Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Tragic Jester
Lightbulb Favorite Humanoid Robots   #1  
Here is the Geminoid F: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJRH_9b7ZXk

Geminoid F is the most realistic looking of the three. Her (or it's, if that makes you more comfortable)face and expressions were modeled after an actual, living person. However, feature-wise, she seems to be pretty limited. The only thing I've seen her actually do is read off pre-recorded messages, mimic the facial expressions and head motions of someone sitting in front of a camera, and bow.

The HRP-4C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kKWn...1&feature=fvwp

WARNING: The video for the HRP-4C has some pretty horrible background music going on while she sings. I apologize.

HRP-4C is the least realistic looking, but can do the most. For one thing, she can walk, although slowly and somewhat awkwardly. She also uses special software (much like Vocaloid software) so that her singing is NOT a recording of someone else, but is computer generated. She also mimics facial expressions and head motions as well, in the same way that Geminoid F does.

And finally, Actroid DER 2. (There is an Actroid DER 3 and Geminoid F is being sold by the company Kokoro as Actroid F, but excluding Actroid/Geminoid F, Actroid DER 2 is my favorite.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3tcSlWLS_g

DER 2 is considerably more realistic than HRP-4C, but not as much as Gemenoid F. She can stand, but she can't walk. What I find the most interesting about her is that she can answer questions!

DISCUSS:
-What do you think about humanoid robots?
-Will humanoid robots be more or less helpful in the future?
-Are there any robots you're particularly interested in?
-Pretty much anything robot related.

Now watch this be a thread no one ever comments in. DIE THREAD, DIE!!! XD
Last edited by Taradiddle; 02-04-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old Posted 02-04-2011, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
That's impressive! XD The second two more than the first. I find the first very creepy because of how realistic yet limited she is. >3<'

I also find it somewhat amusing that all of them are female robots. XD

The last, to me I think, is my favorite.

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Default   #3  
Realistic humanoid robots are almost always designed female, because some people find them creepy and female faces are softer, so they appear less threatening or over bearing.

Aww, Geminoid F is my favorite. XD But Actroid 2 competes quite well.

Since most of the information I know about Geminoid F comes from videos, I want to read up on her to see if she has any other abilities that I don't know about.
Last edited by Taradiddle; 02-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old Posted 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Self-proclaimed Non-Conversationalist
I think I know the reason they are all female.....

I like the last one as well... very well programmed.. tho limited *nods*

They rest just seem super creepy. The Actroid just seems like a big fun toy x3

Lucid loves Duchess and takes her signature virginity. <3
Ashy refuses to share Duchess with anyone D:<

Duchess is idol TRASH
Feel free to bully me about it

Old Posted 02-05-2011, 11:50 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Default   #5  
So many assume that the robots were made female for perverted reasons, but it's actually because a lot of people find robots creepy and female faces are often less threatening.

Though as sure as there are sex dolls, sexbots are sure to follow at some point. I can't imagine it being too soon though, as the robots are pretty fragile.

Japan and Korea are using the Actroids mostly for museum greeters and rich-people-toys, but the Actroid-F is being tested as a companion for patients in hospitals.
Old Posted 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM Reply With Quote  
When one of the first things humans did when we created video recording technology was create sex videos >__>

When painters looong ago were hired to do nude portraits for their spouses jollies and now it hangs in museums...

I'd definitely believe that female is the preferred choice for something less than decent.... if not.. it will be very SOON after the technology is perfected.

When a sex game is being made for teh Xbox Kinect and there are sex dolls to rival cinema make-up techniques. This world... is full of perverts.. and Sex Sells.

So maybe not now... but quite near in the future, some rich man would want his companion for more than just casual chatting.

Duchess is idol TRASH

Old Posted 02-13-2011, 11:50 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Default   #7  
Oh, I'm not being blind about it. Sex robots will happen and there are people waiting around for that to happen, there is no doubt in my mind. But there actually are male robots in existance, just no male actroids and most of them are made from the shoulders up and people tend to be creeped out by them more than the females. And Hell, maybe that's because of sex, I don't know. But the fact is that females are less intimidating. (I've never heard this as a reason, but another upside to female robots is that they're smaller than males, and thus lighter. Not to mention males have much more prominent hands and hands are REALLY hard to make right.)
Old Posted 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Ohhh~ Alrighty ^^

That's understandable. k dont really find women less intimidating though .-. they seem as creepy as men can be xDDD

Most just seem to use the "gentle female" as a reference... but there are many gentle men as well and rough harsh females. *shrugs*

But I guess than goes back to culture rather than fact. People still have the docile woman in their mind. You can even see it in how they developed the robots.

Veery... interesting.....

Duchess is idol TRASH

Old Posted 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #9  
I dont know any.. But interesting o.o

Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Urgh...bottom of the uncanny valley for me, for the first one.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:56 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #11  
Thats actually... a tad bit creepy.

<.<; And my mind flits off to perverted places. xDD; But anyway, the last one is probably my favorite.
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 06:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
I love robots in general, but not the thought of owning one to do my dishes. I think it wouldn't be a good idea to create robots to cater to humans, however. Plus, it's against the law to own slaves in many countries and that's pretty much what robots are being created for.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM Reply With Quote  
The only Prof. of Fizzyology
Default   #13  
honestly humanoid robots creep me out. Can you imagine a future where people start to spend their time more with humanoid robots then real people?

Sure it's a neat idea to have a robot butler or something like that, but there's so much that could go wrong.

Click to go to Quest Thread ---v

Member since Nov. 4th 2010
Old Posted 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Shadow Fox
OMG I want one! O.O They remind me of the anime Chobits!
*~Act like your strong and you will go a far distance. Believe that your strong and world is yours!~*
Old Posted 05-25-2011, 02:38 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
actroid, actroids, humanoid, robots