Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wanderer
Default   #17  
Otterbox is really good, from what I've seen. But it's generally a bit more than I'm willing to spend, and too bulky. Personally, I prefer Incipio. Hasn't failed me yet...
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I had an otterbox on my last phone... it cost more than the phone did. lol I got my current case on Amazon, and my phone has survived several falls since then.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 12-11-2017, 10:33 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #19  
Oh no. :( Surprisingly my phone as survived a lot of chaos but that might be because I have one of those rubbery cases on it. ;u;

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 12-11-2017, 11:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
My case is rubbery silicone around the phone, and a wallet. I think it acts like a shock absorber or something. I have a Galaxy S7, so the front and back are glass... I'm honestly surprised I haven't managed to break it by now.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 01:43 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #21  
I see. ouo Yeah I believe they do act as shock absorbers. XD Idk how many times I've managed to throw my phone out of anger at it and it's managed to survive. o_O

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 02:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Yeah, I agree that Otterbox is REALLY bulky. It's probably okay if you have a purse, but I keep my phone in my pocket and the extra bulk and the rubberized surface make it really hard to get in and out.

I've seen plenty of cases that have a silicone shock layer inside a smoother plastic housing. Those are usually enough as long as you don't drop the phone face-first onto the corner of something, and there are glass screen protectors that claim to be able to protect from THAT.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #23  

Mine rubber silicone and then the hard shell snaps on over the rubber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I wish there's an item that is a mountain of shit XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
are we bankrupting gizzie

Gizzie, s Questie-->>https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22149
ART SHOP-->> https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211Artwork By Glitch
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown.exe View Post
I'd suggest getting an Otterbox (or a quality phone protecter). It might be pricey at first, but it pays off in the long run if the phone is often dropped.
$50 case vs $500+ new phone per drop
Hold on...$500 per new phone? What kind of millionare do y'all think I am? I can't even always afford groceries, let alone a $500 phone!
I splurged on my most recent one and paid $130. Most are in the $50-80 range.
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #25  
Every time I hear about people spending 500-1000 dollars on a phone my heart darn near stops.
Answer my riddle to earn a prize!

You'll always feel it, but can never see it. It's strong but shatters easily. You can give it away but never hold it. What is it?

Pm me the answer, no cheating please!
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 04:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Most people don't drop that much money on the phone up-front. Instead, their devices are subsidized to their cell phone plans, either as a monthly payment until it's paid off or as a part of the contract ("free phone with a two-year contract"). The latter has grown very unpopular in recent years so you don't see it very much anymore. Then you also get a discount for trading in your old phone -- whatever value is left in your old phone gets applied as a down payment against the new one.

Prepaid phones get away with it because prepaid minutes are ridiculously expensive compared to a standard phone contract -- they sell the phones at a discount because they know they'll make up for it by selling phone minutes.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #27  
Regardless of how long it takes for them to pay them off, it just seems like a terrifying notion. I know one of my coworkers paid almost a thousand dollars on her phone by paying it out each month. I only paid three thousand dollars for my car, so it's hard to imagine my car as only being worth three phones, ya know?
Answer my riddle to earn a prize!

You'll always feel it, but can never see it. It's strong but shatters easily. You can give it away but never hold it. What is it?

Pm me the answer, no cheating please!
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I'm currently shopping for a new phone and a bit peeved that there aren't any good deals with the "free phone with a two-year contract" plan. My mom and I have used those plans for the past decade.

And now I'm just left sitting here, screaming at phone prices.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #29  
I get the cheap metro pcs plan they always have a free phone deal but I have had them so long I didn't get that deal when I joined but I've always got the $50-65 phones and here lately I get the (someone I know upgraded here's my old one that still works but how long) deal :/ I got lucky enough to get this lg stylo due to the hey -here's my old phone deal- it's lasted about a year so far in my hands..... longer than my hey here's a tablet you can have -one month till poop deal- I do have a brand new tablet now that I bought......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I wish there's an item that is a mountain of shit XD
Quote:
are we bankrupting gizzie

Gizzie, s Questie-->>https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22149
ART SHOP-->> https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211Artwork By Glitch
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 05:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I wouldn't spend $1000 on a phone (I think $800 is the highest I've ever gone) and I wouldn't spend $3000 on a car (I think $8000 is the lowest I've ever gone). There's a sweet spot in both cases, balancing how long it's going to last (and you have to pay more to fix/replace it) against what you get out of it (no sense in paying money for features you don't need).

Quote:
I'm currently shopping for a new phone and a bit peeved that there aren't any good deals with the "free phone with a two-year contract" plan. My mom and I have used those plans for the past decade.

And now I'm just left sitting here, screaming at phone prices.
You still get basically the same deal with one of the $0-down phones. It mostly just means that the contract when you're not paying for a phone is cheaper, and at the end of the term the phone is yours to keep.

Old Posted 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #31  
Yeah, but the upfront price seems a lot more than my previous plans. -grumbles-
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-12-2017, 06:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
It is, I am looking at getting an iPhone 7 for my birthday, and it is going to be around $550…. which is insane.
Old Posted 12-12-2017, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote