Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pixels
Default   #49  
I had a guy call me a boy on phantasy star universe one time. There's no voice chat in that game so he kept telling me to get on this other thing so he could hear my voice. On everquest2 when I got a mic everyone said I was either a girl or a 12 year old boy. xp There's loads of girl gamers, I think guys just like the idea there isn't.

I also know a lot of guy gamers that play as girls to try and get extra attention. That might be a major part of the thought process.
Old Posted 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I also know a lot of guy gamers that play as girls to try and get extra attention. That might be a major part of the thought process.
Ugh, yes >< "Girls get more freebies" "Girls are treated better"
Honestly people should just be nice, and then people will be nice in return no matter the gender. And in games I play, I like to help newbies if they ask about it politely :P
Old Posted 04-27-2011, 09:31 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #51  
Yeah it kinda bugs me that men will play female characters just to exploit and take advantage of others. Guys give female players lots of stuff and help and everything for free in the assumption that this girl might then be his friend (and some males hope for possibly more). Other males caught on to this and decided that if they have a female character they can take advantage of this. I've known people who have actually tried this and their female character got the best items and stuff completely free because the other male player was hoping to get something in return. I agree with Serra that if people just were nice to each other no matter what, we could ALL get a lot further, and without the exploitation of others. Then maybe it wouldn't be such a phenomenon that a female character is actually played by (gasp) a girl!

~* Calendros' wife <3 - married Aug 13/11 *~
Old Posted 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
First, exploiting people IMO is probably the lamest thing ever. How can you say you've achieved anything if it's all handed to you?

Second, it doesn't matter what type of games you play. "Gaming" (in this context, referring strictly to video games) would mean just that. You play video games. It could be Hello Kitty Island Adventure, Fifa World cup, lets even go as bold to say something as bad as Myst *ducks from linux users*

I will openly admit, I get my butt whupped by girl gamers probably every day. Put a controller infront of my Fiance, and pop Modnation in, I promise you I'm left with this utter feeling of defeat everytime, to make 1 reference atleast.. Deal with it boys, mommas got a whole new bag.
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #53  
I'm a girl gamer trying to get my own BOYFRIEND into gaming. In fact, sometimes I wonder if our gender roles are switched or something. XD

Lots of guys these days might not be as shocked as they used to be that there are gamer girls, but then they make assumptions that we only play the super cutesy games. Excuse me, I like exploding people's faces off just as much as you do. :I

Halo IS one game I will never understand the fascination in, though. Don't get me wrong, I love shooters (like Borderlands. LOVE IT!) but honestly I find that specific one incredibly dull and boring. The only good thing it has going in my opinion is the massive fanbase. Of course, the only reaction I get for that is "well obv you're a girl"

Pfffft... I will school you in any other shooter so you can STFU. >:O

/halorantover
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
My guy friends get so shocked when I tell them I have an xbox live account and play modern warfare, gears of war, halo, fallout 3, fable etc. xD They literally stop, stare, and say, "You... wait, you play video games?"

And I'm like, "Yeeeaaahh. So?"

xD Idiots.
Old Posted 05-28-2011, 05:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #55  
I remember on my birthday a while ago my mom bought me Final Fantasy X-2 (which, let's face it, is specifically geared toward girls). She told me that the guy who was checking her out at the store automatically assumed that she was buying the game for her son. When she corrected him, he was genuinely shocked.

It seems like girl gamers are becoming more commonplace, but as far as I can tell they're either really a GIRL gamer, who plays GIRLY games, or a novelty gamer who dabbles in FPS's to impress the boys.

Apparently everyone else in the country doesn't buy the girl gamer thing. If you log on to Playstation Home with a girl avatar, you run the risk of somebody accusing you of being a transvestite unless you have a mic to back up the virtual breasts.
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 03:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
There's still several people trying to push that "no girls on the internet" thing, or at least want to believe people are guys until proven otherwise :P

Me, I'm more likely to think that the people who are actually trying to be nice and socialize with me when I play something are girls... I know it's a bad stereotype I'm buying into there and I'm trying to break it but it's hard :P It just happens that the majority of the people I end up playing with in online games at least, are girls, just because they don't mind me getting chatty sometimes.

Cupcake, hearing that about Playstation Home makes me want to stay away for some reason xD
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #57  
I've noticed, at least in online MMO's, people are more likely to help you if you're a girl. xDDD Maybe it's just me, but people will give me things, trying to be nice, but if I make a guy character, I'm on my own. lolz
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Fluffy, smooshy an oh so nommy!
It is very common place for guys to flock to a female avatar in any game. I have not touched two of my MMO's due to male interference. They act like I cannot kill a beast on my own and need their help. I have been gaming since my son was in diapers an he's now 1bout 18 so it's odd to see people still don't believe girls are good gamers too. My youngest daughter is already a great gamer that loves games like Arny of 2 and Halo. She can play with my son an his friends online and they refuse to believe she's only 11 and a girl.
[LEFT]I Quit!
[/B][/CENTER][/U][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #59  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
Cupcake, hearing that about Playstation Home makes me want to stay away for some reason xD
Yeah, it gets tedious being in there at times, because the "regulars" who have been on since the beginning of beta are almost obsessively hateful toward people who have an avatar of the opposite sex. And if that's not enough, if you happen to have an attractive girl avatar, you're sure to get a bunch of n00b guys asking you to date them...to put it nicely. Which is funny, because most of the girl avatars are actually controlled by guys. I spend most of my time in there watching drama unfold and making fun of it, and searching for people to talk to who know how to spell above a fifth grade level.
Old Posted 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
My my Cupcake... Well I don't like chatting without the benefit of a keyboard anyways so I'd have to wait until I bought another one for it, the one I originally bought is being used for my computer since the wireless one decided to stop working >< And I hate pulling things off my computer to use with the PS3 xD But then again mostly I'd just want to use the keyboard if I ever seriously tried to play White Knight Chronicles again.

Oh by the way, if any of you want to add me, my PSN name is the same as here, without the space xD
Old Posted 05-30-2011, 11:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #61  
Whee! I'll get on and adds you now. We just got a wireless keyboard, but I'm still attached to the USB keyboard that my boyfriend scrounged up 'specially for my Home addiction. =3 Check thrift stores, they're out there used for as little as $2
Old Posted 05-31-2011, 01:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Oki Cupcake, Next time I'm on I'll make sure to add you :3 And I'll check thrift stores, $2 for a keyboard sounds pretty nice ;)

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-31-2011, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #63  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yommy View Post
It is very common place for guys to flock to a female avatar in any game. I have not touched two of my MMO's due to male interference. They act like I cannot kill a beast on my own and need their help. I have been gaming since my son was in diapers an he's now 1bout 18 so it's odd to see people still don't believe girls are good gamers too. My youngest daughter is already a great gamer that loves games like Arny of 2 and Halo. She can play with my son an his friends online and they refuse to believe she's only 11 and a girl.
It can seriously get a bit annoying sometimes. Here I am, ready to kill this monster and it's health is almost completely gone, and out of nowhere a guy will come and kill it. I used to get annoyed cause they would get the experience points and I would do all the work! And I'm just like, "Gee, thanks." And they'd say I was welcome and run off! Sometimes they'd even suggest I go for something weaker. Hello! I was perfectly fine! My health wasn't even damaged, but whatever. Sooo aggravating.
Old Posted 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
It can seriously get a bit annoying sometimes. Here I am, ready to kill this monster and it's health is almost completely gone, and out of nowhere a guy will come and kill it. I used to get annoyed cause they would get the experience points and I would do all the work! And I'm just like, "Gee, thanks." And they'd say I was welcome and run off! Sometimes they'd even suggest I go for something weaker. Hello! I was perfectly fine! My health wasn't even damaged, but whatever. Sooo aggravating.
That's either idiotic chivalry or selfish sniping. I've had people do that just to for the experience, and not at all because they wanted to help. That's why some MMO's don't allow you to attack a monster that someone else is fighting unless you're in their party.
Old Posted 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM Reply With Quote