Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default It's people!   #1  
If you don't get the reference, you are missing out on a wonderfully cultish post apocalyptic film.

I find not matter how fancy and spiffy looking modern movies get, there will always be the old classics and oddities of the film industry that just can't really be replaced. I'm not sure where the above movie would fall in terms of category, but it doesn't seem to me like something a company would create in the current times. Or maybe I'm just not loiking looking hard enough.

I'm always curious to see what sort of movie gems are out there that people may or may not have encountered because of either poor reception, limited audience, or simple time.

Don't forget to bring your toast. ;)
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Talking about soylent green eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 06:25 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #3  
Totally, and you're actually one of few people to get it. Usually I get bland or awkward looks. I see it on TV often but it seems to be terribly elusive on DVD.
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 06:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
well yeah we have it on vhs, its a pretty old movie though :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 06:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #5  
I never saw the movie. I'm a bit tired right now so if not for Ashy I might have missed the reference though, it is something I'm familiar with but only because of books.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 08:49 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
It's an old movie, which mean it's up to the earlier generations to dredge it up so later generations can see it. :). My sister actually put "Soylent Green" as an answer on her history test about methods to deal with overpopulation. I'm not sure what marks the teacher gave her for it.
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #7  
The oldest Movies I saw was the Wizard of Oz which was made in 1939 and clips of Nosferatu which was a German film made in 1922

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Would you recommend them?

The Wizard of Oz is someone obvious I suppose, as the movie has never gone away. It was a big deal at the time because it was the first movie to use colour, and it was neat how they brought it in as part of OZ. It was the first colour on screen that my Grandmother had seen.

Ever seen The Wiz? Now that's an interesting interpretation. It features an all African-American cast. Michael Jackson played the scarecrow and Diana Ross plays Dorothy.

Not familiar with Nosferatu beyond the title and the iconic black and white vampire shot with the bald character, pointed teeth, and very long nails. Shadow of the Vampire is another old movie that runs on the premise that the actor in Nosferatu really was a vampire.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 06-23-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 03:30 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #9  
nosferatu is definatly worth a look^^ i have it myself, it's a 'real' vampire movie haha, or at least closer to it than most movies traditionally speaking

i like the common ones actually like little shop of horrors, but the '80s one not either of the older ones^^:
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 03:35 AM Reply With Quote  
draws the naughty bits
Man one of my favorite movies ever is STILL Clash of the Titans
I love everything in it.

I think the oldest movie that's a favorite of mine is probably....Duck Soup.

I also love Arsenic and Old Lace and It Happened One Night ... old b&w films are awesome, if ONLY for the total cultural difference that's interesting to view. People even talked differently in movies back then xD Just listen to the rapid-fire delivery of Cary Grant...I wonder if they talked like that in real life or if it was just a movie thing.

80s Little Shop of Horrors is the BEST

i won't rot ∙ not this mind and not this heart ∙ i won't rot
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #11  
i hnow^^ there was this really good b&w film noire movie, tha actress in it was so classy and snarky without any sort of the 'lets be a rich prick' attitute you see now, dude, if only i knew the name
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 03:59 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Is the 80's one the version with Rick Moranis? That's the one I know of. The other day I kept having "suddenly Seymour" pop into my head. Did Little Shop start out as a movie or a musical? I need to watch it again. Been ages. I barely remember it.
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 04:24 AM Reply With Quote  
draws the naughty bits
Default   #13  
The first version i know of was a movie - no music - from the fifties starring Jerry Lewis? I think? I saw it .. it wasn't that interesting really. It was a straight up comedy I believe
I believe the musical came after ... and then that 80s version?

i won't rot ∙ not this mind and not this heart ∙ i won't rot
Old Posted 06-23-2011, 04:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Oh, I didn't actually get the Soylent Green reference until I read the first post, but I suppose you couldn't have put that in the title without giving it away. I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but I'd like to. My dad speaks highly of it (as old guys tend to do about old movies =P)

I haven't seen a whole lot of black and white films, but my favorite has to be Lolita. Older movies tend to feel too slow and uneventful, but that one actually kept me pretty engaged. Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" is also a really good older one.
Old Posted 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #15  
I was curious to see who would get the reference. :)

I hear piles of stuff about this "Lolita" thing, whether it's a style of dress or character concept or whatnot. I never knew there was a movie, but I did run into a book, sort of. Does the movie have something to do with the plethora of Lolita stuff that seems to be around?

I like some of Alfred Hitchcock's stuff though I've only seen a couple movies, Psycho, Birds, and possibly a couple more. My mom and I watch "Alfred Hitchcock presents" when it's on TV. It's only half an hour but it has some neat stories.

The movies I really like tend to be the ones that, to me, still feel relevant. Using books for example, I took a course on post-apocalyptic literature and we read Brave New World and We. I liked We, which was written in 1921 or so, but published sporadically. It's similar in style to Brave New World but I think it's better. Brave New World I didn't bother to finish. It just felt outdated so I skimmed what I needed for the exam and that's it.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 07-02-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old Posted 07-02-2011, 05:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Brave New World was actually better than I expected it be. It is written in a really outdated style, but I can see parts of it as still being relevant today.

And yeah, I'm a fan of the old-fashioned Victorian Lolita style - none of that new gothic or sweet Lolita crap. =P But it all stems from Vladimir Nabokov's book Lolita, about a man who marries his landlady in order to be closer to her fourteen-year-old daughter, which is what the movie is also about. I still haven't read the book, but it's controversial, for obvious reasons. The phrase and style basically refer to a young girl who is sexually attractive.
Old Posted 07-04-2011, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote