Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Lynx Rufus
Default Rawr Teachers not teaching what they test   #1  
So I am in a basic physics course, and I have taken 4 other physics classes and gotten either a high B or an A. I was breezing through the basics and getting perfect or close to perfect on the quizzes and in class work. Test came up and I did the work to my best ability and checked the math, I got a 38/80, which apparently was near the higher end of the grading score the highest being a 50/80. Apparently all my math was right I just didn't apply the formula right because he was using some obscure way instead of the stuff he was teaching us in class.

Don't you hate it when a teacher tests you on things that you didn't learn in class?
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
тнє ℓσνє σƒ мαgι¢ ιѕ вєуση∂ ƒσяgσттєη
»·,´·˙(´·˙¸ ¸˙·,)˙·,´•·˙·,¯´·˙·• •·˙·,¯´·˙·•╭☆╯•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´`·»

☪ஐﻬ☽ OMG that is horrible Tiva.
I'm sorry you had to deal with that. He really
should of went with what he was teaching all of you.
Not something completely different.

I personally never ran into a moron like that. And I'm
glad I never did. Knowing my personality, I would of
been kicked out of class for screaming at them. ~_~

»·,´·˙(´·˙¸ ¸˙·,)˙·,´•·˙·,¯´·˙·• •·˙·,¯´·˙·•╭☆╯•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´`·»
uǝʇʇoƃɹoɟ puoʎǝq sı ɔıƃɐɯ ɟo ǝʌol ǝɥʇ
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #3  
Thanks, I talked to him and convinced him to let me work the problems i missed for half credit... because I refuse to have that low a grade.....
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Omg I hate that too my math teacher in college did that to me, everyone failed because none of the questions she taught us and one of the students said "well you didn't teach us about this so how are we suppose to know what to do" then she replied " well if you have read and do your homework you would of gotten it" (our homework had nothing to do with the formula, keep in mind this is college pre algebra). The homework was to write an essay about math, nothing to do with numbers, which I didn't do because it made no sense.

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #5  
Fortunately I haven't really had that as of yet...at least not full blown. I have had one or two who have tried it, but realized it (due in no small part to the outrage of the class) and then corrected both their teaching and the tests to line up.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I haven't encountered it myself, but really, if the teacher wanted a specific method to do the problems, he needed to have taught them and asked for it in the test. I can understand about grading the method as well as the answer, but if it's not asked for why is the method graded? Sorry to hear about your experience, Tiva :/

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
I had one teacher like that, and was also homeschooling at the time and my homeschooling teacher couldn't figure out what the heck the teacher was up to. Was also math, but basic math 9. He was jumping all over the text book. He didn't last long though. Had problems besides the oddball teaching schedule and there were too many student - and parent - complaints to ignore.
Old Posted 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Yeah, he is more upset that we all didn't get the problems right and apparently helped the last 4 students finishing the test on one..... and they got the higher grades than me....
Old Posted 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Default   #9  
I am not surprised sadly, this is how teachers are encouraged to teach any more. It does, however, bother me that you say he helped some of them on their test. That means that he has to invalidate that whole question off the test for every student, since he didn't help EVERY student with it.

This all brings me back to college organic chemistry...never figured any of it out because he would teach one thing, test on another, and then round up a horrid curve. Typically our highest score on a test would be a 35%...that right there proves there's an issue.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Yeah I dropped organic chem cause my teacher was like that....
He stated we could convince him to let us push for a higher grade which I did.
Old Posted 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #11  
One of the snags is that in some places teachers are required to pass a certain number of students, and some probably let students pass that don't neccessarily know the matieral to avoid back lashes from supervisors. That certainly wont help kids in the long run when moving to higher grades.
Old Posted 03-03-2012, 05:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Eh one of my teachers first year of college graded on a curve. The normal SD curve, and fit our grades to it..... I hated that teacher.
Old Posted 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #13  
I had a teacher like that last semester, sort of. She taught us stuff in class, but then the homework had nothing to do with the questions at all! And I got the concepts of what she was actually teaching, but she was teaching problems that could maybe go as high as level 5 on difficulty, then cranked it all the way up to level 10 on the exams. I got 50's on all of the exams, but I swear she rigged the system because I got 100's on the homework (it was this online thing called webassign where you can guess each answer 100 times), 80's on the two projects (papers, she gave us freaking 3-4 page papers in a calc 1 class), and I somehow managed to get a C in the class. I don't think anyone got an A and I just barely passed by the skin of my teeth because I went to her office hours and studied like crazy. I would've gotten a D if I was 1% lower. She's currently on probation for the second time... you think if she screwed up like this again, they would just fire her but no. I think it's because they had to fire another math teacher because that one failed about 75% of her class... the math department at my school sucks, which is sad because I'm going for an engineering degree and we need a lot of math.
Pandas=Awesomeness
Old Posted 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I would ask where you are going but unless you are in NC I doubt know where it is. Our Calc department is like that, we have a test called the Gateway and you have to take it til you pass and our teacher cranked it way up for us. Some people failed the class because they couldn't pass that one test.
Old Posted 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Source of All Chaos
Default   #15  
Ah yes, the wonders of physics teachers... >.>
I'm currently a physics first-year graduate student, and let me just say that at my current institution, this whole department seems to be like that. In my electromagnetic theory class, the professor just gave an exam on which students scored everything from a 17-68, because it wasn't on any of the material we'd done for homework (he did briefly mention it for 10 minutes in class as an aside, but then we never saw it again, until it was on literally 2/3 of the exam o.O).

My undergraduate physics department was much better than the place I'm at now, and I'm really thinking about just getting a master's degree here and going for a Ph.D elsewhere, because I do not want to be stuck here for the next five years or so...
Old Posted 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I can't blame you....
Old Posted 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM Reply With Quote