Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

isn't that funny
Default branching species   #1  
i've been thinking about this these last couple days but wouldn't deversify the races of trisphee be neat, it'd help us immerse a bit more into the story and it could encourage future events and items

we have a lot of gods and heros but not many peoples as of yet, i think it would be a cool idea for the future, what do you guys think? (i even doodled a picture and posed my avi after a potential species of creature living here if anyone wants to see)
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
The 10 races we have aren't diverse enough for you? They cover a pretty wide variety of archetypes, though, admittedly, the info released on them is kind of sparse at the moment.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #3  
with little exception they all are just too human, while being humanoid is fine for all the mains none of them are alien enough to convince me that i wouldn't run into each by stepping into a cosplay convention

take away wings gills or eye color and they could all just be people i went to school with
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Isn't that the case in a good 95% of secondary world fiction, though? It's rare to see races that are more than just one step removed from humanity.

Granted, I'm late coming to the project, but if anything, I think I'd rather see more of an inhumanity in their thought processes than in their appearance.

After all, we need to be able to make avatars out of them all. It wouldn't even be feasible to have a base body other than humanoid, as it would invalidate every single item that's been made so far.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #5  
well yes, true

i would as well though it'd be hard to see it in action via static avatars unless there was someone with a very firm grasp on clothing jewelry, markings and wepondry things that those without would still be willing to use or enjoy without being turned away(though by saying that you've hit the nail on the head over a vary large pet peeve i have with scifi fiction)

rue as well and that is why keeping them humanoid if fine, things i am talking about would be like, well like azerials claws or dragon lord's scales, or even the skins, things that would not take away but /add/ to it in a way that is certainly not human, small modifications maybe but not ones that could be easily granted to a normal person through a fluke in genetics between two normal human parents and hopefully not ones that any fangirl has done just so she could add the word 'neko' or 'inu' and make if forgin
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I think the selection of species is fine for the moment. Trisphee is still a developing site and this is the first time that I've seen any real instance of a larger story. I understand what you mean and I am sure that sooner or later the site will come up with its own bestiary as well as an inept description of the fauna for each planet. ( That I must admit is something I am looking forward to, I love imaginary creatures though I think avatar the last air bender kinda coined a lot of them )

With world building it takes a vast amount of time and imagination. I'm sure people like j.K Rowling, Terry Prachett or RA Salvadore didn't just come up with their worlds over night. Though this site likes to have a lot of input from the users. ( its like a giant game of DND during the events some times XD ) so I think with time you will see cross breeds, talking beast, Giant blue cat beings... well maybe not giant blue cat beings xD.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:28 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #7  
poggio, you are too reasonable sweetie, you crush me with practicality

but surely that vast input machine that is the user-base could help this, if half the members of the site contributed even one idea or drawing or draft to it we could do so much and quicker than just making the staff labor over it on their own

a lot of our artists would contribute just for the hell of it and the rest could be bribed cheaply enough

we have started in the right direction with that trisphee fanfic contest with writers and those are the two biggest hills
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Well, on that note, you touch on another difficulty: that of having too many hands in the pie, so to speak. If the goal is to create a cohesive, consistent secondary world, the amount of input has to be limited, otherwise it'll end up being taken in too many contrary directions to hold up verisimilitude.

On your other point, I just don't think the work such a thing would involve would even be feasible. Imagine if a race was added that had four arms. That would require every single item of clothing to have poses added to it specifically for that body type. That's a mind-boggling amount of work. And limiting yourself to only what can be added to humanoid avatars... you end up with more or less what we have.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #9  
We've been able to pull off SOME more "dramatic" changes, such as the koi tails, but there's not much you can actually WEAR on the tail.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
true but things like the wolf skin and the fenrir tails came out well

and making a scaly skin or something similar would be well recieved, several users mix skins just for that purpose(there is a lovely one with rave sparkles and winter skin) mouth and nose and eye mods are easy too
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #11  
@Sheol: Things like that wouldn't necessarily have to have an entire set of items in order for users to use it. They could be made as attachments or as a base but as long as it had the basic figure of the trisphee avatar then it could layered on top. I mean the site has done pretty good so far with skins just by looking at the ones that we have. It wouldn't be to much of a stretch to make eye or mouth accessories. The problem comes if the site ever develops different poses. I foresee a major glitching nightmare for every one.

@Choco: XD Well I like to see two sides of the coin but in the end its still just a coin.

I thought that is what the contest were for and the Item suggestion thread?

I do see the problem with trying to please every one at once. Though admittedly if they aren't admins already I've only seen a small amount of dedicated users that put heart and thought into the ideas they are suggesting when they make threads ( like this one) It all depends on which direction the site wants to go.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
multi-pose seems like a rather bad idea on this site, unlike gaia which uses wrap and has fixed layers(so they can mark out 'extra' bits) tris only has the single layer with self-imposed shuffling of the items on said layer that would mess up a lot of items even /without/ heavy base modification

true i suppose

this doesn't really fit either, if it was just for contests it'd be a rase for a single or small number to win not a group effort

and i'm not /just/ recomending items(though they play an important part) i am asking for full immersion
Last edited by littl3chocobo; 07-06-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: haha, i found the right word
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #13  
If I could trouble you to do so, could you explain what you mean by "full immersion" in a little more detail, please?
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
have it be part of the site story, have it be an npc, have it play a part in the events and be something recognisably 'trisphee'
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
We've got multiple poses on our list too. It's not impossible with our system. It's actually not particularly difficult.

It's just INCREDIBLY TIME CONSUMING.

We would have to arrange to have every pose of every item modified for every stance of the base. Some items may just be a matter of telling the editor "shift this down 40 pixels" but others would need completely redrawn (i.e. pants when kneeling).

This is something we want to do someday but it's simply not going to be possible until we can afford to retain a LARGE pixel-art staff that can spend a couple months redoing it all. It would have been easier to make this change earlier in the site's development, when there were fewer items that would need the update, but that would have come at the cost of having a correspondingly smaller selection of items and it seemed that more variety was more important than multiple stances.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 12:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Hmm. That somehow never even crossed my mind since joining here. That would, admittedly, be pretty awesome, but as you said, Coda, terribly laborious.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM Reply With Quote