Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Platypus
Default   #433  
Wow, difficult question. I usually only read biographies and I am not sure if they really count. Would have probably been some book about a person with psychic gifts, cant get enough of those type of biographies. Havent read anything since last year though.
Old Posted 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
101 Amazing Facts on American History.
Old Posted 07-25-2014, 09:30 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #435  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawtan View Post
Well, I recently finished the Reanimator, and am going through other Lovecraftian Works...

One thing I think Stephen King forgot was that oftentimes good works need to have purpose and thought beyond the genre... I feel the Reanimator did so - sort of a "dark side of academia and science" theme...
You read much Steven King, Lawtan? I admit I'm only familiar with the films, but I find this a curious thing to say. Haven't read Lovecraft either, just one film and aware of some of the popular lore.
Old Posted 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Gothic Princess
Last book I finished was on my kindle, if that counts..

it was called Alice and Fifty Shades of Grey..

and it was a free book.. normally I don't go for those kinds of books but..
Old Posted 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #437  
*Is going through all of Junji Ito's comics*

Snail people, suicide cults, Enigma at Amagara Fault, and others.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
The last book I finished was Eats, Shoots and leaves. I loved it, it was so sarcastic!!!! Lynne Truss knows how to get an audience going!
Old Posted 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #439  
A piece of crap about the history of America. When it actually spoke about what really happened it was a good book, but the drawn out parts... Not worth mentioning.
Old Posted 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Hell House. It was my first time reading from the horror genre, I usually read thrillers. I liked it... loved the descriptions. Didn't scare me... but it was interesting and intriguing.
Old Posted 09-25-2014, 12:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #441  
Well I just finished reading a lengthy profile comment from Illusion, if that counts... hah.

I really need to find a good book. I'm such a picky reader. I only like witty, suspenseful, end-of-the-world romance novels with detailed sex.

Speaking of which, people are saying 50 Shades of Grey is the biggest pile of shit they've ever read. Which I don't understand, because it has an extensive fan base. People said the same about the Twilight series, which I've never read either.

**side note - I just typed 'sex' into the keyword search bar and nothing came up. What in the hell... and my boyfriend is all the way in North Dakota right now. >.>
For some reason, I get super turned on when I realize sex with him isn't readily available. And I come up with all of these scenarios that involves him coming home with my favorite Starbucks drink, laying naked in bed with sexy music playing. Like, woah.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Last edited by Ginger; 09-30-2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: I shouldn't even bother explaining... lol.
Old Posted 09-30-2014, 01:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It has a massive fan base because it's Twilight with the names changed to protect the innocent trademark rights. It's readily-available highly-publicized sexual fantasy fiction in a popular genre, which means it's going to sell a zillion copies EVEN THOUGH it's crap. (Most people who read those kinds of books aren't exactly book critics, nor are they looking for good literature.) I mean, Twilight was bad enough on its own, but Fifty Shades is literally a Twilight fan fiction that got sanitized for publication.

As for me, I recently finished Accelerando: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...celerando.html
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #443  
A Dark History: Tudors by Judith John
Old Posted 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Shadow of Night, Book Two of the All Souls Trilogy
Old Posted 10-05-2014, 12:45 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #445  
A Dark History: The Popes: Vice, Murder, and Corruption in the Vatican
Brenda Ralph Lewis
Old Posted 10-13-2014, 01:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
You read much Steven King, Lawtan? I admit I'm only familiar with the films, but I find this a curious thing to say. Haven't read Lovecraft either, just one film and aware of some of the popular lore.
Oh...I read a few like Pet Sematary and The Shining.

There is a trope, called "Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy" - where darkness, conflict, and pain without meaning tends to make the audience numb and lose investment. That is how I feel several of King's works are.

Given, I am told that the Dark Tower series is better (have not read).

Poe and Lovecraft did much better with that. Perhaps, that is due to their unreliable narrators, or being more subtle; a growing darkness, rather than "Boo! Grim and dark down your throat!"
__

__

Old Posted 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM Reply With Quote  
기다려
Default   #447  
Lawtan: Darkness and pain in a story should have a point. If we want to be disgusted by pointlessness we'd just go watch a horror movie. I guess some Stephen King is intended to be the paper equivalent of a horror movie.

Last book I read was Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah.
Old Posted 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
That was sort of what I meant. <.<

Right now, I am rereading "The Halloween Tree" and "Something Wicked this Way Comes" - by Ray Bradbury

(The latter is very lovely - far better than most Carnival Horror you see/read)
__

__

Old Posted 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM Reply With Quote