Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Thorns and Claws
Default 16-bit ~   #1  
So my new project is to start making sprite maps and tile sets for a phone application my fiance and a few of his buddies want to do. The plan is to do it along the lines of a 16-bit rpg deal (so maybe a few tile sets can be reused)

My question is on what or where do I start. We have a basic idea down and the size of the characters (sort of link to the past/harvest moon sized) so the tiles or backgrounds I have a good idea of how to start or what to make them look like...

I think im having a harder time sticking to the 16-bit color scheme... anyone have any idea on how to fix my so called issue by chance? I don't have any Wip at the present time seeing as I just started and my brain is a bit out of it thinking on how to go about these colors xD ...~this is probably due to lack of sleep but still~

edit: i think my issue is that im using too many colors xD ~tired not helping hehe~
Last edited by Rosekitten; 05-31-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Posted 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
The best advice I can give to you is to look at 16-bit tilesets and try to see what they did and how they did it. Don't steal, obviously, but zoom in, look really closely at those maps, and try to figure out your own approach to it.

Stick with only a couple flat colors at first, and then expand your pallet - SLOWLY. Limit yourself as much as possible. :3 That way when you have a bit more breathing room you can really flourish.
deviantART | Ernya | Tumblr | Art Tumblr

ADDYQUEST////backslash

º∆º
sell me yo' runes
Old Posted 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws
Default   #3  
yeah my issue is the limiting I think... plus the story is getting a bit complex xD but it needs a foundation before i can really start on anything. >.<;

I've been looking at tons of 16-bit tiles and sprite sets but it's not helping hehe I think i'm trying too hard or over thinking the process behind them, seeing as it is 16-bit i don't have to have over animated sprites or images .. but at the same time i could xP
Old Posted 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
I'd suggest starting with static images for now but if time and energy permit, then start experimenting with the animation. :3
deviantART | Ernya | Tumblr | Art Tumblr

ADDYQUEST////backslash

º∆º
sell me yo' runes
Old Posted 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM Reply With Quote