Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

writing machine in bad repair
Default Book Recommendation Resource [OPEN]   #1  
Book Recommendation Resource

• Categorized by genre.
  • Graphic novels and manga are allowed to be recommended. They are labeled as such on the Book/Author line.

• Post your recommendations in this thread, or PM them to me.

• If you want to recommend something that's a mixture of genres, try to figure out what it is most. Descriptions of each genre are coming soon, which will hopefully help you out in deciding.

Code for recommendation:

HTML Code:
[B]Genre:[/B] 
[B]Title:[/B]
[B]Author:[/B]
[B]Synopsis:[/B]
[B]Why do you recommend this book?[/B]

[b]Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel?[/b]
Action/Adventure
Comedy/Humor

Fantasy

Historical Fiction

Horror/Thriller

Mystery

Romance

Science Fiction

Non-Fiction

Since vBulletin doesn't seem to have a system of jumping to posts, each of these links opens a new page
but it still... jumps to the post. I don't quite understand it. Anyways, if you don't want new pages to open, just press
CONTROL+F (PC) or COMMAND+F (Mac) in your browser and type the genre into your "search" function.
It should find it pretty quickly.

Last edited by johnny; 08-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Action/Adventure

(No recommendations at this time.)
Last edited by johnny; 08-25-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #3  
Comedy/Humor

(cross-genre with sci-fi)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
, Douglas Adams
Earthman Arthur Dent is having a very bad day. His house is about to be bulldozed, he discovers that his best friend is an alien and to top things off, Planet Earth is about to be demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass. Arthur's only chance for survival: hitch a ride on a passing spacecraft. For the novice space traveler, the greatest adventure in the universe begins when the world ends. Arthur sets out on a journey in which he finds that nothing is as it seems: he learns that a Towel is just the most useful thing in the universe, finds the meaning of life, and discovers that everything he needs to know can be found in one book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny
This is a modern classic. It's wittiness at its finest, and Douglas Adams is a well-deserved humorist legend. He is, without a doubt, the one writer I would want to model my own style after. Unfortunately, I never could: Douglas Adams was a one-of-a-kind genius and to match him would be impossible.
Last edited by johnny; 01-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Fantasy

The Last Wish, Andrzej Sapkowski
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. His sole purpose is to destroy the monsters that plague the world, but not everything monstrous-looking is evil, and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flame.leaf
This has to be, by far, my favorite book series of all time. It revitalised my interest in fantasy with it's tone and atmosphere, which totally throws aside Tolkien-esque High Fantasy and gives you a dark, realistic, and dare I say modern world. No destined heroes or noble kings and evil warlord here. There is racism, there is terrorism, there is pollution, there is corruption, and there are real monsters.
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (translated by Katherine Woods)
When a pilot crashes into the desert and meets a young prince from another world, he is forced to look at the world with different eyes through stories the young prince tells him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneberry
This book is unique in the fact that although it seems like a children's book, even adults can enjoy it if in the right mind-set. It is very symbolic in many aspects and can be mind-opening if you let it. It was a very fun book, and I'd even read it again if I could. I also like that it really relates to the author, who was a pilot and had been in a few plane crashes like the narrator of the story.
(cross-genre with romance)
A Great And Terrible Beauty
, Libba Bray
It's 1895, and after the suicide of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped off from the life she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma's reception there is a chilly one. To make things worse, she's been followed by a mysterious young Indian man, a man sent to watch her. But why? What is her destiny? And what will her entanglement with Spence's most powerful girls—and their foray into the spiritual world—lead to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Katy
It's intriguing, compelling, has its moments of passion, and some moments of sheer terror! You don't know what to expect when you turn the page. Overall a fascinating and exciting read!
Last edited by johnny; 01-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #5  
Historical Fiction

(Cross-genre with fantasy)
His Majesty's Dragon
, Naomi Novik
When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future - and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarefied world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France's own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte's boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazemon
One of the only books that manages to mix fantasy and history together nicely. It's very well written and it's easy to get lost in the story, never a slow point.
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
In 1959, a fierce, evangelical Baptist, Nathan Price takes his four young daughter, his wife, and his mission to the Belgian Congo - a place, he is sure, where he can save needy souls. Told from the perspective of Price's family, it's a story of mistakes, consequences, heartbreak, and the parallel destruction of a family and a nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny
This book is just beautifully written and tragic. I read it for my Literature class a few semesters ago, and it's become one of my favorite books. Kingsolver's words paint an image of the Congo exquisitely, and illustrate the tragedy of the characters just as well.
Last edited by johnny; 01-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Horror/Thriller

MANGA Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Ryukishi17
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa, which has a population of approximately 2,000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Houjou. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games. Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Katy
The thrill of confusion, the tenderness of your stomach as you read, and the haunting images that cannot be erased from your mind presents a wonderful horror story! Though scared stiff on some parts, I couldn't remove my eyes from each page.
Last edited by johnny; 01-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Default   #7  
Mystery

Chain Mail, Hiroshi Ishizaki
A girl named Yukari contacts a few other middle school/high school girls about starting a roleplay/writing a story together on the internet to escape the boring everyday life. It's gonna be a real thriller. She asks them to sign up as the one of characters she has made up. They all agree and they start writing but soon a couple of things don't seem right and one of the girls mysteriously disappears. They begin to question if they can trust someone you haven't met in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
I read this book in Swedish so I'm not sure if it exists in English. ( I totally like translated it right from the back. xD ) I wanna recommend this book cause I am a very picky reader who prefers manga. It's not that long and it really made me keep reading without resting. There are many modern Japanese everyday references so if you know nothing about Japan it might get confusing. I didn't have that problem though as I had been there two times before I read it.
Last edited by johnny; 01-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Romance

Last edited by johnny; 08-25-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Default   #9  
Science Fiction

Last edited by johnny; 08-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Non-Fiction

Last edited by johnny; 08-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Default   #11  
Reserved, just in case.
Last edited by johnny; 08-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 03:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Okay, everyone's now free to recommend stuff.

Old Posted 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Gackt's bodyguard
Default   #13  
I wanna recommend a book called "Chain mail" by Hiroshi Ishizaki on Mystery/Thriller ( Maybe both I dunno ) xD category. A girl called Yukari contacts a few other middle school/high school girls about starting a roleplay/writing a story together on the internet and escape the boring everyday life. It's gonna be a real thriller. And she asks them to sign up as the one of characters she have made up. They all agree and they start writing but soon a couple of thing don't seem right and one of the girls mysteriously disappears. They begin to question if they can trust someone you haven't met in real life.

I read this book in Swedish so I'm not sure if it exists in English. ( I totally like translated it right from the back. xD ) I wanna recommend this book cause I am a very picky reader who prefers manga. It's not that long and it really made me keep reeding without resting. There are many modern Japanese everyday references so if you know nothing about Japan it might get confusing. I didn't have that problem though as I had been there two times before I read it.

If you can read this it means you have passed the first grade, congratulations.
Old Posted 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Okay, so that's not a manga, then?

(Also, for the future, everyone please use the form for recommending things. It makes it easier for me to add them to the list.)

Old Posted 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Gackt's bodyguard
Default   #15  
Sorry, and no it's not manga. xD

If you can read this it means you have passed the first grade, congratulations.
Old Posted 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
This seems quite useful, I shall probably recommend my fair share in the future C:

Genre: Historical Fiction
Title: His Majesty's Dragon
Author: Naomi Novik
Synopsis: When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future - and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarefied world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France's own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte's boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.
Why do you recommend this book? One of the only books that manages to mix fantasy and history together nicely. It's very well written and it's easy to get lost in the story, never a slow point.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? Book
Old Posted 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM Reply With Quote