Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #817  
Cold brew is strong stuff. But really good. ><

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 03-24-2018, 10:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Cold brew is coffee made by substituting time for heat. (Sort of like the coffee equivalent of sun tea, in that sense.) It's less acidic because the cold water doesn't leach out as much of the harsher volatiles, and by contrast that also makes the flavor a little bit sweeter. It's a serious pain in the butt to actually make because it takes special equipment (you can buy a kit but it's kinda expensive and the yield is slow) but it's the best iced coffee you could ask for.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #819  
Huh. I wonder if I could actually handle that, then.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 03-25-2018, 12:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
There are also some simple methods to making cold brew. I used random vessels to soak the grinds and a filter/strainer that wasn't too fine where the water couldn't drain.

I've been trying a coffee berry tea this time. So far I don't like it as much as the coffee leaf tea. But I'm not sure if that's more due to the flavors they added to them.
Old Posted 03-25-2018, 09:07 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #821  
I wasn't a fan of coffee leaf tea myself. Can't remember too much of it except I found that it was underwhelming. I will likely remain a black tea person (sits here with a cup of Assam Banaspaty).

Tried this pistachio ice cream tea today at David's, where I went to replace my (completely unnecessary) tea leaf spoon, since my regular one has waggled off somewhere. Not bad, but surprisingly mild for a black tea. I have a bad habit of buying teas that look good. This time I just bought the cup, which is probably a little easier on the pocket book. They still keep ejecting my favourite teas though, and not bringing them back! I'm going to take the wrapper I saved for one of them and see if the guy at the nursery that blends teas can replicate it. This matters!

Anyone know a place that makes a good ginger pu'ehr? Or has any good pu'ehr? The other tea store that I would get my tea from appears to have gone out of business. I am having no luck with this.
Old Posted 03-25-2018, 09:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
I honestly just dump some coarse coffee grounds in a jar with cold water and leave it in the fridge for a few days for the cold brew XD I just have a little tiny mesh strainer that fits in my coffee cup that I put cheesecloth into to filter out the tinier particles as I pour. Super damn good. I used to get Starbucks' cold brew until the one time they just gave me cold coffee and I got VIOLENT heartburn. F*ck thaaaaaaaat...

Some Eclectic Witch
Ashwood's Item Quest Thread
Old Posted 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #823  
I encountered a thing called "Tea Runners" that send monthly tea boxes on subscription (Canada and USA), or just boxes that you order. Seems pricey though. Has anyone tried them?
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Picked up some oolong tea to try. It's from Nepal, and tastes kinda refreshing like green tea. Apparently the Taiwanese stuff is more on the earthy side, and a little more like black tea.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-13-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old Posted 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #825  
I started drinking Detox tea again. It's supposed to be cleansing so I hope it does some good. x_X

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 04-20-2018, 04:43 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I never really do those detox things. I just avoid crummy food for a couple of days and that seems to handle things if I start to feel icky. Plus, most of the stuff marked "detox" involves things I can't have.
Old Posted 04-20-2018, 07:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #827  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I just avoid crummy food for a couple of days and that seems to handle things if I start to feel icky.
Frankly that's actually a better idea than any product marketed as "detox", because the entire concept of detox is pseudoscientific hogwash. The body does not carry around toxins that can be purged through spa treatments or special foods. Of note, few people peddling detox products can even tell you what those toxins actually are supposed to be, and those who do have an answer to the question can't produce a biologically-sound explanation for why those toxins are a risk and why the treatments in question are able to do anything about it.

"But Coda," I hear a hypothetical person say, "it really works. I used it and I felt better!"

Well yes, of course you did. Spa treatments feel good even if they don't have any actual health benefits, and monitoring what you eat is good for you in general. And feeling like you're taking charge of your own health is a very satisfying thing, which again can make you feel better even if you haven't actually done anything that would make a difference just because of the stress relief it provides.

Tea in particular is soothing, and drinking warm clear fluids can relieve a number of unpleasant symptoms. So if a detox tea makes you feel better, then by all means drink it! But don't let the snake oil peddlers trick you into paying a premium for a special "detox" variety that doesn't do anything more than the normal stuff.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-21-2018, 09:15 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
My theory on detox and cleansing stuff in general is pretty much that by restricting your intake, you stop eating whatever things are bothering you and your body has time to process them out.

Because I need to watch how I feel for health reasons all the time, I've gotten pretty decent at reading what issues might be caused by what. Pu'ehr tea seems to help with my dodgy gut, and coffee at other times. I figure those teas marked with things like detox or weight loss are probably doing something. If they were totally innocuous, my pills wouldn't have gripes with some of the ingredients. David's "the Skinny" pu-ehr tea is meant for metabolism boosting, but it contains a root that my pills don't like.

That reminds me, I need to find that old back of the chai tea I liked that wa discontinued so I can go the to local tea guy and see if he can make something similar. Stupid discontinued teas!

Also, in an effort to reduce my tea intake, I've started making little pots instead of one cup at a time. Not sure if it really helps, but my theory is that I get fewer tannins because I'm using fewer tea bags.
Old Posted 04-21-2018, 07:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #829  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
My theory on detox and cleansing stuff in general is pretty much that by restricting your intake, you stop eating whatever things are bothering you and your body has time to process them out.
Yeah, this is what I was saying too -- watching what you eat by itself will improve your health.

Old Posted 04-23-2018, 01:57 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
The only time I had to do an actual detox was when I was on kidney dialysis, given my kidneys weren't alive enough to handle it themselves. I had a couple days where I couldn't get it done because (medical explanation) and had to take a nasty cocktail to reduce my potassium. I'd have sooner tried any manner of strange detox things (recalls mom's yeast-thing growing in the cupboard) than take that crud again.
Old Posted 04-23-2018, 02:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #831  
That... sounds like quite the adventure.

Old Posted 04-23-2018, 04:34 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Went to visit my mom and then my aunt, and we ran out of 2% milk! Three days without a civilized cup of tea! It was horrid!
Old Posted 07-05-2018, 06:22 AM Reply With Quote