Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #49  
I used to play Dungeons and Dragons 3.0/3.5, but I am now playing Pathfinder RPG, since I'm not a fan of D&D 4th ed.

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

♔ Trisphee's one and only Vampire Prince ♔
Currently working on "Dream World Is Mine" art.
Let me catch you in my Dark Void...

Old Posted 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
I don't know anyone that really likes D&D 4th
I play anywhere from 1-3.5
Cause my father started out with version 1
and still has all his stuff.
And I've made him catch up to 3.5
^.^;

I've heard good things about Pathfinder if I remember correctly.
=3
"It's in the stars.
It's been written in the scars on our hearts.

Your head is running wild again, my dear.
We still have everythin'.
We're not broken, just bent.
I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #51  
Pathfinder is very similar to 3.5. Paizo, the company that distributes Pathfinder, used to make Pathfinder setting things for 3.5, and when it went on to 4.0, they no longer do that, so they created a RPG independent of D&D.

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

Old Posted 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
That sounds pretty cool~
"It's in the stars.

I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #53  
I think I still have D&D 3.5 stuff for Pathfinder.

It's funny, because I play Pathfinder in an organized game play (kinda similar to Living Grey Hawk), and some of the older scenarios haven't been converted to Pathfinder yet, so they use the D&D 3.5 Monster Manual rather than the Pathfinder Bestiary.

Old Posted 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
I've never played. I'm always curious, but, eh, I have no super strong desire. They still confuse me a bit. Seems like there are so many rules.
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Default   #55  
did someone say pathfinder :D I am totally addicted since I had a friend GM a couple games for our group! I was a DnD baby, then, yeah, fourth came out and it was just horrendous. I still play a 2.0 game with a group, I miss a lot of those races :(
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 04-07-2011, 12:49 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I'm a game nut in just about every way. Card games, role play, consol games, PC games, board games, etc. But my favourite really is playing DnD. It's sort of a family thing here. Back in the 70s my dad encountered this thing called DnD and thought it would be a good thing for his nerdy stepson to d, so dad DMd for my brother. After my sister and I came along my brother introduced it to us with ADnD and later 3.0. A number of cousins and such also play. It was always great fun and we usually play marathon sessions that last at least two days.

We don't get together often anymore though, because of jobs and school and the like. Since I'm the least busy I've largely taken over DMing for our group. I've also started gaming online though message boards. I currently run one game and play in another, both Eberron world. Since it's painfully slow at times, we tend to focus more on character interaction and story than kick-in-the-door dungeon crawling. Online dice rollers handle the number crunching.

And yes, I'm not a fan of 4e, though I do have the books. Right now I'm poised to be one of the last 3.5 dms on the forums I play on since most new games are 4e. I like the character creation better in 3.5, with all the skills and little tweeks that can be made. Characters aren't quite so defined by their class as they seem to be in 4e.

Outside of DnD I used to play Magic: the Gathering quite a bit but I recently got out of the game though I still have my decks and a small collection of cards I kept.

I've played Munchkin, though never Killer Bunnies even though I know we have it somewhere. One of my favourite games is Citadels, a card based game where players take on identities that are kept secret and try to be the first to build a city, without the other characters getting in your way. A lot of the game involves selecting one's character and guessing who the other characters are.
Old Posted 05-02-2011, 06:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #57  
I played DnD 3.5 in high school for 3 years, though as time went one, we started modifying the system so much it barely resembled 3.5 anymore. We adopted the third-party Immortals Handbook for insanely high-epic gameplay with gods and cosmic entities as PCs. I eventually basically rewrote the entire players' handbook for my campaign setting, with all new classes, a new spell system with new spells, a hundred new feats, and a design approach incorporating 3.5's entire catalogue, especially the Book of Nine Swords rules.

And... my group broke up before I could ever run a game with it. :|

Oh, and I play in Quiet's forum game. It's really slow, but it's also a lot more in-depth doing it play-by-post, almost like collaborative writing.

I have some amusing and/or ridiculous anecdotes from our games I can relate, but I'll save them for another post. Most of them involve TPKs and battles that took far too long to adjudicate.

One short tale I can share though regards the beginning of a campaign I was running. I took the bard player aside as asked him to do something to get the party imprisoned, so, whilst at the tavern, he went up to a lizard man at the bar (of the very honorable nearby swamp kingdom of the lizard men, stalwart allies and trading partners of the city they were in) and... hissed in his face, for a good ten seconds. Suffice it say, the insult was not taken well.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Okay...I read that as "kissed" the first time.

Nothing majorly spectacular in my DnD adventures so far, just the occasional odd moment, usually when my sister is DMing. She takes everything said as fair game so if someone says in jest, "I push the sorcerer down the slop towards the cave" it happens. The the sorcerer grabs onto the character that did the shoving and that character falls too, rolling on top of the sorcerer and doing d6 damage because the second character is a 500 pound nimblerite. And both characters end up in a heap in front of the cave that was really the lair of a hydra that is now woken and annoyed at standing at the entrance. Weee.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 07:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #59  
You actually just reminded me (I might have told you this story before, can't remember) that once, I was running a gauntlet for a friend who'd put together a party he considered very optimized (and they were, in a way), I think they were around level 15. And he was pretty much steam-rolling the encounters I threw at him, but eventually, being as overconfident as he was at that point, he walked into a room with a 15-headed cryo-hydra who won initiative on him and nuked his whole party for 45d6 cold damage, killing everyone but his half-giant fighter. He was impressed.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I'm a fairly friendly DM in that I don't like to kill people though my brother has commented that PC can be fairly hard to kill, especially considering the CR system. He lets us get away with pretty innovative or non-standard things though, which helps. He's always up for novel ideas.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #61  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I'm a fairly friendly DM in that I don't like to kill people though my brother has commented that PC can be fairly hard to kill, especially considering the CR system. He lets us get away with pretty innovative or non-standard things though, which helps. He's always up for novel ideas.
Well, as I said, it was a gauntlet. The whole point was to see how far he could get. Our group couldn't meet that week, so we were just wasting time, anyway.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 02:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
I played D&D 4 a few times, mostly with a couple of my friends - none of us had a firm grasp on how to play, so it was fun just stumbling through it and then giving up and spending all of our time rolling different characters. I can't ever find anyone who's willing to sit down and teach me because apparently 4 is evil, and all I get is "No. Noooo!"

I've also played the Serenity tabletop game with one of my exes, and though that was a time in my life that I really really wish would fly out the window and never return, it was a lot of fun. It's a neat new system for major Firefly nerds like me. I also have a nagging desire to buy a copy of the Vampire game - either Requiem or Masquerade. Just for shits and giggles.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #63  
I've seen the Serenity game and I love firefly but I wasn't sure if it would be any good honestly. Maybe I'll look into getting it. I need to find a group to play games with though.... My friends and I have different hours now.

I want to find a nice supernatural tabletop game. With Weres' /Fae /Vamps /Etc.
I just haven't found one yet
"It's in the stars.

I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Masquerade is the edition before Requiem, I belive. I have a couple of the White Wolf Word of Darkness settings; Vampire: the Masquerade, and Werewolf: the apocalypse. Never played in any though. I was invited to join a Mage: the awakening game but it was too far off campus for me to be comfortable taking public transit. I learned the system though. I was going to try and write some teeny manuals so my other gamer friends could learn quickly but never did get around to it beyond a rough draft.
Old Posted 05-12-2011, 10:23 PM Reply With Quote