Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

r e s p i r a
Default   #17  
digital's just another medium for me (albeit more convenient, I haven't touched any of my traditional media in ages, not including in class). you'd have to practise in any medium to get good at it. I look more at the final product than judge what medium it was created in. :V there are strengths and weaknesses to each one.

Old Posted 11-26-2012, 03:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
I like both. I pefer looking at traditional oil paintings and pencil/charcoal skethes, but to me digital art is beatiful as well... specially when you can't tell it was done on the computer or if it was all done by hand.
Old Posted 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM Reply With Quote  
i'm watching you
Default   #19  
I like traditional, since it's the only thing that I can do. Digital is nice when it's done especially well.
┌─ ──────────────────────────────────────┓
Teddy bears and candlelight vigils
don't bring back the dead.

┗───────────────────────────────────────┛

Shop Thread || Homestuck Hangout

CAUTION
Slylord can be a real b?tch sometimes.
No helping it.
Old Posted 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Magic
I think it merits saying both styles have there merits.

I personally prefer traditional art as I feel it is more an expression of the self. But I think both your styles are beautiful.
Old Posted 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #21  
I've been a traditional artist my entire life...I only started doing digital art this year and I find it a lot of fun. It takes me longer to color so I'm not pumping out pieces every few hours which I suppose keeps my Deviantart watchers happy that I'm not flooding their inbox with my art xD Doing digital art keeps my submissions to 2-3 MAYBE 4-5 a day xD

I'll never give up traditional art though. It's always my passion. I like drawing on paper more but I prefer coloring/shading on the computer
Old Posted 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
I honestly like both types and would purchase either of them. My favorite about the traditional is the detail of each line. They're kinda soft, as in it looks soft to the touch. As for the digital, clear and cleanly made. It's like a photo you take when touring a new city.

~ You can dance if you want too,
You can leave your friends behind.
Because if they don't dance,
Then they're no friends of mine ~
Old Posted 06-07-2013, 12:37 AM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
Default   #23  
I love both but i would say your better at digital :3
Old Posted 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Magic
yeah I more likely am better at digital however, I have been working on painting, which seems to be another strong point, just don't have any of those online at the moment, last time I tried putting some of them up I had got a lot of spam comments on deviantart...only on the oil paintings
Old Posted 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Exp. + 9,000
Default   #25  
You do a marvelous job with both styles... I personally can't do anything on the computer at all... Like I really can't. It has to be traditional. I'm very jealous.

[ L v e ]

There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you paid for...
Old Posted 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
I like your traditional style a lot more, but that might just be personal preference. I used to do a lot of digital artwork and only started going back to pencils and paper when I lost my tablet. I just like traditional artwork a lot more. It's nice to be able to have an actual tangible object to hold and be able to say you did that. AND no one can claim it as their own unless they like...break into your house and take it.
Old Posted 07-04-2014, 11:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Magic
Default   #27  
Well there is someone I know whose father had brought his artwork to a place to frame it and came back later and the person took his name off and had it in their gallery trying to sell it as their own work. He didn't have any proof anymore that it was his, no pictures of him with it ahead of time so the guy stole his work.
And like you said, actually my great grandfather had some artwork he did that someone broke into his house and stole it, he figured out who had it but he felt they must of needed it more than he did. It was a religious picture and they had put it up in their house.

I've been working on both, back and forth, still a little more on digital because it can't get in other people's way, and the cat can't sit on my digital work. =p
I more likely will do more traditional art when I either have a class or a studio.
Old Posted 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I do both. just really depends on my moods. I like digital because I don't have to lug art supplies around, but traditional's fun too, because nearly instant gratification.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Platypus
Default   #29  
I dont know how people are viewing your work, I would love to see too! I have more success at digital paining then I ever had at real painting simply because of the undo button lol! But digital paintings are still art, just using a different medium and not everyone with art software can make a nice picture.
Old Posted 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Me personally, I like to work in traditional media. Mostly I work in pencils and pastels. I have done some painting, in oils and in acrylics, and I quite like the malleability of oils, whereas I find with acrylics once you put down a brushstroke you're stuck with it.

I have done some digital work, but the pinky finger on my right hand tends to swell and stiffen after so many hours of mousework, and I have no tablet to use, so for that reason alone I have to respect someone who can achieve such detailed work digitally. And your work is admirable even beyond the consideration of physical limitations.

That being said, traditional training can inform your digital style, so absolutely do keep taking classes. I half wish apprenticeships were still a legitimate training method, I'd have been apprenticed out probably even before my tweens and would certainly have had a guaranteed access to supplies and a workspace, things I have to struggle to find even to this date.
Old Posted 10-25-2014, 02:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #31  
I like to sketch stuff out in traditional mediums, but I'll scan and clean them up in GIMP on my computer, because I can get more consistent line widths and can do more with colors than in traditional mediums (Even though I started out with traditional mediums... Plus, GIMP is free, and the traditional mediums... tend not to be for what I want to be able to do...). So really, it's more a matter of preference. Both have their merits, and both have things that're difficult to do in.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 11-02-2014, 04:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
>.> I need to figure out how to (or if GIMP can) scan the lines as a layer.

I am right now traditional, though I intend to move towards digital, as in the long run, digital art uses up fewer resources (paint) than traditional...
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 11-02-2014, 04:48 PM Reply With Quote