Pandora
Feysha
Mirothea
Dacorum
Fenrir
Zephyr
Lunae
Niya

Only about half of whom have anything resembling a major role in this event story. I don't know about you, but my favorite stories tend to have on the order of 100 to 1000 characters; I don't think 10 is particularly much to ask a reader to keep track of. I find it unlikely that's the focal issue at all, more so the interwoven backstory of the last 6 or 7 events that this story is building off of. This is, literally, the middle of the story, it's rather to be expected that someone looking at it out of context won't be able to grasp the situations very easily.

I insist, though, that the number of characters is not the prime contributing factor towards inaccessibility. We only have something on the order of 50 NPC accounts on the site, period, and maybe half of those have a role in this plot. That... is not that large of cast. And I'll contend as well that the plot is no more complex than the most average specimens of this genre; pick up any science-fiction or fantasy novel and you'll, on average, encounter a similarly-structured ratio of cast-to-events (though the popular, "epic" doorstopper series tend to weigh that average toward stories far more complex than Trisphee's.)

I wonder if, perhaps, the expectation coming into the site's story is part of the issue. I honestly have no idea what you guys expect it to be structured like, but its (as implied) conceived as a novel (by closest comparison). That might be part of the barrier, I suppose.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM  
Mother Ship
The problem is that, if it is meant as a novel, it is not in one place where a person can just sit down and read it, it is currently in multiple forums, and the order is not specified unless it is supposed to be specified by the order of threads. That could also be perceived as a problem as well.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Default   #51  
But there's not enough characters on here for the story to be a novel. >.>

I feel like the complexity is sort of there, but something feels missing. Something I can't put my finger on at the moment. @_@

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM  
Desolation Denizen
Yokuutsu, we're working on getting things in order, it hopefully shouldn't be too much longer before it's better organized, which should help out a lot on that front. We'll have summaries available, too.

Ari, I'm not sure why you think that. There's no character minimum for a novel, my own novels only have a cast of 10 to 15 or so; it'd be possible (and I'm sure someone's done it) to write a novel with only one character. Or even none. :O
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Default   #53  
Yeah, I know. But I like having more. I personally enjoy having many different facets characters to play with. I mean, sure, it's more work, but I just enjoy it more. X3

I'm weird, and possibly kind of crazy, like that. >.>

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM  
The Illusionist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikana View Post
But there's not enough characters on here for the story to be a novel. >.>
Your kidding.... Right? o.e....
Theres enough characters to write 3 separate novels! *runs off and hides*

Old Posted 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM  
The Mad Scientist
Default   #55  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
Your kidding.... Right? o.e....
Theres enough characters to write 3 separate novels! *runs off and hides*
Ah, no there isn't actually.

Old Posted 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM  
We're all mad here.
Depends on the novel. ;)
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 08:59 PM  
Mother Ship
Default   #57  
Quote:
As a newish, though not entirely new person - let me lay it on you.
~ There are years of events to read back and figure out what happened. YEARS. Yes, I would love to go read it all, I'm a person that loves to read. But When you come to a new site - I myself, though I wanted to know the story - These items are amazing. I felt I could not spend time reading years of back story. They story keeps going and I can't even keep up with the new story, because I have not read the back story.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'w wonderful that this site has a plot and characters and people who love them and I know I'm probably the minority in having not read the whole story.

But for new people - it's freaking intimidating!

First you have to get used to a new avatar, new people, new items, the avatar system (which is the freaking best I've come across by the way.)

Plus - how can you spend time catching up when you need to post to get money for these great items.

I have a limited time to be on site. And I want to spend it getting items not read back story.

I'm just trying to be honest.

Now, maybe if someone (you seems to have a few writer here) were to write a overview. And I'm not talking about another novel, I'm talking main bullet points - and this is list that needs to be kept up for new people from here on in. Something short and sweet. That. That a person can catch up with and then be able to get into the story line going on now.

Thanks and I hope important people read this.
I wrote this in a different thread but I want people to hopefully read it a bit. Thanks!
I've been in the hospital for a month!
Pneumonia. Complications and chest tubes.
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM  
We're all mad here.
Short answer Faux, we're already on it. ;). Can't get this stuff done over night though. As said, there's a lot of it.
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 10:53 PM  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #59  
There are definitely a TON of characters when they're all dumped on you at once. When reading a novel generally only a few characters are introduced at a time. If too many are introduced at once it's really overwhelming and hard to follow.

Also I tend to read novels with fairly small casts, I guess. When I think about the last few novels I read, which was basically the complete works of E.M. Forster, they were basically all slice-of-life stories with only a handful of main characters and a small supporting cast. But it's honestly moot; the number of characters in a novel alone doesn't mean anything, it's how they're used. Personally, when I try to read just this event, I'm left confused because there are a ton of people and I can't keep them straight at all. They also all have pretty weird names that I don't find very easy to remember.

I mean, obviously that's just my opinion and you guys are certainly under no obligation to just please me. I'm just trying to explain why I feel the way I do.
Old Posted 12-08-2012, 02:58 AM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
The books I'm reading right now aren't even novels, actually. They're non-fiction, but I love them just as much since they're quite entertaining all on their own. X3

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 12-08-2012, 03:00 AM  
The Mad Scientist
Default   #61  
There is 57 scenes from the old events. All of with have been chaptered and put in the storybook :| YOUR WELCOME! I SPENT A GOOD PORTION OF MY LIFE MAKING IT EASIER FOR EVERYONE TO UNDERSTAND THIS BEAST OF A STORY. Love Me.

I will be doing event summaries for each, but those will take a bit, but atleast you can now figure which ones to read and in what order :|

Old Posted 12-08-2012, 03:24 AM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
*lavishes lots of love upon Nexy* <3

MERCI BEAUCOUP, NEXY. (THANK YOU, NEXY in French.) <3

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 12-08-2012, 03:27 AM  
The Mad Scientist
Default   #63  
o3o Ulti helped me to, Ulti moved all the things from the past Celeb's to the subforums I had made for the story <3 LUFFLES FOR ULTI!

Old Posted 12-08-2012, 03:38 AM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
*lavishes a plethora of love upon Ulti as well* <3

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 12-08-2012, 03:44 AM