Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Snap!
Default   #17  
Hmm.. That's a good question Coda xD

Also, there is a place that holds a copy of every single book ever published in the U.S., just in case ^^
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I know I personally wouldn't want somebody to tear up a book that I wrote for arts and crafts, yet I think it could be flattering to turn the art of literature into another kind of art.

Damn my Libra instincts! D8
Old Posted 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #19  
I'm a Libra too! -high five-
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
-high fives- Hell yeah! >8D

You were born on September 28th, though. I was born on the 30th. c:
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #21  
Drats! But our birthdays are still two days apart. That's not too far off xD
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM Reply With Quote  
The only Prof. of Fizzyology
I think it's really cool. I mean so long as it's not a RARE book like Oh say, the first edition of Scarlet Letter like the one sitting on my bookshelf. I'd never be able to do that to it lol, but it's amazing some of the things people have turned books into.

Here's a question, They say it's wrong to mess with any kind of "holy book" but what if you wanted to take a copy of the bible and turn it into a religious form of art?

Does it make me 'sacrilegious' if I want to try it?

Click to go to Quest Thread ---v

Member since Nov. 4th 2010
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #23  
Technically, religious art of any kind is condemned in the Book of Deuteronomy, so, for the Judeo-Christian tradition, the answer to that is yes. However, seeing as religious art is widely embraced (and has been for centuries, if not millennia) the question isn't quite that clear-cut.

It would likely depend on the individual. Odds are, you'd offend someone. :p
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM Reply With Quote  
The only Prof. of Fizzyology
lol that's what I'm afraid of. don't want to end up killed via some extremist like others have.

Click to go to Quest Thread ---v

Member since Nov. 4th 2010
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #25  
Last semester for my creative writing class I wrote a parody play about an atheist who died and found out he was wrong and ended up in a conversation with God. My parents were really worried I was going to end up offending someone and getting hurt or killed.

Luckily, my class got the joke and no one flipped out.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
It's a sin to create art out of anything holy or of holy value, but worshippers do it anyway? This is why I don't follow anything. You don't know what's true or who's trying to pull your tail to get you to donate money to their churches so they can go on vacations and such.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 06:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #27  
To my understanding, any sort of depiction of God is a sin (I think quite a severe one, but I can't recall what it's no-doubt horrific punishment is). This is something that the church has kind of ignored all its life. I think part of the split between the Eastern Orthodoxy and the Vatican was over the status of icons, and there was a great iconoclasm after they broke away. Don't quote me on that, though.

As to your other point, I'm of the opinion that even if there was a supreme entity, it wouldn't care one way or another for institutionalized religion. Such institutions have a tendency to become very earthly over time (if not in their inception). You have to wonder, at what point do those grand cathedrals with their glorious architecture and inspiring paintings become less for God's glory and more for the executive elite ecclesiarchy who commissioned them?
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
That's a very interesting way to look at it. I never thought about that..
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #29  
I just find the "organized" part of organized religion pretty contrary to the whole "spiritual enlightenment" thing. But, I'm an atheist, what do I know?

And you thread's off-topic now. Sorry.

I for one very much approve of book-altering holy texts. From my perspective, while they have no place in government or law, they carry a sort of thematic antiquity to them that adds something metaphysical to art, even if the art is wholly secular. The whole reason religion's stuck around so long is because it appeals to our sense of grandeur, and where better to put that to use than it art?

Hopefully that made sense.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 07:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
I don't see why book-altering would be offensive. If you make art out of a book that you're changing because you probably aren't going to need/read it anymore, then you're basically turning something worthless into something more meaningful. = u =; And potentially useful.
Old Posted 06-15-2011, 12:09 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #31  
It doesn't bother me unless it's an antique first edition. I have a thing for antiques and I think I would be really upset if someone destroyed a first edition like that.
Call me Ath!

Old Posted 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Aigoo!
As long as it's not a precious book I wouldn't mind people can make beautiful things out of old books most people don't care about as long as there are plenty more where that book came from and your not destroying the last of it's kind.
Old Posted 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM Reply With Quote