Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Forward Thinker
Default   #817  
Anthropologists? I people watch, and I make video games. Does that count? :P
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 12:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
You understand why people like what they do because of the culture they were raised in giving them pre made rights and wrongs? Then yep you have some cultural anthropology in ya.
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 01:18 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #819  
I definitely think cultural anthropology is awesome. I just didn't realize it had a major all to itself until I had a roommate studying it. I think certain branches of advertising (particularly research) can be pretty close though, which is part of why I studied advertising to begin with.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 08-09-2014, 05:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
I would be interested in seeing how advertizing research could be applied to getting public health information to different groups in a method that they would want to learn about.
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 07:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #821  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiva View Post
You understand why people like what they do because of the culture they were raised in giving them pre made rights and wrongs? Then yep you have some cultural anthropology in ya.
Cool...

Umm...so if you have sort of come to the conclusion that there are very few "good" or "bad" people...more just that people are fallible (and rather apathetic), and groups of exponentially so, through historical documents, stories, modern stuff, and personal experience...would that be philosophical or anthropological?
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Since i dont think anyone is participating in the posting event things anymore, im going to do page prizes.
Random pages.

Everyone on page 56 will get a item of sorts
she/her they/them
old queer
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #823  
Anthropology is a type of philosophy, so it's really "both."
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-09-2014, 10:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarlyra View Post
I would be interested in seeing how advertizing research could be applied to getting public health information to different groups in a method that they would want to learn about.
That sounds like it would be a really interesting project. I guess it would first involve knowing what the groups are that need information - what are their ages, races, locations, family situations, incomes, et cetera. From there, you can make some general assumptions about their behavior. For example, a group aged 40-65 white males would receive information much differently than a group of 18-24 black females. There's a lot of general information already out there about demographic groups, and from that information you can build surveys and conduct focus groups and interviews for the particular subject, public health, that you are looking for. When somebody says "I read the newspaper every morning while I ride the subway" or "I can't go 2 hours without checking Twitter" those are valuable insights as to where a person is really paying attention.

Old Posted 08-10-2014, 02:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #825  
Yeah both, but the thing is that you are using religion as a basis which is never allowed in anthropology. You never go in and make religion the driving force behind an action or lack of, look at the culture (Which may or may not include religion in an aspect) look at their myths or texts and see how they viewed other people and draw reasoning as to why they make the decisions they do. There is never a basis of good or bad or judgement of how a person lives their life. So technically what you are doing is general philosophy while anthropology would take their philosophy and dissect it to see why these things drive a person never creating a judgement on their actions.

Biggest thing is Anthropology is never to judge or go in biased because it creates a false reasoning that what they are doing is 'wrong' and you can not understand the values of the culture if you can not immerse yourself in it.
Old Posted 08-10-2014, 11:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
O.o
I am confused at where I was using religion in there. I didn't mention it at all...
?_?
__

__

Old Posted 08-10-2014, 01:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #827  
'Groups of people' is code for a religious group or cultural group in many things that I deal with I took it as such, sorry for the assumption.

Anthropology is the study of humans, past and present their culture and all aspects for what they do while striving to understand what they do or did.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

Those are taken from Wikipedia and my old Anthro textbook.
All people in one aspect is Philosophy, a group of people in all aspects is Anthropology. Best way to explain it.
Old Posted 08-10-2014, 01:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Ahh...by "groups of people" - I was referring to groups psychology studies.

Your explanation on the difference between Anthropology and Philosophy make sense. Thank you. :)
__

__

Old Posted 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Ero-God
Default   #829  
-absorbs the orb from Law and dances to the song I'm Sexy and I Know It-

~

My brain flipped around the conversation earlier, it was too hard to grasp what was being said; note for moi, wake up and then try to understand. x3
Old Posted 08-11-2014, 03:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Robin Williams is dead…. god that was like my childhood. *goes on a marathon*
Old Posted 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #831  
When I first heard I thought the person was lying. I had to look it up myself to believe it. I still don't think I've fully processed it yet...

Old Posted 08-11-2014, 10:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
My favorite comedian...and genie...and literary teacher...and military radio announcer...and guy who kept Superman's spirits up when he lost the ability to walk...

...other than that, I don't have much to say/post.
__

__

Old Posted 08-11-2014, 10:13 PM Reply With Quote