Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Illusionist
Default   #17  
That was frank of you... If I can be a bit personal here the way your post sounded in my head, is telling me that it was based more off of other things then my comment. :/

Old Posted 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I have an agreement with Coda. Your reason against SOPA and PIPA are not good reasons. You basically stated you wanted it because you read Manga on the internet, which isn't legal because the Manga is under copyright. Places like that do need to be shut down, it is giving away free books under copy right to people that haven't bought the book. That is Stealing, and like Limewire, is illegal. A better reason to be against it is because of the fact that if you are on Trisphee and someone doesn't give credit to a picture or piece of text, this whole site can get shut down, because we are breaking copyright.

Or the Fact that Craigslist will be no more, and that means no more free posting for jobs or lost pets. Things like that getting shut down are problems, not the fact that you won't be able to read free manga, that shouldn't be free in the first place.

If any of my information is wrong please correct me.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
I'm avoiding any discussions on ethics here (not going to get into whether anything is "right" or "wrong") but Tiva's example is a good one. SOPA/PIPA would require Trisphee to hire a zillion mods and censor every single post before we allow it to be visible if we don't want to run the risk of having our PayPal account frozen because someone posted an image of Mickey Mouse.

Illusion, if there's anything deeper to be read than just the words I wrote, it's that I have a particular sore spot for people who support a good position with a bad reason, because this looks bad for everyone else that supports that good position. That's my motivation: I hate it when people who share my opinion say things that make my opinion look bad, and the more significant the subject matter, the more offended I am when someone does that. And considering that I'm a professional web developer, this one sort of hits home pretty hard.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 05:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
*giggles* Coda double posted....

Sorry I have a thing about people not buying books, Tokyo Pop shut down due to lack of manga sales and part of it is because of people not buying the books and instead reading them online.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #21  
Honestly, I have issues with the specifics of SOPA/PIPA. The general idea behind it is good (i.e. fighting piracy of music, books, movies, etc.), but how the politicians are using that in a perverted attempt to censor the internet and implement control over what we can view, post/upload, and download. As stated, this would result in the shutting down of sites like Craiglist, Trisphee, Gaia, and more that the population uses on a regular basis.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Double post? What double post? ;)

Alpha, that's the problem everyone has. For the most part, most reasonable people either agree that something should be done about piracy or at the very least don't oppose something being done because it doesn't matter to them. There are of course exceptions, but the big problem is that SOPA/PIPA has problems that extend far beyond mere piracy issues.

I wouldn't say the politicians are TRYING to censor anything, though. I would say that the politicans are trying to avoid red tape and bureaucracy in the courts, and their attempts to do so would allow CORPORATIONS to censor things using copyright as a weapon, just as a weakness in how the bill works. That's part of the problem -- if you believe in the good nature of rightsholders, SOPA actually isn't a problem at all. The problem is that it's been proven that they DON'T have good natures.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #23  
True Coda, though my view is that since they are pushing it through in the first place they are placing the power in the hands of those who will ultimately censor it and basically stating what to censor by swaying public opinion to create pressure on said corporations.

I believe that ultimately this will fail due to many politicians fearing for their positions should they vote for its passage and create disapproval amongst their their constituents. However, I understand that there are those who are diehard believers in such things to the point of not caring whether or not they get re-elected. Therefore there is a chance that it will pass, though I hope that such will not occur.

Also, nice on deleting the double post Coda.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The corporations don't care what the public says. The corporations will do what they think makes money. They're safely established and there aren't enough people who actually care out there that would boycott them -- a boycott would hurt the boycotters more than the boycottees.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #25  
i dont like the blackout, a few years ago when youtube had every video as a rickroll for april fools one of my friends failed a presentation at university because she couldnt show the video on youtube she needed for her presentation. thankfully i dont think youtube is participating in the blackout but i dont think these sites realise the impact it will have on everyone(especially those of us in other countries that dont even know whats going on with sopa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
The Elf Demon
I wanted to know what this was my brother was talking about. I think this all baloney. :P
♥Quest Thread♥,♥Buying & Selling Thread♥,♥Art Request Thread♥

Toriki my mother
&
Nikko my father
&
Alpha my older brother
&
Turtle Is my older sis

Name change from Yume.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #27  
I just saw the wiki..

DK does not like this ono the wiki... I love the wiki ;o;

All sorts of informative sites will go down?

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiva View Post
I guess we aren't though I must say that some sites are 'closed down' like craigslist. It is an annoyance but for a good cause.
which kind of sucks cause my store uses craigslist in order to bring in customers

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #29  
its not so much that things would be censored and stuff taken down, its that we would need permission to put up copywrited material on the internet. although as an aussie, i cant be sued for putting up copywrited material on the web :D
Quote:

I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
What is the scariest thing about this is that it could give the RIAA and places like Viacom full reign to shut down entire websites, blogs, video hosting, ETC.

I don't want my cousins three year old daughter to be sued because she has a video of herself singing a copyrighted song to her new puppy.

I don't want my blog shut down because someone put a link to copyrighted material in the comments.

It's going to kill jobs, innovation, and prevent competition to the giants just so their dinosaur of a business model can be protected. Steam is very popular because they charge competitive prices for game and the giants just want a monopoly, they don't want to have to compete.

I don't even know if I'm explaining this properly but most of the congress people who support this don't even know how to use a keyboard much less read this bill at all.
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #31  
Aaah I gotcha now, I don't feel arguing my point with 2 and 3 so alright.

Old Posted 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
has anyone else noticed that congress is trying to do what our parents used to do for punishing us for being naughty?

(banning us from the internet lol)
Quote:

I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM Reply With Quote