Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

writing machine in bad repair
Default   #49  
I try getting my friends to watch Doctor Who, but they never do.

I got one of my friends to watch "Father's Day" but he was like "This is just weird," and never watched another episode.

Not my fault he caught the episode with the time-dragons and lots of character development/continuity. :S

Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Lol, yeah. One of the dangers of Doctor Who is starting with the wrong episode. I know someone who's first episode was Waters of Mars o.O
Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #51  
Haha, The Waters of Mars is not a good episode to start with, at all.

Other than the references to David Bowie, I really didn't like that episode.

The biggest issue I had with it was the fact that there was fire in space. And a dramatic walk through fire in space!

Putting myself in a non-fan's shoes, I could definitely see the confusing sort of plot, the scientific errors, and the melodrama really turning a person off from watching another episode.

Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Lol, yeah. The biggest problem they had was that all of their friends had told them how awesome Tennant's Doctor was, and if you didn't have the context to see what led 10 to that point emotionally,. he almost seems like the villain of the show in that ep. He basically thought 10 was an asshole, lol. Luckily he gave the show another try and went back to the beginning.
Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #53  
I love Ten and all, but I really don't see why he's more awesome than Nine or Eleven.

Maybe it's because I like my Doctors kind of weighed down by something. For Nine, it was guilt and stuff. For Eleven, I think he's just a bit more angry than Ten ever was, and more of a risk taker.

I have no clue why I prefer them to Ten, honestly. I should re-watch all the New Who episodes and see if I can't figure it out.

Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Hehe, I like all of them, although it did take a while for 11 to grow on me. I think 10 is my favorite because he's the one I crush on the most, lol. I just love David Tennant. On a less shallow note, 10 is probably a lot of people's favorite because he had the longest run in the new series. Just like a lot of classic Who fans say 4 is their favorite because his run was the longest. When you see someone as your "primary" character, they can also easily become your favorite, simply due to being more familiar with them. All three are brilliant in their own way though.
Old Posted 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #55  
Yeah, you're probably right.

Also, for a lot of American fans, I don't think they really watched the first season but tuned in later, when it was Ten. So Ten would not only be their longest-running Doctor, but also their first. And people tend to favor their first Doctor, from what I've noticed.

It actually took about five or six episodes before I warmed up to Ten, but I loved Eleven almost instantly. And that was coming from me absolutely hating him for being really, really young. I didn't think someone as young as Matt Smith could play a character who's supposed to be as worldly and intelligent as the Doctor, but when he showed he could, I loved him to pieces.

Old Posted 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
doctors 4 nd 10 are my faves :o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 01-04-2011, 09:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #57  
10 was my semi-first, lol. I had seen a few random eps of series 4 before I went back and started from the beginning, so I had already gotten fond of him.

I liked 9 from the first, although it took a second watch through the series to appreciate how really brilliant Eccleston was.

11 took me a while to warm up to, partly because I was in mourning for 10, lol. Also, a lot of season 5 was hit and miss for me. I really liked the first two episodes, and loved the insight into the Doctor's self-loathing in Amy's Choice, but the bulk of the season, while not bad, didn't really jump out and make me love it, until the last four episodes. Vincent and the Doctor was beautiful and The Lodger is where I really started to appreciate Matt Smith's special brilliance in playing the Doctor. That's the ep where I decided that I loved 11 as much as I had loved 9 and 10. The Christmas special just cemented that for me and now I can't wit for the new season ^^
Old Posted 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Yeah, I love Eccleston so much. <3

I love all the Doctors of the New Who series (still working my way through the classic episodes, so can't pass judgment on those yet, but from what I've seen of the First Doctor, I definitely don't love him. xD) but Nine, I just loved him so much. He was funny and kind of dark and still childishly happy/curious at times. Lovely <3

I think I should maybe re-watch Ten's run. I remember loving him a lot (and loving David Tennant) but there was such a long gap between seasons that I sort of forgot what was great about him. I own the DVDs of Nine's season, so I had those to remind me all the time, but... yeah. Need a reminder for Ten. I should try and rent them from Blockbuster, maybe.

Old Posted 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #59  
If you've got Netflix, they've got it available for streaming. ^^ If you don't I'm sure Blockbuster will have them too.
Old Posted 01-05-2011, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
I just finished re-watching all of the episodes of "New Who" - that is to say, from Nine through the run of Ten - and I still can't quite grasp why people like Ten so much. Tennant is amazingly lovely and stuff, but the Tenth Doctor as a character grated on my nerves quite a bit, and some of the episodes ("Love and Monsters", holy shit, what awfulness thought that up?) of Ten's run were absolutely unwatchable, while I would totally watch and re-watch Nine's episodes again and again. Unsure if I would say the same for Eleven, but I've seen them twice and still loved them so... maybe?

I suppose Ten is a pretty charming character. When he's being funny. He's quick and smart and has a lot of really great lines, but that's pretty much where the like ends...

Still can't really get why everyone loved him over the rest.

Old Posted 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Ero-God
Default   #61  
The fourth Doctor is still my favorite with the second in well second xD

The tenth is one of my favorite actors, but that Doctor is partly based off of the fourth in my opinion.

I inherited all the VHSs that my father had of Doctor Who, love 'em and watch them when I can. I have from the first Doctor to the sixth, but not complete.

My favorite two companions are Leela and Romana; still love the Daleks as my all time villains and the Master is pretty good too.
Old Posted 02-21-2011, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
The Darkest Star
Mmm.. I love me some Doctor Who. :3

I'm surprised I hadn't seen this thread before.

Batty's mule, yo.

Old Posted 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #63  
It was sort of buried. xD

Old Posted 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
DOCTOR WHO THREAD NEEDS TO LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE.

I wanna talk about the new plottings with people. SO LIVE, DARNIT! LIVE!
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM Reply With Quote