Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

On in to the future
Default Marbles, Cards, and Boards... Oh my!   #1  
I was browsing through my facebook this morning, and came across the below image in my newsfeed. It brought back memories I haven't thought about in years!

When we'd go to my great-granny's house I'd sit at her kitchen table, playing with with this. She'd always be cooking something, and it always seemed like there was a cuckoo clock chiming randomly. I was about 4 years old, and as boring as it may sound, I was having the time of my life playing with a big-kid game, lol.

So what I want to know is, what were some of your favorite games as a kid?
World's worst for poofing during a conversation. Sorry.
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Oh, I loved that game!

Though I love and own a lot of the 'newer' games as well. >3<

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 09:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #3  
...I played Chinese Checkers with my grandfather...
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM Reply With Quote  
-:-o}}}-O-{{{o-:-
I remember liking pickup sticks, legos somewhat, lincoln logs, I liked to build things. I liked my chem set. I liked the little cooker thingy my brother had that made plastic bugs. Probably deemed toxic nowadays.

Least favorite was chess, though I did learn how to play it. It stressed my peabrain to think 5 steps ahead. I liked some card games.
I used to have a sig. Really.
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #5  
Checkers was better than chess, imo
LEGO's!
__

__

Old Posted 04-07-2014, 12:12 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
one of my favourites was Parcheesi, and I used to play Chess and Sorry! as well, and Monopoly even though we never really finished a game or played it properly. I still play several board games but they are the more advanced, European sort now like Settlers of Catan, Talisman, pseudo rpgs that last several hours, etc.

One of my favourite games is a deceptively simple card based game called Citadels. Each player picks a card with a profession that determines how the turn goes. Much of the game is poker-esque strategy as your best shot at winning is by figuring out which person is playing what profession (it's hidden) at any given time.
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Seeker of Souls
Default   #7  
Hmm I don't remember any games I played when I was a kid. :c
I din't really play many to begin with XD I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Checkers though..
I wouldnt even mind playing games like that or that brick one where you remove them one by one and hope they dont fall and 'Trouble!' and stuff even now. XP
Hey, hey you! I have places that need visiting! XD
My Hangout

My Quest Thread
Old Posted 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Oh Backgammon...I used to play that. And Cribbage, but only with my mom. I like dominoes too.
Old Posted 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #9  
I used to play mancala at my Grandparents' house when I was a kid. I was obsessed with that game, for whatever reason. xD

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Trisphee Site Rules | Sei's Hideout
Old Posted 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Seeker of Souls
I don't believe I've ever learned how to play Backgammon. XD

And I've never heard of Mancala. o-o

I must be really out of the loop with these things. XD
Hey, hey you! I have places that need visiting! XD
My Hangout

My Quest Thread
Old Posted 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #11  
I will never forget the Christmas my dad brought home a Nintendo. My sister and I slept in the front room and we were so excited we kept trying to peek through the crack at the bottom of the door and eventually instead of going to sleep it turned into an all night Punch Out/ Zelda fest.

I was never a big board game person but my child hood was full of gaming systems. It was like family bonding time as a kid to spend Saturday playing Tekken against my dad or sister or mom.

I do recall that game. I never could grasp how to play it. I thought it was like Jenga with sticks only some how the balls were important too?
Old Posted 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Did anyone play Mouse Trap? I loved the mechanics in the game. (Ignore any reference to the Creepypasta Rap Rat)

In truth, I was exposed to several of these games an a learning experiment to help improve verbal communication.
__

__

Old Posted 04-10-2014, 04:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #13  
I never played Mouse Trap. I used to like those hanging monkeys you would pick up one by one. Mindless.
Old Posted 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
*Hums the song that went with "monkeys in a barrel*
__

__

Old Posted 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #15  
That is pretty mindless Lawtan. =P

I was thinking about this one toy my friend had which was a little stove that would cook little cakes, so cute! I don't think I have seen something like that anymore.
Old Posted 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Never had Barrel of Monkeys or Pick-up Stix but my friends did. We had Mouse Trap but could never get it to work properly. I recall Kerplunk but never played. Most of these games I recognize but that might be age talking ;). I still have Jenga, though nowadays most of the time I play Trivial Pursuit or Sequence with my step-family. The other games I play with my brother and friends. He's something of a board game nut so we have piles of stuff, though mostly newer things.

Trouble was always fun, probably because we got to poke the dice roller bubble in the middle. Some childhood favourites of mine that I remember now were Hungry Hungry Hippos (gotta love a game where the point was to essentially mash a lever as fast as you could. Noisy as hell though) and this little fishing game where these fish with funny teeth would hover up and down and you had your rod with a little ball on the end that you tried to catch the fish with. Loved that thing.
Old Posted 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
childhood, fun, games, memory lane