Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #49  
So for other people reading this, first impressions of my new Rog Strix (Hero Edition) are good for what little I've done so far. Set up was super easy, as it came with voice recognition and Cortana literally talked me through it. Didn't have to set up windows as it was ready to go. Just had to put in basic info like network password, region, and confirm information and privacy options. After that I turned off all the voice recognition and targeted advertising options and such because I'm paranoid that way. It did ask me to confirm a McAfee antivirus account which I didn't do. (I was told that the anti-virus Windows 10 comes with was good enough so I haven't had any other on my current computer, and I used Kaspersky on my last one.)

It's heavier than my Stealth, of course, but the smaller size does seem to make a difference with how easy it is to carry. Keyboard is unsurprisingly flashy, and I noticed that when screen saver is on it's a stable red, but begins a little light show when it falls into sleep mode. The keys are quieter than my Stealth and the touch-pad is creepy smooth and very responsive. Didn't come with much: power source and cord, a flimsy protect-the-shiny black slip cover (I've got a carry-case already so no need for a new one), and two itty bitty booklets on warranty and warnings. That is all.

Can't say a whole lot for screen or sound as I haven't exactly used it much or taxed it too badly, but it's quiet enough so far, and the screen it quite bright (I often turn settings down from default when I get a new computer) and the sound from the speakers was very good when I was setting up. I could hear Cortana quite clearly from several feet away as I was doing things at the time, and didn't have to fight to get the answers across.

I miss-typed a few things to start as the keyboard layout has larger right-hand shift and ctrl buttons as the arrow keys are offset from the rest. I like this, but it will take a little to get used to.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-11-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 08:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
McAfee is trash nowadays anyway. Windows Defender is good enough.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 10:56 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #51  
I remember hearing that but wasn't sure if that was still the case.
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I haven't heard anything to the contrary, and you know they'd be hyping the heck out of it if they did something revolutionary instead of sticking to the same thing they've been doing.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 09:21 PM Reply With Quote