Not Logged In
View Poll Results: Are you?
Self Studying 41 68.33%
School Taught 17 28.33%
Native Speaker 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #1761  
nope. nothing like tht. i prefer online classes anyway.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Nandattendayo!
(what was that about)
ouo

coda coda coda tell me my pokemon game really is teaching japanese x'D
if you watch the tv on the game the one channel and show claims to teach japanese OxO

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1763  
Actually I think (though I'm not certain) that it's "nani yatten da yo" which would mean "what are you doing?!", or possibly "atten da", which would make it "what is it?!" Both make sense and I've never seen it written out to know which it is.

Breaking it down: First, "nani" is "what". After that, you have "yatten da". This is "yaru" ("to do", rude) in -te form (making it "doing"), plus -n da for emphasis. And then "yo" for even more emphasis.

If it's "atten da" instead of "yatten da", then the verb is based on "aru" ("to be", casual) under the same conjugation.

Edit: *does a bit of research* It's "yatten da".
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
The only thing that comes to mind to say right here is.. I know nani kanji x'D

My stomach hurts to much at the moment so nothing is computing XD

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1765  
That said, you may be getting "nan da tte" mixed up with it. This is "nan da" (casual form of "nani desu") which means "what is it?" plus tte for emphasis.

This "tte" can also be said or written as "to" (which is technically more formal) and it's the same tte/to that you hear in phrases like "___ tte nan desu ka?" ("what is ___?", polite) or "___ to moushimasu" ("I am called ___", formal) and functions vaguely like a verbal quotation mark, although it's hard to really explain.

Edit: And don't confuse "da tte" with "datte"; they're two different things. :P

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
xD I typed it out as it showed up on my pokemon game.. my AMERICAN pokemon game xD

If you watch the one channel on tv on the english verison there is a show that supposedly teaches you phrases

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1767  
Wait. Seriously? XD *rubs head* Okay, that's awful.

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Ahahaha x'D I know. I had to ask if what they said this was, was what it really was or not xp

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Television

Quote:
For the last twenty-five minutes of each hour, other shows such as human interest pieces are broadcast; these include "Eyes on Unova", "Your Pokémon", "Personality Assessment and Horoscope", "National Gymquirer", and "Unova News". Other programs shown at this time are "Koukan Talk", which teaches Japanese in the North American games; and "PokéQuiz", which quizzes three kids on the Japanese names of Pokémon. There are even infomercials advertising overpriced items.

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Last edited by Demonskid; 10-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1769  
I know about Koukan Talk; it was in B1/W1. I just don't watch TV in the game that often and the few times I DID see it come on, it was actually right.

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
i never watched the tv before x'D I was only doing it for the tv metal in B2/W2 xD now I'ma be watching it lots

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1771  
So the latest Homestuck update includes a lot of Japanese.

It's pretty kanji-dense and you can't highlight the text to copy-paste it so I couldn't look it up very easily, and what I did understand looks like it's written by someone who knows enough Japanese to make a Google Translate reverse-translation readable, but sound pretty awkward in Japanese itself.

It's also rather sexually graphic, so if you don't like that kind of thing, don't go try to read it. ^^()

Old Posted 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
what was homestruck again? ^^,

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1773  
One of the most popular webcomics on the Internet. >.>;

http://mspaintadventures.com/

Old Posted 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
I don't really read webcomics oxo unless its cianide and happiness

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 10-23-2012, 02:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #1775  
ok so I am gonna try to turn some Romaji into Kanji xD lets see how I do *its easier then turning kanji into english xp*

What I am working on is my new signature. I always take a song I am into and put my favorite verse into my siggy.. since this song is new the lyrics haven't been put out yet i can only find the 1minute version in romaji xp. I'm also going off of what i can hear too.. cause half the romaji have 2 different words. like the one i found on dA had tsukui.. but its sukui.. TV Nihon had dase but it sounds like dassou. and some places wherelike kioku roots.. someone had kioku no roots but you don't here no.. oxo, oh and at hanpa nee ze.. someone had it hanpa janee ze.. but i don't hear the ja and neither did tv nihon..

MAGIC TIME! TRICK janai! mahou HERO hanpa nee ze, kioku ROOTS mogurikonde, kibou wo sukuidassou!

Magic Time, It's no Trick, The magic hero is no pushover, Dig into the roots of memory and save that hope!

(translation is from TV Nihon.)

MAGIC TIME, TRICKじゃない! 魔法HERO半端ねえぜ! 記憶ROOTS潜り坤で希望を救いだっそう!

made the font bigger just to see the kanji ><

oxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwJT...eature=related

thats the song its from but i couldn't find TN's subtitled version =w=

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Last edited by Demonskid; 10-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Posted 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I forget if I've posted these before.

履かなく舞い散る雪を見ていた (hakanaku maichiru yuki wo miteita)
最後の景色は白く切なくて (saiko no keshiki wa shiroku setsunakute)
凍えた指先二度と君に届けて (kooeta yubisaki nido to kimi ni todokete)
二人の足跡 残らず消えてく (futari no ashiato nokorazu kieteku)

"I was watching the fleetingly falling snow" (I had to look up "maichiru")
"The last scenery was white and painful" (I had to look up "keshiki")
"Let my frozen fingertips reach you a second time, and" ("todokeru" means "to deliver"; it's used here poetically to mean "reach out")
"our footsteps will disappear without leaving a trace" ("nokorazu" more literally would mean "without leaving anything behind" but I've adapted for poetry)

Old Posted 10-31-2012, 12:48 AM Reply With Quote