Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

On in to the future
Default Dungeons & Dragons   #1  
I have never played this game.

Personally, I don't really know the first thing about it. There are so many books, manuals, and guides you have to buy, it all seems complex. The character sheets, the dice... It's all so much! lol

But, I have a confession. While I don't think I look or act like the stereotypical D&D player, I'd still like to give it a shot. Maybe I'll stay after school. I think we have a games club or something and they do it.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, do you play? Have you? Thoughts?
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
I've been in many a campaign of DnD, never been the DM(I suck at plotting). I've played 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 and I have to say that 3.0 is my favourite followed by 2.0. I tend to play the same character over, and over, and over again or at least the same type.

As to your comments though: You really don't need all the books, just the basic guide if you're a player, or the basic DM book if you want to run a game(though a monster manual would be helpful as well). The additional books are if you play a class of character SO MUCH that you need to know all the ins and outs.

The character sheet is usually there just for quick reference. Once you spend the time to get it all initially rolled and filled out you'll only occasionally reference it during fights or to do an inventory check. Your GM is gonna be the go-to person for this, talk to them about what they want in the party and plan accordingly!

The dice are the fun part!! I've dice that go to specific characters, specific campaigns, and even have 'evil' dice for when bad stuff has to go down.

Look at local comic/gaming shops, chances are they'll have either games on-site, or DMs looking for players :) I've been lucky that most of my DMs have been friends first, but I've played a few 'pick up' games with random groups and they have their own charm.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #3  
Most people I know play 3.0, or 3.5. In fact, I think that's the version my school's Games club has. My old Chemistry teacher is the DM, I think. He has so many books and whatnot, I'm sure he's got it all down. He's been playing for years. lol

I think it would be fun to play. I like using my imagination and stuff, so I'll try to give it a shot. :)

What kind of character do you typically play?
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
I typically play a bard, either full elf or half, though lately I've been playing more gnomes and rogues. I've done an occasional sorceress, but that's about it. I'm not a good tank, and I'm a pretty abysmal cleric.

And thank goodness your GM isn't into 4.0, I haaaate the changes.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #5  
That's really cool. That class was actually interesting me the most as I was skimming through some info online. lol. Rogues, thieves, and archer types are usually my fav in other games and what not.

What kind of changes? I don't know a lot about it, but I was actually curious to know the difference.
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
In 4.0 they took away some classes(bard was the one I noted) and changed up some ways things affect each other. I mean, after so many versions where the only things that really changed were available races(which some were just pushed under the rug) there weren't huge changes until now.

And I do like rogues, but I find that I don't have the mentality to think like a rogue needs too. But alllllllll my characters are ranged(firing) weapon wielders, I hate mele(swords and the like). I personally like the light crossbows and elven bows.

Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:35 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #7  
Rogues are quite sneaky. lol. Wait, they got rid of bards? Le gasp! That's not cool. D:<

I also don't like melee swords. I'm not even sure why. They have just never been my thing. If for whatever reason the world got turned into a medieval/fantasy thing, I couldn't be a swordsman. Heavy armor and the like? No thanks.
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:56 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
I'm a wicked archer IRL, so we go back, put my butt on a parapet and I'm good to go. And hook me up with silk armor, more effective than the heavy stuff. I tend to go that way in game too.

Old Posted 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #9  
My school also has an archery class/team. I think I'm getting into it next semester. lol WOO. xD My body type is very petite. I'd have to have light armor. Most likely use my wit instead of strength.
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 03:02 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
I never played it.... I always wanted to just try it.. I know my friend Rakim plays it so I should find a day to play the game with him (he graduated last year though).. But I dunno, it seems like fun but I'm not sure on anything.
I'm jealous of Nightmare because she got to play it, in fact there used to be a Dungeons and Dragons club at Nightmare's school until the kid who was always Dungeon Master moved or something making them disband the club.

I wish I can find people to play it with >.>

Old Posted 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #11  
I've played it, back when 2.0 was the norm. I've been all over the place playing, characterwise, and I'd have to say that like Fey, I tend to stick to what I know. I've tried just about every class, but I seem to do best as a (sarcastic) mage type.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Haha, the more you guys talk about it, the more interesting it seems. I'm really excited now. I think I'll start playing Friday. :D

What are some of the most fun adventures, or what not you can remember going on?
Old Posted 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #13  
I love DnD - everyone I used to play with is far flung save my husband and our games have mutated to the point that we wouldn't know how to play by the books. ><

Almost everyone has "house rules" but our games are almost nothing but!
Oh well. We have fun.
. .

Old Posted 10-12-2011, 05:42 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Lol, yeah? That sounds interesting. I know some people take it sooo seriously and are strict strict strict. I would get nervous playing with them. :/ But I am a first timer...

Have you ever heard of the game Pathfinder? I think it's another table top rpg. I might give it a shot too.
Old Posted 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #15  
Pathfinder is more or less the same thing as DnD, just another edition of the rules. It's highly similar to 3.x and largely compatible with it, with minor tweaking. At least, that's what I've heard; I haven't played in years.

Also, DnD is really just a rules system. The game is what you make of it. It's hard to tell you what to expect, since the individual group is going to provide the majority of the social experience of playing the game. The rules are just a framework to facilitate that.

I only ever played 3.5 (with extremely heavy modification), but I'm familiar enough with all the other editions to say that I prefer it by far. It's extremely flexible. DM willing, you can literally add anything you want to it and come up with a way to work your idea into the game rules with relative ease. Highly, highly customizable.

And since asked, my most memorable experience is posted here: http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=80
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 10-12-2011, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
The only thing I really remember was one of my character's introductions to the party, I had to play chess with someone, and the DM decided my character would be mysteriously transported the second time I touched a knight. We had to play two games for this to happen XD

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote