Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #65  
I'm a fan of the "races" of vampires in Masquerade; seems a lot more simple, but I only ever see Requiem on the shelves. All of the White Wolf games look interesting, and I thought I saw something about a faerie game that was either just out or in the making. It would be cool to have a game that includes all of the races that White Wolf has done so far.

Serenity seems really simple compared to other RPGs, but I love the character attributes/flaws and the fact that you can buy a ship or build one from scratch. =3 If ever I stop being a hermit and step out into the sun, I'd like to find a group of Firefly fans to play with.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I know they cross over each other. For instance, Vampires and Werewolves are enemies and something is said about it in each manual. The editions are all compatable with each other and I've seen different settings around, like Werewolf: Dark ages or Western.

Off the top of my head there is Werewolf, Mage, Vampire, Changeling, and a few more that I can't think of right now. They use a D10 success failure system. Role a number of d10s, beat a specific number, like 6 or so, a certain number of times to succeed at whatever you are doing.

Saw serentiy, never played.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #67  
Changeling must have been what I was thinking about with the faerie thing. I didn't like D&D's version of the changeling race, so I might have to check that one out. It would be interesting to get all of the books together and have a huge campaign that crosses over into all of them.
*plans excursion to Hobby Town to gather recruits* >D
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
I've done White Wolf a few times, and there's a bunch of races I can never recall the names of...which is ironic since I usually played them just to torque off the GM...he was a jerk. But yeah there's also cat-shifters and reptilian-shifters in there...and of course NO ONE gets along.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-13-2011, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #69  
Just remembered another DnD story.

We were playing a short campaign at level 100 (I believe I mentioned the Immortals rules we used above) and the party was fighting a particularly nasty god who managed to wipe out two of the three PCs, leaving only the fighter-type alive... whom he promptly cast Imprisonment on, sealing him in the center of the planet. And we all assumed that was the end of that.

But said fighter's player, after being quiet for a minute, checks over his character sheet, opens up the rulebook, then jumps out of his chair and exclaims "I sunder the planet!".

Looking it up, an Earth-sized planet has roughly 100,000 hp apparently, and with his orichalcum warhammer and all the crazy divine abilities he had, he was... actually able to do it.

So, he split open the planet they were on and came charging back into the god's temple and promptly caved his skull in and finished the adventure.

High-epic play is weird.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
XD OH MY GOD!

That's the most epic nerdy story I've ever heard. Now I have to sit and wait for the perfect time to use the phrase "I sunder the planet!"
Old Posted 05-13-2011, 11:07 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #71  
Wow. That would have been interesting.

I was solo playing with my sister as DM. I was playing a four character party and wandered into a rather ill fated battle. One of the bad guys managed to cast "Tasha's Hideous Laughter" on my stoic pyromanical cleric (fine! Fire worshipping cleric). I failed the save miserably. My main fighter guy was also disarmed via whip, his weapon nabbed by said whip wielder, and promptly smacked with his own sword. Seeing as the DM only rolled an attack and disarm check for that I insisted on the nad guy making a dex check or something to catch and use the sword. It works. Ow. On the plus side, once my cleric stopped laughing he set the mage on fire with his enchanted spiked chain. :)
Old Posted 05-13-2011, 11:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
The whole adventure was fairly interesting, now that I think on it, actually.

At one point, they fought a Void Dragon who could circle the planet 4 times with one move action (His move speed per round was something like 50,000 miles) and had the Strafing Breath feat, so he would nuke the party four times and then fly to the other side of the planet and wait out their turns.

Later on, they fought a paragon Storm Giant with 80 levels of Godslayer who would have made mincemeat of the gods in the party, so the fighter character above (the only one without any Divine Rank) ran to grapple him, threw him into the earth creating a massive pit, then dove in after him and pounded him to pulp. Godslayers aren't too tough against mortals of the same level. :p

Then, in a complete anticlimax, I had 5 really powerful (or so I thought) demons come shrieking out of the sky at them, only for the wizard-god to calmly raise his hand, cast a 4-times-split-rayed, 10-times-empowered, maximized, unbound Disintegrate and reduce them all to ash.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 12:56 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #73  
Gee. That's definately a bit beyond what my groups are usually capable off. Generally, we seem to be investigating how many things can be inadvertantly set on fire and the uses of a walking corpse. Those are surprisingly many, among them stepladder, mode of transportation, ventriloquism, and trap fodder.
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
One of our favorite spells was Unliving Weapon from the Book of Vile Darkness. Makes an animated undead explode when killed. Endless possibilities.

As for traps, one of my worst (best) was a teleportation circle into the bottom of an underground lake of acid covered in permanent antimagic fields, with a clan of Black Slaad living on the shore to pick off any survivors. This was in another epic dungeon we ran, have to be tough on players at that level.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 08:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #75  
Ouch. The most annoying trap I ever devised was the hallway with needle traps in the walls and poison gas triggers on the floor, both of which were spent long ago. Of course, the PC's didn't know that. Took them half an hour to get across the hallway and in to the actual crypt.
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I was always fond of the "room of death" from 1st ed. that made it onto the stupidest monsters ever list.

"Hello adventurer. You walk into the room. That's when the floor starts to fight with the ceiling about who gets to eat you. While they fight you sneak along the wall, hoping to escape...only to find out the wall's already starting to digest you the moment you touch it. Adventurer, I hope you've enjoyed your stay in the Room of Death. Remember to fill out your comment card."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #77  
Heh. Reminds me of the guest book in Castle Ravenloft, for purposes of notifying next of kin. ;)
Old Posted 05-16-2011, 02:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
The list, in case anyone interested in other hilariously stupid monsters. There's a second part linked somewhere in there, as well. My favorite is the Duckbunny, it's just fun to say. Duckbunny!
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Celestial Princess
Default   #79  
I haven't really ever played yet, just one game with a group that died not long after I joined.

What happened was interesting... to put it lightly. I ended up with a wizard who was terrorfied of cauldrons.
I amGREED, Fall before me!
Old Posted 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I think this is the last story I have that's really worth sharing, but it's probably the most memorable one to me.

This is a pretty long story, so I'm spoiling it.

Oh, and this is the last time he was allowed to run a game, by the way. I honestly think he was just making up half of his numbers, unless that giant had d100s for hit dice...
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM Reply With Quote