Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

CHEEZBURGER?!
Default Friends...   #1  
Today I was in computer class, Sitting next to...let's call him Bob. Well, I was sitting next to Bob, and I wanted to ask him if I could consider him his friend. It took me a few tries to ask him this, for fear of him thinking me weird. When I finally asked him, he said, "Well, it's not really up to you whether you're my friend or not."

I cried. Right in front of him.

Discuss:
Friendship.

Male ● Gay ● Single ● Looking ~_^
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
What a jerk Bob is

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Aigoo!
Default   #3  
You don't want a friend like that. I haven't had many friends resantly. It would be nice to have a best friend. Considering right now I don't have any.
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
neither do I since I have a hard time trusting people

OBBIE'S twin sister
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Default   #5  
I don't mean to be a downer here or anything, but "Bob" wasn't really being that rude. He just stated that friendship is not an on/off switch that you can flip and make everything hunky-dory. He's right: it's not up to you whether he thinks you're his friend or not.

And crying in front of him was probably extremely awkward for him, so I doubt it won you any points. It also seems a bit melodramatic.

Friendship is organic. You can't just latch on to someone and say, "You're my friend, right?" and expect it to be a real friendship. There has to be a mutual care for one another that's felt by both parties, and that care doesn't just develop because you want it to.

Old Posted 03-07-2011, 06:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Wiggles there has a point.

But I would consider him to be -UNINTENTIONALLY- rude. I don't think he -meant- to hurt you with those words, but rather just saying what he believes to be the truth. Better than a lie right?

Also.. you can consider someone your friend, but it isn't reciprocated for whatever reason.

I must say I have a minor fear of things like that ^^;;

Me attempting to go out there and interact with people, and them just finding me annoying and a hassle to put up with >.<; It comes off as a bit stuck up tho.. because I won't talk to you unless YOU talk first. It just let's me know you're really interested in a casual conversation with me ^_^

Because of that, I don't have much, if not any true close friends. I don't mind so much. Acceptance and "fitting in" with this world is NOT my main goal.

-___- It's just that majority of humanity seems really silly and foolish .__. Small communities like Trisphee are nice, because all the UNIQUE people come here. The weirdos who accept other weirdos and don't do things just to feel like they "belong".

That's the kind of friends I'd want to have anyways... So I wouldn't stress out something like that.

The Mule of The Duchess
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #7  
La Diablesse - I think you've pretty much explained the way I am. I don't like starting conversations because I won't know if the other party would be interested enough to listen, which is usually the case. I am viewed as stuck up and rude in the real world, when really I'm not either of those things. It seems like the second I open my mouth, people think I'm rude just because I said something. That really makes no sense to me and I don't know why people think I'm rude.

Living Dead Boy - Well, you can't just rush into a friendship. You've got to first as Bob how he is, and ask about some interests he might have. If you find he has similar interests as you, you can ask him about hanging out the next day to play video games, chess, Legos, Hot Wheels, or whatever common interests you share with him.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
I'm like you too, I wasn't raised to be social because I wasn't open to a social enviroment like a park, I've always been sheltered my whole life. So it's hard for me to talk to peers because I don't want to feel like a dumbshit in front of them. And if I say my opinions or anything they'll attack me then I withdraw myself then shut down like a computer.

OBBIE'S twin sister
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #9  
Same for me. I hate feeling attacked, especially since no one wants to side with the quiet person and I'm always left to fend for myself.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Heavenly Angel
Thing like this never happen to me and even if someone hate me they end up being my friend again. Most of them said that they can't get at me no matter what I do.

Are you both good friend before?
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM Reply With Quote  
The Best You Ever Had ;]
Default   #11  
Friendship? Most of it is fake. Sure, people smile at you, people talk to you, but the moment someone else comes in, someone "more important" than you, they leave and hang around that person.
True friends are the friends you've not seen in 10 years that when you get together it's a glorious event.
Those that call over these long periods of time.
Those that listen and actually give advice and tell you when you're sorely mistaken or becoming self-destructive.

Unfortunately, such a fraction of true friends is about 1%.
Because it's all just fake, from what I've seen. :/
And no one really has tried to show me otherwise.
because there is always someone else who is just a little higher on their priority list, or a group of people that refuse to let anyone else in.

Why so bitter? Because this has happened to me more times than you can imagine, so, oh well.
I think what Bob said right because while to me, alot of people are my "friends", to them I'm most certainly not even close if only an acquaintance. Friendship is a mutual decision. Just like love.

Blaine is going through some bad times~ ;D <33

**11/25/2023**
I am Hobovampire everyone but here and I cannot for the life of me recall why. Sup.

Blaine says you should visit his:
Oh! The Possibilites: Art Shop~| Homeless Arts: Art Gallery |Splendida Giornata:Exchange Thread | Homeless Musings: Art Tumblr|

Old Posted 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM Reply With Quote  
In the Box
@Blaine: Just because you think that people don't care about you, doesn't mean friendship is fake. I've gone down the road of being back-stabbed, hurt and used but I wouldn't call it fake. Because in the first place, the people I wasted my time on wasn't even my friend to begin with if they treated me like that. With this 'bitter' perspective, you're expecting people to hurt you. This is the last words one would generally hear from me, but have a little faith in people.

People will always have priorities, just because this person isn't on my 'first priority' doesn't mean I don't think any less of them. Explain a relationship between a lover and a friend, would you consider the lover more important? In fact, in that situation, making that kind of comparison is unfair, isn't it? (Though personally I don't have that kind of bias, I love my lover and my friends, all with a different kind of love.)

Ontopic: I'm gonna agree fully with johnny on this one. Every single word. This is my opinion though, maybe Bob didn't try to hurt you. Maybe he was just being honest. Maybe this is how he is. And maybe, you'd know it if you got to know Bob a lot better. People change every single day, they grow and learn. So don't stop getting to know Bob and don't expect the world of him.

Long, long hiatus.
Old Posted 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mica View Post
Explain a relationship between a lover and a friend, would you consider the lover more important?
It doesn't work that way for me. It all depends on length of time spent with that person and the QUALITY of the time spent.

Even if you have a newfangled "soulmate" you shouldn't drop your friend of 5 years to hang out with this lover all the frickin' time. It's very inconsiderate and you SHOULD show them the same amount of attention.

Actually... it's kind like "new stuff" effect humans seem to get. From since young, you get something new and that's your latest obsession. The old things go out of style.

Ideally, issues like jealousy should NOT exist because the lover should understand that you've known the friend for a while and enjoy spending time with them and the friend should also understand that you've got someone else to love as well.

I remember once I let my friend of now 11 years interact with my bf for the first time. She told me she found him creepy and thought he was a paedophile.

Did I jump on her case screaming that he's my LOOOOVE and she MUST be mistaken? No!

In fact, I jumped on HIS case for scaring her and partially blamed myself for not telling him about my friend's playful nature.

Why? Cause I know her for 7 years more than him... and though I may love him more.. i KNOW her more. And nothing can erase that.

He knows that.

And she knows that I love him tremendously. She'd even willingly listen to me drone on about how he makes me feel.

THAT'S how it's supposed to work. Not one without the other....

Anything else if fake, and you're better off without it. I've been through the popular crowd. Fussing over whether this is acceptable, and what's the next hang out we're making and if I miss it, they'll hate me.. UGHH stupid times... Feeling paranoid about not being around them... because if you're not hanging with them, you're a target to be talked about!

Terrible times. You do not want that.

Best to let friendship happen naturally. Don't force it. It's just like love....

The Mule of The Duchess
Old Posted 03-08-2011, 12:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Psych
oh btw... Here's an insight to my break-down over stupid "friends"

Extra stupid thing is? Their response was "Everybody's Doing It" 8DDD

"Everybody" is stupid... I don't want to friend with most people. Not my cup of tea...

Give me some weirdos plzkthxbai

The Mule of The Duchess
Old Posted 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM Reply With Quote