Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Socially Awkward
Default Shh. There's no needs for words, baby~! [Instrumental Music]   #1  

Didn't really see a topic on instrumental music, unless I somehow missed it.

Anyhow, anyone who knows me well will know that I simply <i>adore</i> instrumental music. I seem to like a wider variety of sounds and feelings if there are no words. It's easier for my mind to go crazy and imagine things. They're also less distracting for me, since words will interrupt my train of thought.

Most of my instrumental songs are from game OST. Some games, I have played. (Such as World of Warcraft, which actually has some of the most AMAZING music I've heard, no bias~) And some that I have not played (Aion, for example which has some pretty amazing songs as well.)

So, any fellow instrumental music fans?

What are some of your favorites? Have any lyric-less OSTs that you're particularly fond of? Any games or movies that you thoroughly enjoy the soundtracks of?

Here are some of my favorites:

World of Warcraft OSTs (particularly The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm)
There are no words. Simply beautiful. A great variety of sounds and tones. Some beautiful, some powerful, some unsettling, all amazing.

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus OST
Often melancholy, but very nice, almost ambient.

Aion OST
For all my sci-fantasy needs~
Particularly inspiring for a series/role-play group I plan on making some day. Relaxing, powerful, and sometimes unsettling. Like the WoW OSTs, it has a nice variety, though not as much.

Super Mario Galaxy OST
It makes me happy~!

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams OST
Another one that makes me smile.

Bluh, I have more, but now I'm just getting lazy/fprgetful haha.

Old Posted 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Dark Bladesman
Any soundtrack involving Shoji Meguro is godlike.

The Code Geass soundtracks are <3 for epic and serious moments although there are a few comical tunes in there too.

I'm a huge fan of instrumental music, so I'm always on the lookout for new songs without lyrics.

I'll Face Myself and The Master are two favorites that immediately come to mind.
Cruelty is a matter of perspective.
Old Posted 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #3  
I love the FFCC EoT soundtrack, but my favorite is still probably Pokemon Emerald/Sapphire and Assassin's Creed.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-02-2011, 11:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaRHlo4B0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq2PfOYPaQw

Three of my favorites.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-02-2011, 11:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #5  
Philip Glass anyone? Or Danny Elfman?
I like gaming music but I prefer the instrumental music on movie soundtracks better, like the ones for disney music. Pocahontas has some beautiful melodies. My All time favorite is Philip Glass. His soundtracks feel very emotional.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 04:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
I love instrumental music is doses. Cause while they're nice I like to hear voices. At all times i try to be around people just so I can hear them speaking, yet strangely I prefer to be left alone. Anyways when you mentioned Dirge of Cerebus i had to go to my PS2 and put in the game. But after that realized youtube was much easier haha.

Thanks to you I'm discovering things. LIke i usually don't notice sound unless there's a visual prompt like with SFX. Only listend to 3 songs and I like Lucreacia's so far. It's sad, fitting a far off look.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM Reply With Quote  
The Tragic Jester
Default   #7  
*places hands on the table* Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell.

Someone had to say it.
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Lost in the forest
It's about to get more geeky in here...

I enjoy spaghetti western and horror scores...
Ennio Morricone was a freaking legend. Rabbia E Tarantella is a favorite. (You would have heard his awesome stuff in Inglourious Basterds, but they were in other old westerns before that.)

Though I also loved the Green Leaves of Summer by Nick Perito at the beginning of the movie. It's the theme of the Alamo as well, created by the Brothers Four.

Also, Angelo Badalamenti is an awesome score composer.
He did the theme for Twin Peaks and he's done a ton of other scores. Eli Roth likes to use him for his films.

I also thought the score for the new (and the old, also) True Grit was amazingly spellbinding. I cried through most of that movie simply because of the soundtrack's power. The song at the end plus the film's ending itself is one of the most moving things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing in a theater.
/ Questing /
Insane Clutterbug & Creepy Lurker
Old Posted 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Decepticon
Default   #9  
I'm a fan of the soundtracks for Final Fantasy 7,8, and 9, but mostly 8.
I also enjoy the soundtracks for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, particularly the 2nd movie, and more specifically "The Kraken" and "Wheel of Fortune"
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 03:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
I know mine isn't a soundtrack, but I love Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. >.>
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Even Angels Fall
Default   #11  
My fav band that does instrumental music is midnight syndicate. It reminds me of the wow soundtracks but more medieval/haunted feel
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Hmm, now I'm torn, do we toss Classical Music into Instrumental? Cause I'm a Classical Music fan as well as enjoying some contemporary instrumental tunes.

I'm a fan of pretty much anything and everything Tchaikovsky ever did, as well as a great deal by Bach, Brahms and a few Beethoven ones.... I do NOT like Vivaldi...and that's pretty much a senior high class' fault. I also adore Of Sailors and Whales, and I'm still bitter I cannot find it anywhere for me to own!

As to contemporary, I love the OST to Juuni Kokki, Saiunkoku Monogatari and Samurai 7...and about a million more, but those are whole OSTs I can listen to on a daily basis. OH, and the Gungrave OST. I'll admit I don't tend to play a lot of video games with OSTs that I like, I tend to mute them(except GG) and put on other stuff.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 11:34 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #13  
I love The Lion King soundtrack instrumentals. I kinda burned myself out on the songs with words ;). They have vocals in some places but are in choir style and not really saying things, or not saying things in English, so they come of as more of a sound.

As far as non-soundtrack stuff, I like "Imperial" by Hammerfall, as well as a number of songs by Apocalyptica, which plays rock music on cello.

And since Warcraft was brought up, I'm not familiar with any of the "World of - " stuff since I've never played but I've always liked the music from Warcraft 2, most of which can be found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Za0rZs0Qk - "Human 1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAcK...eature=related - "Orc 5"
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 06:49 PM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
I love Ghibili soundtracks (most of them are instrumental lol)
and music from Nomak and Okawari
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Nightmare View Post
My fav band that does instrumental music is midnight syndicate. It reminds me of the wow soundtracks but more medieval/haunted feel
The only "Midnight Synidicate" I know of is the CD that was put out as a background for table-top Dungeons and Dragons games. There were a few put out, one I think which featured undead themes and another general adventurous style.

I also really like the soundtrack for Conan the Barbarian and it's made it's way into a couple other movies as well. The theme from it was set against the trailer for The Scorpion King and it annoyed me a fair bit. I find I like the softer stuff rather than the battle scenes.
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Even Angels Fall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
The only "Midnight Synidicate" I know of is the CD that was put out as a background for table-top Dungeons and Dragons games. There were a few put out, one I think which featured undead themes and another general adventurous style.
Yeah it is really good for the dnd type games. But its my wind down and bed time music. It calms me and there is no words to keep my head going so its perfect for bed.
edit: They have like 6 cds. the 13th hour is my fav album.
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM Reply With Quote