Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

*twitch*
Default College: Tell us your story!   #1  
I was wondering the other night of how many people on Trisphee are in college or are going to college in the near future.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a nice talk about what types of colleges we go to? The horror stories we have from classes, food, etc. And various other fun stories that you may have!

For example:

I will be going into my 5th year of college in the fall. I switched my major this year because the one I had before wasn't for me and it was slowly sucking my soul, and I rather like my soul where it is! My College is a good sized one and I rather enjoy the atmosphere. For the most part I have good professors with amazing classes. But, commuting is a killer. Not to mention I don't have a job or money. So, if I forget to bring food from home: I'm screwed!

As for funny stories, I have way too many. Last night while in the student center, doing homeworks, I heard a group of guys singing the theme song to Spongebob Square pants. Other things have included: people dressed up as characters from Mario, a guy dressed as a sheep, and people randomly bursting out into Rent/musicals.

Oh, and we have a giant naked blue devil in the food area of the student center. No. Really. XD

If you would like to see my awesome scroll: http://dragcave.net/user/Blakey914

I may also have a tumblr...
http://spunky710.tumblr.com
If you follow me, drop me a message in my ask! ^_^
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I'm going to be starting my fifth year at Boise State University in the fall. 27 credits to go. :<

I'm not that social, and I don't live on campus so unfortunately I don't have any very funny stories. I can tell you though it's cheap to go there! And supposedly our football team isn't so terrible. But that is all I know. I am not into sports. v.v

Old Posted 05-18-2011, 11:57 AM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Default   #3  
I'm going to be starting my Junior year at a new college. I just finished my AA degree at the "state college" (it's a freaking Community College, but it's too embarrassed to call itself that, so whatever) and I'm going to University of North Florida in a couple of months to get either a Bachelor's degree in English or, if I can figure it out, a Master's degree.

So I don't have any stories from my new school, of course, but there was a weird time during my stay at the community college, where a bunch of people were apparently putting on some sort of "Shakespeare in the Park"-esque performance. A dude in a cape, with a guitar, and some other people blowing bubbles all over the campus.

I have no idea what it was. I probably should've suck around just to figure out, but education had been beckoning.

Old Posted 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Unknown
Ha, your college sounds way better than mine.
I just went to a community college and it was just the same as high school in my opinion.
Nothing fun or exciting ever really happened.
Although I did see someone walking around with a sickle once. Like a real blade and everything. It was creepy. No one even stopped and asked him why he had a legitimate weapon in a public college. xD

Found this old gem from the Taskal War xD

Please, call me Annie. <3

My saved avatar back before we had items with color and things glitched when you equipped them.... o-o
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...atarglitch.png
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #5  
I have two associates degrees, one in Humanities and one in Construction Technology (I have no intention of ever using this, but I was 3/4s complete with the degree when I realized this. It's there if I ever really need work, I guess, since my runs a construction company.)

I'm heading to university now for an English degree, ideally pursuing a doctorate eventually. I want to be a professor, but I'm not really looking forward to teaching outside of a college environment before that.

The only story that really comes to mind is from this most recent semester. I was at a poetry reading in the library for my Creative Writing class, but I arrived late ( I wasn't reading, luckily) so I took a seat off to the side.

Only... where I was sitting was apparently the playing area for a band who was going to be contributing to the event (I had no knowledge of this) and... throughout the event, I had no less than six people ask me if I was the replacement singer.

At first, I thought they were just poking fun at the way I was dressed (long hair, lots of leather and chains, combat boots, etc), but it was only after the musicians started arriving that I realized they were actually serious. Cue embarrassment.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've finished my degree and really don't know what to do with myself, besdies go to school adn possibly get another degree or associates degree since I'm pretty well set up in the social sciences. My degree is English Literature.

I started my first two years at Northern Lights College, one of several campuses spread over the northern interior of British Columbia which had maybe 250 students. Let me give you the tour. :)

Walk in the entry, turn left. That's one half of the left horseshoe that has teachers offices and some rooms. Turn right. That's the main office and admin offices. Walk a little bit forward- there's the bookstore. Walk in the bookstore. Turn left- one shelf and the till. Turn right, the other shelf. One more shelf in the middle. Leave bookstore and walk a little furhter. On the left is the atrium. On the right is the cafeteria. Walk a little further forward. On the left is the other half of the horseshoe holding more rooms. On the right are the rooms for trade and vocational training. All finished!

So yeah, moving from there to the University of British Columbia was a bit of a culture shock. You could fit the entire academic building of Norther Lights into one floor of one building in the liberal arts area.

I did enjoy it though. I lived on campus for 1 and a half years. Got along with my friends well and went to the free concerts and rehersals for the Uni orchestra. There are a number of amusing things. Would have to think a while to dig them up, though there was the time when I arrived to pick up some text books at the bookstore the week before the university opened and walked into an anime and cosplay convention. That was a little odd. Although, living on campus got a little irritating when the stupid fire alarm would go off at 2am. The record when I was there was three alarms in three buildings (there were four in the housing complex I was in) in the span of about 15 minutes. Students in that complex learned really fast to bring a textbook or laptop down with them to keep studying in the lobby while the fire guys did their sweep.

I was lucky when it came to food. I had a food budget from daddy :), and my uni cafeteria had a pub with a burger window that made great $2 burgers, the sushi joint was always fresh because it sold so fast (though the students weren't experts in rolling it all the time) and I lived very close to specialty shops like butchers and bakeries whch are usually cheaper than major drug stores. Of course though, like any good college student I went after food where I could get it. :). I didn't go to the "what to do with an english degree" seminar for the degree. I went for the free pizza. There was also $2 all you can eat Indian food for a fund-raiser for an Indian school. I filled up there and brought some treats back for my roomies. I also got all my ketchup, mustard, and relish for the year by taking little packs, only one or two at the time or they get angry, each time I bought a burger, whether I wanted it or not. It's also where I got most of my napkins and spare utentsils from. Soy Sauce came from the sushi joint.:).

On the non food end, there were a couple of occasions where we ran out of toilet paper so I would stuff wads of tp into my pocket whenever I went to the bathroom in case of emergency. One learns a surprising number of skills in college, such as how to remove hair from a vaccum that is stopping the spinner, how to change a vaccum back that probably hasn't been changed, ever, how to make dinner out of one potato and half a jar of salsa, and how to turn anything into a shelf or drying rack for laundry. Heh. Fun times, though I did miss not being able to have my doggy with me. That part sucked.

I think I'll stop here for now.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Best thing since cheese-in-a-can!
Default   #7  
I'm going into my 4th year at the local community college. Yes, I know that's pathetic. There are a few reasons it's taking so long, though. One is that anymore it takes at least three years to get a two-year degree, especially if you don't take summer classes. This brings us into the second reason; my scholarship won't pay for summer classes, and there's no financial aid during the summer. The third reason is that I just changed my major... again.

Emperor of Japan*Anonymous Fiend
Nikko, Kaguya, and Toki are my siblings

Reyo has an art thread!
Click the adorable tentacle creature!
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
I'm about to start my second year in college this fall attempting a BFA in Animation Arts. My school is half the size of my high school, including the dorms, and I really enjoy that little school atmosphere. My university also has the compacity to turn out positions in a whole industry from start to finish. Because of that I consider my university to be a media school. Also, most of professors are still working in the animation industry, which is super awesome. But because I don't live in that part of California and can't afford an apartment or off campus housing, I will likely live on campus for the duration of my college career. I don't think it's so bad, though I did wait all late year for a window to get fixed.

Actually there's so many funny stories I could tell about random studio moments at 4 in the morning but after being able to sleep I've kinda forgotten what was so funny about it. Most of our funny moments are situational and at least party depend on how tired we are and how much caffeine we've had.There is a high probably that we are the cause of a lot of other people's funny stories since it's not uncommon for the students in my major to randomly break out into movie tune and do weird things.

Horror stories generally involve injuries of some sort or an epic battle for OUR computers during finals. For example, I busted my head open on the dryer coin slot first semester and had to fill out paper work for 5 hours in the hospital while my head when bleeding. NEVER AGAIN shall I use the schools insurance for anything. Also X-acto knife injuries while sharpening pencils or trying to cut thick paper/boards and constant wire cuts to the hand aren't uncommon.
The worst stories is probably that I almost had to eat a grilled sandwich or 3-5 days a week, every week, all year, because everything had bell peppers in it or was spicy.

Looking forward to next year =3
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #9  
I just graduated but I am going back to community college in the fall. I wanted to spend the summer getting a job so I didn’t have to rely on my dad. I went to an art school called MICA. It was strange and I have a lot of strange art stories to tell. The worse being someone masturbating on camera in the name of performance art….
The Best is making friends. You meet a lot of strange people at an art school. The other good thing was being near the Ace of Cakes people, and having my parents go through Baltimore and say “hmmm that was on the wire wasn’t it.”

@ Ryuuoh: Oh man I feel your pain. @.@ Hate finals month. I don't know how long it takes to make an animation but I do know that macs and any program suck around finals time.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
@ Poggio: well I make full use of the month I have to do my final projects. the length of time depends on how the project is to be completed. Like computer animation that isn't drawing out each frame is a lot less time consuming than drawing each frame out by hand on paper and then filming or scanning it. Nut anyway, it's not so much that that the programs suck, as we can't get on our computers. Those labs are named "Animation Labs" but we have to fight with the Interior Architecture people majors to use our own computers. That and they leave their renders on the computers and leave the room for extended amounts of time. A computer is pretty much useless while rendering so if some one else needs a computer it's either the render has to get turned off, thus loosing all the info, or not get a comp. We've had to resort to killing other peoples project so that we could our own done.

Long rant D= aorry.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #11  
XD I figured as much. I've seen a lot of my friends hide in the animation studios during the last month just to get things rendered. Most of our teachers at the beginning of the year just say this "Look its a dog eat dog world, you can be nice and save some one else or you can be realistic and get that shit done and if that means killing another persons project then so be it, they should have been in the room to watch it" Luckily we just have to deal with photoshop crashing and people uploading random useless crap to the hard drives that usually crash the programs.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM Reply With Quote  
The Best You Ever Had ;]
I LOVE ACE OF CAKES.

I'm starting my sophomore year at Middle Tennessee State University and will be applying to the RIM (Recording Industry) program there at the end of this fall. c: I've got the grades so far, let's just hope I can keep up with them, hmm? xD
I work in the Recording Industry office so I get to meet all the prospective students etc. and I feel old even though I was only one year ahead of them. xD
AHM, I'm taking Japanese?
I do choir and have a bunch oflittle friends. xD

**11/25/2023**
I am Hobovampire everyone but here and I cannot for the life of me recall why. Sup.

Blaine says you should visit his:
Oh! The Possibilites: Art Shop~| Homeless Arts: Art Gallery |Splendida Giornata:Exchange Thread | Homeless Musings: Art Tumblr|

Old Posted 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
Default   #13  
Good to know that my school isn't the only one out there with crazy going on's. XD

Yesterday I went to my friend's Final Presentation, she invited me and a couple of other people to go and watch. She's in Grad School, a very important fact in this story. So we get there, sit down, and realize that there is food all round us. Me not having eaten anything since breakfast because I worked on a paper through lunch, was like "Heck yeah! Food!!" So we sat there munching happily while listening to my friend and her group present.

After the presentation we asked her if class was normally like that, with the food. She replied "No, but on presentation days it is!"

I have never wanted to go to Grad school more lol.

If you would like to see my awesome scroll: http://dragcave.net/user/Blakey914

I may also have a tumblr...
http://spunky710.tumblr.com
If you follow me, drop me a message in my ask! ^_^
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
I went to college for only a year before I dropped out because it was pointless going there. Financial aide only gave $800 for the whole year and my classes all together was $5,000.

Always buy used textbooks it's cheaper and you won't have to deal with damage costs.

My classes were alright, I hated my math classes cause she blames her mis teaches on us and chats with the students rather than teaching us, so hence I failed that class (and about the quarter of the class as well).

My Sociology class was fun except for the terms that the kids were acting like they are still in High School (talking behind your back, giggling, texting during class, and such). One time I wanted to punch her so bad, I told everyone that I am an anime fan, me and another girl next to me and experience the times when we were at a con; and these 3 girls had the guts to laugh at us in front of the teacher. I wanted to go up there and punch her but I couldn't, or make a sly remark behind her backs about being a brat and to party hop (that's when they go from one party till they get drink and make-out with a number of guys to another party to do the same thing throughout the night).

Then I took English, which was no point and it was half in-class and half online class, the story we were reading doesn't make sense and the questions are confusing. But I passed it randomly

I dropped out one of my classes cause he was discriminatory to a the time my boyfriend and his friends so I dropped that class (for being Mormons).

My next semester was computer class, which I knew the basis of Word, but nothing else cause I didn't need any of them (I will never learn the uses of formula in Excel and Microsoft Access). I passed that class with a B.

Another Sociology Class 2 was alright, lots of writing and talks about John Lennon since he is the hippie. I passed that class with a B.

Then I took Psychology, which I failed because she doesn't make sense and the quizzes she gives us for every chapter was to me designed for you to fail. I never did the papers cause she doesn't gives us the link to what should we be writing about. She gives out the notes so it's pointless to even do anything and all we did was watch videos and talk about the brain. Hence I failed that class.

I failed so badly that I had to take Summer school. My first one was Anthropology and the second one was World History. Hated Anthro, but loved History at the time I was obsessed with Hetalia so it worked out well. I didn't do the book report because I couldn't find a book in time and when I read it, it was complete bull crap that I stopped reading it all together and returned it to the library.

Anthropology was pointless, doing the same project that I did for the past 2 classes ago so I refused to do it again on the same group because they give me such bullshit answers. I remember one time that changed the whole classes way of reading. We read a 7 page article about culture, then she talks about all of her focus on the questions were based upon 1 paragraph of the article. Everyone was so mad that they decided not to read any of the articles again. We just read the question and skimmed for the answers cause we wasted so much time reading the whole article to base all of your questions on 1 paragraph is just stupid. I failed Anthro because I didn't do the project (I decided to change the group but every time I try to contact them ,they wouldn't respond to an interview, even the teacher had to type an email to him and with no response, so I failed that project for unresponsive sub-culture)

That is my college life in one year summed up ( I still have the books because they don't want hem anymore when I tried to sell them back and they ripped me off on them, it was BULLSHIT)

In my view college sucks and never wished to go back there

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #15  
I started going to a community college when I was 15. my high school had a program called running start where the high school would pay tuition at any community college in the state. I just had to meet with my high school counselor once a quarter to make sure I was keeping good grades. which wasn't hard. I'm pretty sure my community college classes were easier than the AP classes I would have been taking in high school. I had to pay for textbooks, but it was basically two free years of college. I finished my associate's degree and got my high school diploma at the same time.

I transfered to Brigham Young University in Utah last fall. I've been here a year, and living in Utah is driving me crazy! @.@ but tuition here's cheap, plus I have a half-tuition scholarship. so it's nice.

I came to BYU expecting to major in Graphic Design. but when I showed up and discovered that some of my credits didn't transfer right, and that they only took 10 people per semester into the program, I was mad. then I took an advertising class. the first day of class, I suddenly realized that advertising was my calling in life. I LOVE advertising so much. so I switched my major early on, and I apply to the program in the fall. I have no worries about getting in, because my advertising group was my professor's favorite out of the whole class. my professor is head of the admissions committee, and the project we did for that class is one of the biggest factors in admissions decisions. two of my group members got accepted this winter, so I'm sure I'll be good enough to get in. I just need to make a rockin' awesome admissions video this summer and I'm pretty much set.

I'm also planning to double-minor. To be in the creative advertising track, you're required to get a minor in either English (for copy writers) or in Advertising Design (for Art Directors). Since I want to be an art director, I'm minoring in ad design. for a while, I debated whether or not to get a second minor in business marketing, but I didn't want to take a stats class. but the scholarship office gave me a scholarship for Fall that I didn't apply for, so I had to sign up for more than twice as many credits as I was planning to take in order to get the money. I decided to just give in and sign up for my business classes while I have the time to. so I'm almost-finishing the business minor in one semester. I would only have two classes left to take for it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 05-20-2011, 03:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Celestial Princess
I'm getting ready to start my first year of college in the fall. I'm going to the University of Missouri in Columbia: A.K.A. Mizzou, and am entering into their Journalism school, which is the oldest in the states. I can't wait, especially after nearly failing one of the classes I needed to graduate.
I amGREED, Fall before me!
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
college, life