Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Lynx Rufus
Default HB2   #1  
So if you have watched the news recently North Carolina passed an emergency measure House Bill 2, which was made to invalidate Charlotte's ordinance that Trans people could use the restroom of their chosen gender.

They have now stated that you can only use the restroom of the gender that is on your birth certificate. Which is causing a huge controversy nationally, because it has also abolished LGBT Rights. It also demolished the right to sue your employer if you feel like you were terminated unfairly.

Personally I would like the bill to be removed, because it is both stupid and it causing a huge fuss and loss economically in the state that I call home. It also affects some of my friends because they are having the use the bathroom of their birth gender unless they want to risk a felony.
Old Posted 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiva View Post
So if you have watched the news recently North Carolina passed an emergency measure House Bill 2, which was made to invalidate Charlotte's ordinance that Trans people could use the restroom of their chosen gender.

They have now stated that you can only use the restroom of the gender that is on your birth certificate. Which is causing a huge controversy nationally, because it has also abolished LGBT Rights. It also demolished the right to sue your employer if you feel like you were terminated unfairly.

Personally I would like the bill to be removed, because it is both stupid and it causing a huge fuss and loss economically in the state that I call home. It also affects some of my friends because they are having the use the bathroom of their birth gender unless they want to risk a felony.
It's not about bathrooms. It's about controlling women (Cisgender or not), and it's an abuse of power.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-22-2016, 08:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #3  
Lol McCory is not getting elected next year. Its a sad day when Trump disagrees with your politics.

I have been following this story since I work at a public place. As such we are bound by law to follow it. However amusingly enough I don't think our security guard can do anything about the person going into the bathroom.

What bothers me more is the amount of industry that is being lost to NC because of this law. If Google fiber pulls out of Charlotte completely I am going to be pissed. We already lost Paypal which would have been 400 new jobs. If this continues it wont be long before our banks go too.

I also had to explain to my father it discriminates because it takes away choice. Its really more than just a bathroom bill. That is something I don't think that people understand.

Not only that but I grew up in a art school. I have friends that transition. During school they either changed in secluded area or they used the teachers bathrooms. Legally there is nothing stopping a normal man from walking into the girls bathroom. I would also like to point out there is nothing stopping a gay man from childmolesting boys in a boys bathroom.

I just wish the house had worded its bill differently. If this continues I feel like the job loss will out weight a lot of things in NC and with out federal funding for NC schools, we will be left using only state taxes to fund things. And fuck I don't make 15 dollars an hour.

Its kind of an awful circle all around.
I can't wait until there is an official ruling on the Grimm case.
Last edited by Poggio; 04-22-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old Posted 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
...Lovely...

Okay, so what is being done to reverse this?
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Last edited by Lawtan; 04-22-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old Posted 04-22-2016, 10:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It's not about bathrooms. It's about controlling women (Cisgender or not), and it's an abuse of power.
Not quite. You're right that it isn't about bathrooms, but it's not about controlling women -- it's about controlling non-heteronormative people, about making it illegal to be different.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-22-2016, 10:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
These kinds of laws are so limiting, it's ridiculous. Even if there was some kind of validity to them, what about people who were born in Idaho, Kansas & Ohio? It doesn't matter if a person has gone through complete gender reassignment surgery, these states refuse to alter birth certificates.

There are other things that are impacted by these states refusal to acknowledge changes. For example, in Michigan you can't get your gender changed on your driver's license unless you show your changed birth certificate. Talk about awkward when your driver's license shows a gender different than yours.

It's maddening to see things like this happen.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 12:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
That's not completely unreasonable. There's logic behind not modifying birth certificates. They're supposed to be documentation that a certain event (a birth) happened at a certain time and place, and certain facts were observed at the time (such as the name given by the parents and the fact that the infant was in fact alive -- and yes, the apparent sex of said infant).

You can't get a birth certificate reissued if you legally change your name, after all. No state I know of will do that.

No, the actual problem is that a birth certificate -- a historical document -- is being required at all. Don't fight against the fact that you can't change your birth certificate when the real issue is that an obsolete document is the only permitted form of documentation. Change THAT rule instead.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 12:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
What would you propose is used instead to prove one's identity?
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 12:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Haunted AND the thing that haunts you!
Default   #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Uh no, it has nothing to do with women, that doesn't even make any sense.

It's discrimination against those who don't identify with the chromosome that assigned their gender at conception, a way to fight what is considered to be a crime.

Activists against transgenderism believe that it's invalid because the chromosomes or in religious terms, god's design can't be changed. Ergo it's inappropriate and an intent to commit sexual assault for a transgender individual to use a bathroom not labeled for their chromosome gender.

Basically, it's robbing freedom of self which is the most heinous crime on earth.

It's appalling. I'm glad to be living in the LGBT land of the free, California.
~ Red Rum She Said
Last edited by RedRum; 04-23-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
@Lawton: Boycotts, "talks", the NC Governor sleeps proudly at night and has decided not to change his mind about the law. There are other cases around the US, that will factor in if NC ultimately repeals its law. It will take a while, and lots of battles in court but: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/us...case.html?_r=0

If Gavin Grimm wins his case against a similar law in VA, NC's law is officially unconstitutional.

@Zenkitty/Coda
Why not make a certificate at the time of change and keep both on file?
Last edited by Poggio; 04-23-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 10:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggio View Post

@Zenkitty/Coda
Why not make a certificate at the time of change and keep both on file?
That's a great idea. Then the next question is how do we get all those conservative states to recognize the validity of the certificate?
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Honestly in my mind, if you are going through a self renaissance the document in itself should be valid. You are basically starting life in the direction of your own choosing. As a birth certificate, it is already a legal document. Your doctors, psychologist, can probably validate it that you are of sound mind and body, that you are X person.

At least that is the way my brain processes that idea. Legally its a birth certificate, just not created at the time of birth, just when you are recognized as true gender identity. I don't expect it to be as easy as changing ones name, but it would be something better than nothing.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 11:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #13  
I agree Poggio. I've just seen too much resistance from states that aren't even as conservative as other ones. There are trans and ally lawyers, doctors, administrators, therapists and government officials who are working very hard to change things, but fear and narrow minded viewpoints make it really difficult.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 11:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Yeah, I fear we are going to end up with either Ted Cruz or Trump. Anything red in politics make me fearful not just for LGBT but people who observe different religions,minorities, women... government programs and well wages.
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 12:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #15  
We sure do live in interesting times, huh?
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 01:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Huh? I had honestly thought that the Republican Party's efforts against Trump split "red" votes so that Hillary had the best chance. (Not that good of an option either, as she only supported marriage equality after it passed...and other things)

But that is getting off topic.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM Reply With Quote