Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #3025  
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyreen View Post
That's so silly. My work doesn't mind I've changed my hair a lot over the years and they've always been really cool about it. They don't mind peircings either. Honestly... I think it's weird when companies don't allow their employees to express themselves genuinely. :(
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I can explain exactly why companies do that:

The answer is that companies don't WANT their employees to express themselves. The employee's job is to express the company. To the customers, the employees are the face of the company. If a customer would be uncomfortable interacting with an employee, that customer is uncomfortable interacting with the company.

Companies are very risk-averse. Every risk has a possibility to lose money. Some risks are worth it, because success means earning more money. Other risks are deemed not worth it, because success won't bring in more money or because success is too unlikely. As a result, companies enforce dress codes, because unusual dress is unlikely to earn more money but runs the risk of alienating potential customers.

Because companies are risk-averse, they also tend to be conservative. Not conservative in the political sense (although that is often also true) but in the sense of being slow to accept change. Things that seem safe -- established patterns that have worked well for a long time -- don't seem like a good idea to modify.

Companies ARE gradually learning that it's not always a bad idea to allow employees more freedom, especially in positions that don't interact with customers directly. But it still IS true that companies that serve older people -- that is, people who are more likely to have a problem with radical young people -- are going to be very nervous about looking unprofessional.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-29-2017, 11:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock Shamus View Post
Exactly, not to mention I have ADD that I am not allowed meds for because I failed the doctor's drug test. When I was going through cancer, I smoked weed to ease my pain, make me less nauseous and just make it a bit more beareable. My state doesnt do medicinal Marijuana, so I was getting it from a friend who was just trying to help me. Uncontrolled ADD makes people eat to stimulate themselves and I am no different.
I used caffeine to self-medicate when I didn't have access to a psychiatrist.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #3027  
@Shamus
My brother was one time put on meds that almost killed him, what made it worse was that the school nurse refused to call an ambulance/hospital for him after my real mom told her to for two hours. Then when she finally did call my mom was on the ambulance that was called because she was an EMS at the time. Let's just say that school nurse got into a TON of trouble when it was found out she didn't believe my real mom worked in the medical field, even if it was just mostly transport related.

@Coda
Which, with a position I hope to get, I won't be working directly with customers. Not to mention the colors I'd like to dye my hair aren't really...noticeable? They are more muted when it comes to the 'hey! look at me and how bright and pretty I am!' kind of dying. x'D

Old Posted 03-29-2017, 11:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I can explain exactly why companies do that:

The answer is that companies don't WANT their employees to express themselves. The employee's job is to express the company. To the customers, the employees are the face of the company. If a customer would be uncomfortable interacting with an employee, that customer is uncomfortable interacting with the company.

Companies are very risk-averse. Every risk has a possibility to lose money. Some risks are worth it, because success means earning more money. Other risks are deemed not worth it, because success won't bring in more money or because success is too unlikely. As a result, companies enforce dress codes, because unusual dress is unlikely to earn more money but runs the risk of alienating potential customers.

Because companies are risk-averse, they also tend to be conservative. Not conservative in the political sense (although that is often also true) but in the sense of being slow to accept change. Things that seem safe -- established patterns that have worked well for a long time -- don't seem like a good idea to modify.

Companies ARE gradually learning that it's not always a bad idea to allow employees more freedom, especially in positions that don't interact with customers directly. But it still IS true that companies that serve older people -- that is, people who are more likely to have a problem with radical young people -- are going to be very nervous about looking unprofessional.
This, I use to work at a hospital, no tattoos could be seen, hair had to be natural colors, and no more than 2 piercings an ear.
While I was working I got away with 3 piercing in my left ear and my boss had a nose stud. Several coworkers had Tattoos but kept them covered during work hours. One girl came in with this fire engine red hair though and was immediately sent home and told to make it look natural or to not come back. Another one came in with a purple black color and had the same problem.
Working in Airlines now I have the same issues but cranked up even further. Cant have my roots showing because Ombre color is sloppy, I have to wear pants or tall boots to cover up the tattoo on my ankle and even if I am on an overnight sit they don't like it if you show it out of uniform.
I have friends with crazy hair and plenty of tattoos that go 'oh just do it' what is the worst that can happen. Fired, not get hired, black listed from all airlines? Yeah Uniforms suck but following the dress code lets you go under the radar.
Old Posted 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3029  

I understand dress code and the reason behind it. I understand why a company would want to have their staff portray a specific image. However isn't it extreme that someone is seen as inferior because they have a stud in their nose or they dye their hair an unnatural color? >>

I don't think someone should face unemployment because of the way they look. How they look doesn't reflect their work ethic. I'm sure I don't have to say that.

I also don't think someone should be blacklisted from airlines due to their appearance. Do you mean just working there or actually flying? I really don't think that's okay.

I don't really like policing how people present themselves. I don't have an issue with uniform but someone with unnatural hair color, tattoos and piercings could be better at their job than someone without any of that. My work is full of employees with tattoos, piercings and unnatural hair and none of us are viewed as less capable of our jobs. They're all hard workers.

If you're working with food then you should put in retainers for your piercings as they could fall out but aside from that eh.

Old Posted 03-30-2017, 01:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Working, Like I am banned from being hired by some airlines because they don't allow tattoos below the knees.
It isn't about how good they are at their job it is about conforming to a standard that looks like the average conservative american. Plenty of people will fit that goal so they don't change it, and if people stop fitting it then they will just hire less so they can serve the broadest population with out offending them
Old Posted 03-30-2017, 02:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3031  

Heh, I rather have really happy employees who present as their true selves than forcing employees to conform. I never really cared for strict formality. I'm just being honest. It doesn't bother me. ^^

At one job I wear a uniform, but I can have piercings, tattoos and/or dye my hair. At another job I can wear whatever I want and have piercings, tattoos and/or dye my hair. Personally it feels good to be able to express myself freely and it makes me want to keep my jobs at both places. I've been working at one place for four years and another for three this Summer, it's a summer camp.

I just don't see the issue haha, don't think I ever will.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyreen View Post
[SIZE="2"]However isn't it extreme that someone is seen as inferior because they have a stud in their nose or they dye their hair an unnatural color? >>
In an ideal world, no. But body mods and hair dyes are associated with rebellion and counterculture, and whether it ought to be true or not lots of people do get uncomfortable around it, or at the very least consider it to be unprofessional, and being perceived as unprofessional in a business is pretty bad.

Quote:
I don't think someone should face unemployment because of the way they look. How they look doesn't reflect their work ethic. I'm sure I don't have to say that.
That's not necessarily true. Refusal to comply with a dress code DOES reflect on work ethic -- if you can't comply with a very visible rule, then why should your employer trust you with things that they CAN'T see? It's not specifically about the way you look, which is mostly tangential; it's about your response to the rules.

Even discounting that particular part, it's largely a subconscious thing. Our brains are wired to instinctively think "same good, different bad." It's a bias that's very hard to overcome.

Quote:
I also don't think someone should be blacklisted from airlines due to their appearance. Do you mean just working there or actually flying? I really don't think that's okay.
Specifically it's employees. Airlines will let pretty much anyone fly as a passenger as long as they're not causing disruptions. (But they'll boot people who are being disruptive pretty quickly because they don't want the other passengers to come away with a bad experience.)

Quote:
I don't really like policing how people present themselves. I don't have an issue with uniform but someone with unnatural hair color, tattoos and piercings could be better at their job than someone without any of that. My work is full of employees with tattoos, piercings and unnatural hair and none of us are viewed as less capable of our jobs. They're all hard workers.
In the cases where it matters, it's rarely a question of one's competence, but rather of how third parties will perceive the company.

Old Posted 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3033  

Okay. I get it.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 03-30-2017, 08:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Coda: Yeah I tend to drink coffee to mellow me out. Lol.

Ml1201: Thats terrible. I am sorry that happened. Good thing he survived.
My mom was a paramedic, so she was the one on the EMS team to make life saving decisions and usually was the one starting IV's and treatment to keep patients from flatlining on the way to the ER. Its a stressful job, same with your mom's position. So much respect for those who can handle it.
Shamus / 39 yo Irish Male / In an open marriage / 11 Blood suckers Children / 1 Grandson

My late wife's birthday was Valentine's Day. Please pardon me if I seem stressed, moody or out of it. I'm an emotional train wreck right now.

Old Posted 03-30-2017, 11:37 PM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #3035  
SO IN PLACE OF NATSU POSTING A PICCU, I POST IT FOR HEEM.

LOOK! LOOK AT THAT BOY! AND HE'S ALL MINE MINE MINE MINEEEEEE XDDD;;
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Your Friendly Neighborhood Lurker
I saw that coming xD
"Cause I've been falling apart in the pouring rain"

"I'm waging war on myself. A captive causality"

""

"Traded a merciful heart for a murderer�s brain
But now I curse what's in my head
Because I can't stop seeing red"
Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #3037  
that is some glorious hair.

Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
that is some glorious hair.
Sank you i am proud of it

""

Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #3039  
FUCKING RIGHT?!

You should see one of the ones I was GONNA post.
But it hasn't shown up in my email yet.
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:10 PM Reply With Quote  
You can post it when it does xD

""

Old Posted 03-31-2017, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote