
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:30 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I don't know what you're talking about "do it right." The alternative is that I remove the forgiveness and leave it otherwise as it is, because the fact of the matter is, the mechanics are correct. It's just HARD. The whole GAME is hard. It's SUPPOSED to be hard. That's why you get three lives and the item balls show up as frequently as they do.

I can land that first jump 100% of the time. I know not everyone can. I want to give a friendly way to ease the start of the game for a new player. This is the most straightforward way to do it.

I can't make the game easier. I mean, I COULD, it's not that particularly hard. I could make the ledges longer. I could make the speed start slower. But the game is balanced around giving an average player three meaningful shots at grabbing ONE item, just like the crane game, while still giving better players something fun to do. I CAN'T balance the game around people who can't get the hang of the mechanics, because then it's boring for the people who can.

coda. do not bullshit me >x> do not bullshit yourself, you see all of these people telling you the game is buggy and beyond the pale difficult and you are trying to tell me the game is fine? darling, you are either making the game intentionally garbage or else you are not listening. just because you, the developer, can play the game well does not mean anyone else can, there is feedback from others saying the game is insta-killing them and that the start of the game already puts them at a disadvantage(being in the middle of a ledge not the far left). you might consider listening

if you want my opinion, as someone who has been playing platformers since he was four, i suggest you either give the player a couple inches if non-moving space so they can decide when they are ready and can gauge that first jump or fix it so there is sufficient ledge room for the player's brain to get accustomed and the first play is no longer the 'have to die' play for the bulk of the people coming in. you -need- no make your game accessible to people who are new to the game otherwise when the ones already accustomed to it get bored there will no longer be players, and, if you mush make it even then lengthen the level or ad multi-levels or modify the game so the level gets progressively harder as you go through and not just stupid-hard throughout
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:41 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
you might consider pulling apart and looking at simplified platformers(and playing some of them in a clean state to see what they do to make their games accessible to people of varying degrees of skill
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
Default   #31  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salone View Post
If you add a secondary button for gravity reversal, please keep the space bar double tap as well. It takes a second to get used to but I like it. If I miss a jump, my thumb is still on the space bar to quickly correct my screw up. Having a fourth button to worry about would be a detriment. For me, anyway.
That's actually what me and someone else is having experiencing troubles with on occasion... It's not that we can't double-tap the spacebar, it's just that jumping quickly as it seems the design of the game is about causes the game to think we're double-tapping and engaging the gravity... I'd rather not have the spacebar double-tap for gravity at all. =\
I know I'm not having issues with it right now.

Edit
How about a design to have multiple options for the button placements?
My DeviantART
Last edited by Obsidian; 11-30-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 01:51 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
customizable config would be nice, though, would that work for an imbedded game?
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote