Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Snap!
Default Apocalyptic Science Fiction books?   #1  
Does anyone know of any good apocalyptic sci-fi novels? Aliens, widespread disease/famine, and anything that could threaten the human species fall into this category for me. I've read Susan Beth Pfeffer's Last Survivors series which was pretty good, but I was disappointed with the conclusion.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 07-27-2012, 11:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Think that's more of Suze's specialty XD
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-28-2012, 01:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #3  
I actually came into this thread, sat there for a good 5 minutes wracking my brain, then came up with all of nothing. I just don't read much, if any, SF (assuming you draw a line between it and fantasy).

My favorite post-apocalyptic novel of the few I've read is The Protector's War/Dies the Fire, in which a mysterious event makes the chemical reaction that produces electricity no longer function, reducing the world to a medieval tech level.

I could recommend Bakker's Second Apocalypse series, but that's way more creepy dark philosophical fantasy than what you're looking for.

Or you can read through our RP. :p
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 07-28-2012, 03:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzerain of Sheol View Post
Or you read through our RP. :p
Not even gonna....

EDIT: Oh wait. Brave New World's not exactly apocalyptic, but it is a bit disturbing (IMO).
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #5  
Ever read Dean Koontz? He has a lot of the end of the world novels, then he has his murder ones and the just plain creepy ones.
Old Posted 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote  
omnomnomnom ART
Terry Brooks is more fantasy flavored, but his Genesis of Shannara trio is post-apocalyptic from chemical wars, widespread poisons and famines and mutations, with some magic and demons. C':
╔════════════════════╗

deviantart page
tumblr
my ocs.
commissions links coming soon ♥

╚════════════════════╝
Old Posted 07-30-2012, 04:53 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
Not even gonna....

EDIT: Oh wait. Brave New World's not exactly apocalyptic, but it is a bit disturbing (IMO).
It falls into dystopian novels I'm pretty sure.

Are you looking for more savage apocalypse stuff, with fire and nastiness and such Ginger, or any sort of world ending in general? And are we talking end of the human race or full planet blow-out? These are important differences!
Old Posted 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Lyricist
Good Omens is, uh, pre-apocalyptic, though it's more supernatural than science fiction. It's hilarious and very interesting, though, if you feel like giving it a shot. Off Armageddon Reef is more up that alley. Dystopic society on a new world after the supposed fall of mankind, which then leads to more shenanigans. I enjoyed the plot. Reading it wasn't my cup of tea--the author used the word 'literally' so many times that I felt an absurd need to punch something furry--but the characters were interesting the storyline was engaging. I definitely recommend it.

Rigel's a star.

You can find me on:
ficpress + tumblr + last.fm

GROUP FOR WRITERS & BOOKWORMS

Old Posted 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #9  
I'm not entirely sure if it's what you're looking for, by I just finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. A good chunk of the book is kind of in our society and mostly everyting is right but then something happen and humanity is pretty dead except a couple survivor. I'm guessing that could be qualified as an apocalypse kind of thing because of viral infection?
Anyway, it's pretty good. You might want to check it out in a library before buying it, just in case. Or something.
I don't even
Old Posted 08-12-2012, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I enjoyed Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood but it's less sci-fi (though some people call it that) and more general speculative. It does take place in the future though, and the only human left is relating the tale of how civilisation crashed. Not flashy or action filled in the slightest. More contemplative.
Old Posted 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #11  
The Stand by Stephen King is a good one. It's not actually very sci-fi, but I still liked it. My favorite King novel I've read.
Old Posted 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Shade's Children by Garth ix falls into this category fairly well -- also, I read it years ago and it stuck with me. It's a pretty good read (as is anything by Garth Nix).

Wanting Luna the Wolf! PM me :3
A quest! x3
Old Posted 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
Default   #13  
Hunger Games is post-apocalyptic, dystopian society... not so much aliens and such. But it's a good, quick read.
Old Posted 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Sorry for taking so long to reply. All of the suggestions given sound good to me. I've heard great things about Dean Koontz and will definitely check out his stuff. As for a more specific approach, I think I'm looking for something along the lines of something that threatens the human race. A book that leads up to the event and a certain group's fight for survival. Something like that.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 08:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #15  
The Host by Stephanie Meyer is the only one I've read that I was completely satisfied with
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 08:43 AM Reply With Quote