Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #145  
I like that one.

"My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest ;
Where can we find two better hemispheres
Without sharp north, without declining west ?
Whatever dies, was not mix'd equally ;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die."
~John Donne, The Good-Morrow
Where there's a Witch, There's a Way ;)
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
That's a good one, Sheol. I like it.
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #147  
This from Steven Erikson's Memories of Ice, and from one of my favorite scenes in any book I've ever read.

To set it up, three Elder Gods have come to the mortal realm to depose a tyrannical king named Kallor. They arrive in his kingdom to find everything burned to dust, the entire continent laid to waste, and they find Kallor himself sitting on a golden throne atop a massive heap of bones. This is part of the conversation they have with him.

'Very well,' the High King sighed. He leaned forward. 'You've come to liberate my people from my tyrannical rule. Alas, I am not one to relinquish such things. Not to you, not to anyone.' He settled back, waved a languid hand. 'Thus, what you would refuse me, I now refuse you.'

Though the truth was before K'rul's eyes, he could not believe it. 'What have--'

'Are you blind?' Kallor shrieked, clutching at the arms of his throne. 'It is gone! They are gone! Break the chains, will you? Go ahead -- no, I surrender them! Here, all about you, is now free! Dust! Bones! All free!'
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-23-2011, 11:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Woah, the guy sounds like a complete wacko. Poor people.

A scene from The Battle of Evernight; Ashalind, a mortal maiden who is beloved of the Faeren High King Angavar, is challenging Morragan, the Raven Prince and brother of Angavar. He just threatened to harm mortals if she could not remember the way back to Faerie:

"You would not use your power to smite mortal men, who are without gramarye with which to defend themselves," she said, rallying her resources. "You are more chivalrous than that, sir. Your threats are merely implacations . . . . . . Should you set all the wights of unseelie upon the men of Erith, still Angavar would force them back!"

Gotta give her credit for standing up to a Faeren Prince ;) the lady's got guts ne?
Old Posted 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #149  
"The having spoken of myself with unaffected freedom will need little apology with the candid; and let the un-candid consider that they injure me less then their own hearts and minds by misrepresentation. Whatever talents a person may possess to amuse and instruct others, be they ever so inconsiderable, he is yet bound to exert them: if his attempt be ineffectual, let the punishment of an unaccomplished purpose have been sufficient; let none trouble themselves to heap the dust of oblivion upon his efforts; the pile they raise will betray his grave which might otherwise have been unknown."

- Percey Byshe Shelly, Preface to Prometheus Unbound.

(Case in point, Ovid's works were the equivalent of Roman smut. It was not considered proper reading at the time, so naturally, it's what we know about now. ;).)
Old Posted 05-25-2011, 04:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
So, Shelly is basically saying "Don't feed the trolls"? :D

And, another random quote from an author none of you have heard of,

Of course we make crutches of one another. Why else would be crawl when we lose our lovers? -- Ontillas, on the Folly of Men

-Scott Bakker, The Thousandfold Thought.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-26-2011, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #151  
In his own, very wordy way I imagine. More like "don't complain about crappy things because it draws attention to them."

"Little spoat/gider, who made thee?"

From Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. The spoat/gider is a genetically engineered mix of goat and spider. The phrase is on a fridge magnet in a student's room.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-26-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old Posted 05-26-2011, 01:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
This is technically from a song, but this thread could use a bump and it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. It's from a My Dying Bride song called Two Winters Only.

Jesus wept, that all men might live in peace forevermore. The tears I shed are only for you. Only for you.

At least, I think that's how it goes, quoting off the top of my head.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #153  
Pretty.

My fave quote, from Hamlet i think. That is the play Ophelia's in right? It's one of the few lines that stick in my mind from that one.

"Get thee to a nunnery!"

sticks in my mind because me and my friends went to a theatre to see this Shakespear in 60min type of thing and my friend had to go up on stage to be Ophelia. all she had to do was scream, and trust me this girl's got lungs!
Old Posted 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
"Follow my mother!" is the line that sticks out to me. And yes, that's the play with Ophelia.
Old Posted 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #155  
Planning on (finally) borrowing the unabridged Macbeth and Hamlet from the library this summer.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
You mean people read abridged copies? It's a play, it's hardly long to begin with. Unless you're talking about Hamlet. That's a titch lengthy when it comes to reading Shakespeare.
Old Posted 06-18-2011, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #157  
Speaking of plays, I haaaaaaaaaate the "modernized English" version of plays. They sound so...I dunno....stupid ._____.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 06-19-2011, 01:33 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Haven't read any, though after reading Chaucer in middle English reading his work in contemporary English sounds odd; plebian somehow. I imagine part of it has to do with the fact that English just doesn't rhyme as well with itself now as it used to. No pronouncing the funky endings anymore.
Old Posted 06-19-2011, 01:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #159  
Hahahaha... Pretty much nobody on my class would pronounce "again" as rhyming with "rain"...I for some reason did that automatically while reading.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 06-19-2011, 01:39 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Really? How does one pronounce "again"? I always rhyme them. Rhyme's with "brain" too, in a poem by a famous author who's identity I do not know nor do I know what the name of the poem is to begin with.

Something about the carol of a bird...
Old Posted 06-19-2011, 01:59 AM Reply With Quote