Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dazed
Default   #177  
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool ~Shakespeare
Old Posted 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
"Then they halted and they looked at him and saw that he lived still; but he did not look at them. The way is shut, his voice said again. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut."

- The Return of the King, the paths of the Dead.
Old Posted 06-28-2011, 11:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #179  
My favorite quote from a book is...
"The room grew somewhat dimmer. I didn't move as it grew dimmer still. Then, with a start, I hurried outside and ran to the alley in back of our house. Through a break between the buildings, I saw that the sun hung low over the horizon. I watched it until it started to hide between two trees in the distance. Then I climbed on a car and watched until only half of the sun was visible, and then a quarter, and then I felt a huge sickening panic inside of me and ran as hard as I could to a ladder I saw down the alley. I rushed up the ladder and climbed on the roof of somebody's garage. I saw the sun again, a quarter of it, and then a slice, and then it disappeared, the last time ever that the sun would set on a day my sister had lived."
It was just so... powerful. It still makes me tear up.
The book was Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata. Such a sad, but wonderful story.
Old Posted 07-02-2011, 03:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
It's sort of a quote, i guess. It's a prophecy from a series of books a like. There're several different propheciea in the series, but this one's my favourite;

"One from the land of kings long forgotten,
One from the hearth that still holds the spark,
One from the Day World where two eyes are watching,
One from the twilight to be one with the dark."

They're all to do with the end of the world at the millennium and how only four teenagers stand between chaos and salvation. I know how all but the last line translates, and i'm still waiting for that last book to come out so i can find out about the last ^.^

Sappy teen supernatural romance be damned, L J Smith can write prophecies :D
Where there's a Witch, There's a Way ;)
Old Posted 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #181  
most of my favorites are from shakespeare...for example the "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers" speech from Henry V.
Old Posted 10-06-2011, 11:07 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I remember that. I remember Kenneth Brannah doing that speech his Henry V movie. I wasn't so big on his representation of Hamlet but I liked that one.
Old Posted 10-08-2011, 02:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #183  
I just borrowed Macbeth and Hamlet from the library. Again. And actually yelled out some of the more epic lines at lunch with friends.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-08-2011, 03:27 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I don't find myself using a whole lot of Shakespeare quotes even though I took an entire course of the quy. Most of what comes to mind for me are lines from old movies or books and such that I saw/read when I was a kid, and more and more my friends and I are starting to get funny looks or blank stares from other people.

Although the semi-manic speech by Tidus Andonicus in the play of the same name springs to mind often, particularly in the movie with Anothony Hopkins., "Bloody letters!" is all I remember as far as the actual words but the image is something, with the guy writing stuff out with his one good hand and his bloody stump on the other. Or was it two stumps? I can't remember. It's a rather violent play.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 10-08-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old Posted 10-08-2011, 03:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #185  
Haha...My friend and I were spewing out various quotes like...

"Turn, hellhound, turn! I have no words. My voice is in my sword, thou bloodier villain than terms can give thee out!"
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-08-2011, 02:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
One quote that has kept running through my mind all day; "Get thee behind me Satan!"

And now the reason why it keeps popping up in my mind. No offence intended at all, and i apologise immensely if i do offend anyone because that's not my aim at all . . . but am i the only one who sees the really really bad logic behind that command?

To quote one of my fave fan-comics on DeviantArt; "Yes i think that's rather the idea."

@.@
Old Posted 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #187  
"The first time, Ned actually rubbed his eyes, like a child. After that, he didn't do it again, he just watched. With his unnaturally keen sight here, he saw when her hair bagan to change in that moonlight towards red, and then it was red, and falling so much longer than before. And he thought, for the first time, how inadequate the words for colours could sometimes be."

This is from Ysabel by G.G. Kay. This is where I ended my reading before an appointment. It's the last line that makes me notice the passage.
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 03:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Actually, i completely agree there. Sometimes those words just don't seem to cut it at all.
Old Posted 10-11-2011, 04:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #189  
YES i loved him in that movie!!! i prefer David Tennant in Hamlet though :P his "Excshept my life! graaaurh!!!" was great
Old Posted 10-12-2011, 04:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Lol.

I know technically it's not literature, but with my head full of Halloween/Samhain all i can think of is the film Van Hellsing.

". . . It will be your blood that shall keep my young and beautiful, what do you think of that?" - "I think if you're going to kill someone, do it. dont stand there talking about it!"

I'm aware that i've probably managed to misquote it slightly but oh well.
Old Posted 10-13-2011, 05:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #191  
Because of y'all I decided to make new thread titled appropriately: Favorite musical quotes~?

Also: Gallowsraven you are absolutely FILTHY. I think the gutters of your mind could use a good scrubbing. -looks at you menacingly with a bucket of water, heavy duty sponge, and soap-

On Topic: "There is darkness in all of us. Given the wrong circumstances we are all capable of horrible things." -paraphrased of what I read in a magazine at a automotive place. I forgot the name of the men's magazine but it couldn't have been Men's Health. Anyways I couldn't find the wording online. =(
Old Posted 10-21-2011, 01:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
You cannot blame me at all, Jurinjo, at least in regards to that one quote. After all isn't Satan supposed to be somewhat like that???

In the immortal words of Keri Arthur's lovable character Riley Jenkins; "He would be one sick puppy".
Old Posted 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM Reply With Quote