Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

petite fantaisiste
Default   #305  
Lol xD

I tried it again to study for my math test tomorrow...I only got as far as [blank]/((n+1)(n+2)). Is there a way to write a nth term for something that pluses by another integer each time, as in 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, etc?

Old Posted 04-06-2017, 05:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Yes, there is. It usually involves an n2. The particular sequence you described there is (n2 + n)/2, or equivalently, n(n+1)/2, which I mentioned a few posts back and which I would be very surprised if you hadn't covered in class.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-06-2017, 07:08 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #307  
I guess then #38 would be (n(n+1))/(2(n+1)(n+2))

I as far as I recall, class hasn't covered anything divided by 2.
..I'm not entirely certain what has been covered in class except what sequences/sigmas/partial sums mean and that and looking for ratios and addition of similar numbers is important.

EDIT: How does (n2 + n)/2 work?
Add a number the the same number multiplied by itself makes it always even..
n(n+1) means that with every increase in n, the "1" part increases by n too.
And then dividing by 2 makes it increase by 1 instead of 2.
So I guess I can instead of dividing it by 2, replace that with anything 2x = number to increase each time by that number? Only the first number will always get higher or lower. If I wanted it to stay at 1, then I'd have to subtract or add something extra?

Last edited by Potironette; 04-06-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old Posted 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That's not really the right way to go about it. It's good that you're developing those insights, but it doesn't quite generalize -- your conclusions are too specific to be especially useful.

A better strategy is to look at the changes in the sequence.

If your sequence is 1 1 1 1 1 (or any constant number), then there are no n's.

Otherwise, find the differences between the steps. 1 2 3 4 5 -> 1 1 1 1, for example, or 1 3 6 10 15 -> 2 3 4 5. Repeat this process until you get to a constant number. Each time you go through this process, the order of the polynomial increases by one -- that is, 1 2 3 4 5 has an n1 term, 1 3 6 10 15 has an n2 term, and 1 16 19 39 69 91 has an n3 term (if I didn't screw up my math). And it sometimes helps to start from 0 instead of 1.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-07-2017, 12:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #309  
Obviously it's possible for you to get stuck in a place where this technique doesn't work -- it only works for polynomials! If you've got a 2n in there, you'll instead need to consider the ratios between successive terms instead of the difference.

Old Posted 04-07-2017, 12:48 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Thank-you very much for the n(n+1) thing! I had a math test today where I had to use (n-1)2 + (n-1) (or I guess that's just n(n-1)?) to find some sequence. That is how to start from 0 right?

The period before the test I learned from someone in physics class that ai = a1rsomething to do with n and I guess that works because when things are in ratios, it means that every next number is just that ratio multiplied again (hence the power)? And I'm not sure exactly why it's multiplied by the a1 except that if the power were n-1 then it could be the first number..?

I'm not sure how I could've passed the math test without the knowledge of these things which I haven't learned in class though o_o'

Old Posted 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #311  
It's multiplied by a1 because k0 = 1.

That's one way to start from 0, yes. It's far from the ONLY way. In fact it's usually easier to start from 0 once you wrap your head around the idea. The n(n+1) works fine from 0 as it is because 0(0+1) = 0; we can clearly see that the sum of 0..n for n=0 is (drumroll please) 0.

Old Posted 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Oh, so it's possible to just start n at 0 :o. Is there a way to indicate what to start n at? n1=0?

Old Posted 04-07-2017, 09:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #313  
Formally, you do it this way:

This means "the sum from i=1 to n of i is n(n+1)/2".

It would also be correct to write i=0 for this one.

Old Posted 04-08-2017, 11:24 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Ohh I see, so Sn can be written using that funny looking sign to be more specific.

Thank-you very much!

Old Posted 04-10-2017, 01:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #315  
The symbol is called "sigma" (it's an uppercase sigma, to be specific) and it represents "summation". An uppercase pi (Π) represents a product (that is, multiplication) used the same way.

The Sn notation is more general. You can use it to describe any sequence. It's also fairly common to use f(n) notation, especially for sequences that you want to find a continuous (in the sense of a continuous function) extension for.

The disadvantage of the more general notations is that they are also less useful. Summations and products have a number of very useful properties -- for example, Σkx = kΣx -- that do not hold for generalized sequences. (Note that this is true in general: the more generalized a form is, the fewer consistent properties that are available using it.)

Old Posted 04-10-2017, 06:13 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Oh wow, I didn't know that uppercase pi (for multiplying do something to n numbers together(?)) existed.

I'm on spring break so I've not done any math xD (no homework)

Old Posted 04-11-2017, 06:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #317  
Πx is just 1 x 2 x ... x n, just like the sum, except with multiplication.

Old Posted 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
So... This is relevant for what you were studying recently, Potironette:

A visual proof that 1/3+1/3^2+1/3^3+...=1/2

Old Posted 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #319  
Ohh I remember my teacher splitting up pieces of paper trying to show that, though I only partly understood it. But why equals one half? Doesn't it never reach it?

Old Posted 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
There are techniques to actually find what the value would be if you went on to infinity. You'll study these in calculus. One that you could do right now would be to find the closed form representation of the sum (that was the Sn stuff) and plug infinity in for n.

The infinite sum converges to 1/2. The more terms you add, the closer you get.

Old Posted 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM Reply With Quote