Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Illusionist
Default   #17  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
The RIGHT to leave? Probably.

The ABILITY to leave? That's a different question, but it's true on Earth as well, just for different reasons -- money, skills, transportation, lots of things can make a child unable to go very far.
The ability to leave is another question as well... I'm sure it's possible but the money involve would be interesting. Not to mention no one would even be interested in letting the young adult to leave in the first place. :/

Old Posted 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
(This is Gaius, I forgot I was on my mule!)

I'm sure they'd the right to live wherever they want once they are adults. But Coda brings up a couple of good points - it would probably be more difficult to move to Earth from Mars than to move between most places on Earth. I do see the ethical concern you're bringing up, but I also see Coda's other point, which is that no matter where or how you're brought up as a child, you will always get different opportunities than other children, sometimes more opportunities and sometimes less, but that difference is always there even if we take Mars out of the picture. So I still don't know if raising a child on Mars is any worse than raising a child anywhere on Earth.

Also, while I can't speak for other countries, I highly doubt the U.S. would prevent any adult living in an American Mars colony from returning to Earth if a return trip was feasible. Though it might take a while to arrange, depending on how often trips between the two planets are being made at the time.
Old Posted 06-01-2016, 01:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #19  
My girlfriend said a little while ago, "Hey, let's watch this space movie trailer!"

And then all of a sudden, this question seems 100% less off the wall. :P
Old Posted 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Okay other questions:

If we all get into a position where we no longer send Mars supplies (war, we all die from global warming or whatever) and Mars couldn't become life sustaining, what would they do?

Old Posted 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #21  
Sounds rather like they'd eventually die.

Or grow potatoes in the hab. Hard to say, really.
Old Posted 06-01-2016, 09:13 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
My mind is asking all these questions abut these scenarios and I don't know why. xD

Old Posted 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #23  
Well, if you could come up with a compelling answer, you could write a book!

That's how that "Martian" book & movie got made. :P
Old Posted 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
I was about to say, Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles is about us going to Mars, followed by nuclear war.

...I actually was talking about this stuff to an aerospace engineer a few years back, and discussed problems with making planets (not Earth-sized and not in the "goldilocks" zone) habitable. Things like weaker gravitational and magnetic forces resulting in a much weaker atmosphere, and all. If I remember, it was thought to build under the planet's surface. With the plans for 3D printed structures in space, it could work. Would need to make it compartmentalized and create a sustainable environment inside the building (plants and all?)
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #25  
I suspect it would be more healthy for people to live in a large spinning space station than it would be to live on the surface of Mars (or Luna, or Europa, or whatever else). Since we can control gravity and radiation shielding much better in orbital structures than on a planet's surface.

Of course, building something like that would be quite the undertaking.
Old Posted 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM Reply With Quote  
-
I don't think I am going to be alive when Mars gets colonized. O.O
.___.
Buying: NATM
Questing: Event Items 13/19
Miniature Fairy Wings, Immortal Worlds, Eye Sore Current Funds:0 Au.
Updated: 12/16/16 08:55 PM
Old Posted 06-02-2016, 11:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #27  
I wouldn't mind retiring on Mars in a few decades. :P
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 06-03-2016, 12:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
i'd def visit ouo

Old Posted 06-03-2016, 12:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I suspect it would be more healthy for people to live in a large spinning space station than it would be to live on the surface of Mars (or Luna, or Europa, or whatever else). Since we can control gravity and radiation shielding much better in orbital structures than on a planet's surface.

Of course, building something like that would be quite the undertaking.
Which would be more costly: construct a fully liveable space station, or turn Mars into one? I don't know to be honest.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 06-04-2016, 03:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Turning Mars into one, definitely. There's always the gravity concern.

Atmosphere is practically non existent too. Of course, you can get around that with subterranean settlements. That would also protect from radiation
Old Posted 06-04-2016, 03:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #31  
Mars has enough gravity to eventually hold an oxygenous atmosphere, though. And it would also provide more geothermal heat, and it'd be more resilient against asteroids. So while a space station would be cheaper -- even a giant space station -- Mars would be the superior option in the long run.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 06-04-2016, 03:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
True. In the very long run. It would take quite a long time to terraform Mars. The primary problem with Mars, really, is the lack of magnetosphere I think. Problems with solar wind, UV rays, all that fun stuff.

Of course, if we're to the point we could terraform Mars, that's likely less of an issue.
Old Posted 06-04-2016, 03:58 PM Reply With Quote