Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Snap!
Default Stereotypes~   #1  
So I just got a comment from my boyfriend about my avatar. He said it looks "Goth".

Now, I've never referred to stereotypes on avatar sites. I might think "Dark", "Cute" or "Angelic" as opposed to Goth or Jesus freak, but I never really thought of them as stereotypes on here until now. I guess avatar sites have different labels than in real life.

What is your opinion about labels on avatar sites? How about in real life? Have you been labeled? Have you ever found yourself labeling anyone by their appearance?

It is perfectly normal to label and be labeled. It might not be agreed that it's right or wrong to label, but it has become a part of human life, whether it is a positive or negative label~
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 01:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Heavenly Angel
This is more of an avatar thing, so it probably belong in the fashion trend forum.

I don't get label at all really. O.o D: Or I'm just missing out on something.
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #3  
I don't really care for them...my avatar is just my idea of what my alter ego would look like...(not that cool,but you get my drift?)
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Panda - I didn't know where to post this since it seems like a topic that could be suitable for either community discussion or the avatar forum.. lol

With The Current - I think of it as my alter-ego as well. That's why stereotyping on avatar sites seems strange to me. I guess people not interested in this kind of stuff don't realize that and they just assume I'm goth xD
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-04-2011, 11:03 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #5  
Lucid likes to dress like a ho online, but Lucid is quite the opposite in real life. XD stereotyping on avi sites is silly.
although some people do dress like how they might be stereotyped, it's not always necessarily true.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 03-04-2011, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Super Artist
I'd probably say your avatar (as it is at the moment I'm posting this) is more elegant with a dark touch instead of gothic. Probably because of the whole angel and devil thing on avi sites, is less serious. That is why I like avatar sites more, you can dress whatever you like without being judged on your looks.
And that's exactly why I can't tell if someone would be goth, punker or nerd on avatar sites, because you can dress different any moment of the day to your own likes. I might look dark now, but I could be an angel the next five minutes. That doesn't change anyone's opinion about me. And I like that.

Old Posted 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM Reply With Quote  
First Evil Ex-Gaian
Default   #7  
Really, if we defined who we are by our avis, I am the most bipolar/schizophrenic person ever.
Old Posted 03-05-2011, 09:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
At most you can only stereotype avatars in fashion trend ways since you are really only judging the outfit. That outfit can change very quickly if the user decides.
Old Posted 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Magic
Default   #9  
stereotypes, seem to be everywhere... i don't normally think of them, not even in person unless I get stuck in an ethics class where there are people in the class who don't care about anything they think doesn't affect them
sigh...

really shouldn't be stereotypes anywhere
like for example I knew someone who would always wear black and anime design shirts... but people thought she was goth for wearing black

rambles a little:
it in some ways deals with how someone is raised... like how someone got grumpy at me and wouldn't let me wear a black butterfly dress to a wedding saying it would be better for a funeral... was around 6 or 7 at the time when I was told that...
Old Posted 03-16-2011, 03:51 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Well... I usually just randomly dress my avi with either
a) What I have (I only have the free items on Trisphee right now >.>;; )
b) What looks pretty/cute/cool
c) If I have a theme going on or some set of items.

On another avi site, I had a heart/valentine sort of theme going on my avi ages ago. I tried posting it in the avi contest and ended up getting negative comments on how cluttered it looked. (sorry, think I ranted here)

I think the avi is someone that we can dress up with clothes that we don't have in real life and does not necessarily mean it is stereotypical.
Old Posted 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
So I just got a comment from my boyfriend about my avatar. He said it looks "Goth".

Now, I've never referred to stereotypes on avatar sites. I might think "Dark", "Cute" or "Angelic" as opposed to Goth or Jesus freak, but I never really thought of them as stereotypes on here until now. I guess avatar sites have different labels than in real life.

What is your opinion about labels on avatar sites? How about in real life? Have you been labeled? Have you ever found yourself labeling anyone by their appearance?

It is perfectly normal to label and be labeled. It might not be agreed that it's right or wrong to label, but it has become a part of human life, whether it is a positive or negative label~
That guy must have been high on something illegal cause your avatar doesn't look dark or goth at all, your avi to me reminds me of a Chinese New Year thing

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 07-16-2011, 12:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Marova Velenva
Labels are okay until people start trying to predict/dictate how you'd act based on said labels. o:

On avi sites I'm always labeling avatars XD There's really nothing to it, I'm like "oh what a nice goth avi" or "ffff love that 'kawaii'" avi. XD I'm not thinking, they must be goth or a loli IRL too! It'd be kinda silly.

Я хочу быть с тобой.

Old Posted 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #13  
i think your avatar is not a goth..i think its evil.. and its really gorgeous
Old Posted 07-16-2011, 10:12 PM Reply With Quote