Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Addicted to Trisphee
Default What gender do you play as in video games?   #1  
I'm a guy who plays as a guy in video games, but would play as as woman.

Is it normal for guys to play as girls, and vice versa? Just wondering.
I'm always a dude, no matter how my avatar looks! :)

See me at:

Syndrone: Neonriser
Flight Rising: Neonriser
Old Posted 01-31-2017, 09:24 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
I like playing female characters because I'm female. I'd rather not play as a guy, but sometimes games have a main character with a specific gender, so it can't be helped.

If it's a game where characters or classes are locked to specific genders, then I'll choose a female character (so long as it's not a warrior/tank, I could care less about classes xD).

I don't know if it's normal for guys to play as girls or for girls to play as guys though.

Old Posted 01-31-2017, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #3  
I play all of the above XD
I generally go towards characters that are snipers/rogue types regardless of gender.
When making my own character I tend to be a bit narcissistic and make one similar to how I look but of course super glorified to how I would like to be XD so that would be female generally I guess?

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 01-31-2017, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonriser View Post
I'm a guy who plays as a guy in video games, but would play as as woman.

Is it normal for guys to play as girls, and vice versa? Just wondering.
Why wouldn't it be normal?

I play whatever I feel like for the character I have in mind. I have male bards and female barbarians, male warriors, female mages, male mages, etc.

I suppose I lean a little more towards female but my current "main" is male. Most people tend assume I'm male anyway, unless they are using "he" as in inclusive pronoun out of habit.
Old Posted 02-02-2017, 11:17 PM Reply With Quote  
"Where to, Miss? To the Stars."
Default   #5  
I'm a girl who plays as a girl, but that's only because that's my personal preference. I think it's perfectly normal to play as a the opposite gender though. Why not? Let's not limit ourselves.
Old Posted 02-06-2017, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Especially since some games have set characters to play. I'm pretty sure that it will be safe to assume people of any sex will play a video game even if their gender doesn't match the protagonist.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 11-14-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Posted 02-06-2017, 11:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #7  
Female here. If the characters are all distinct and, like, real characters, I don't care which gender. However, if it's a character that the player creates (like Skyrim or whatever), I almost always play as a girl. The dude models are always... um... uglier? Like, the modelers spend way less time making them look good than the female models. The female characters tend to have more unique and interesting clothing options too - males in rpgs tend to just have the option between bulky armor and bulkier armor.

My brother usually plays as female characters too. Anyone should be able to play any gender for whatever reason they feel ^-^
Old Posted 02-17-2017, 11:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot

If gender is an option then I usually go for female the first time around and then the second time I play I choose male.

Old Posted 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #9  
Ren and Terisyn are confused as to what this "gender" thing is.

(But until recently, I've usually played as male on MMORPGs, because harassment is not exactly fun. Gender-locking in games is a huge turn-off.)
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Last edited by Espy; 02-24-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old Posted 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I'm female, biologically, and usually lean toward "She/Her/Hers" in terms of pronouns. In games where the player can make their character custom? It really depends on my mood. Sometimes, I wanna play as a guy, sometimes I wanna play as a girl, and sometimes, if I can, I lean more in the middle. Sadly, I've noticed that in MMOs, the females tend to be very overly sexualized, which is very annoying from the perspective of someone who thinks in logical terms of armor and defense (Note to game developers: Boob armor is more likely to kill your female characters if you're going for realistic physics!).

I'm actually working on building a Non-Binary Barbarian named Roan for Dungeons and Dragons. I may try transferring them to Pathfinder as well, just for the fun and challenge. Half the fun of that character is that they don't look overtly masculine or overtly feminine. They're themself, and that's all that matters.

One of my favorite things is pushing the envelope on what is masculine and what is feminine. I have a Pathfinder and D&D Dwarf Paladin character named Helja Grimhammer who is biologically female, but she's got Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and as a result, has a beard to make male Dwarves jealous.

I have a Cleric, named Galeas, who I haven't picked a race for yet (probably going to go with Hafling though), who is biologically male, and he's very cute and would fall under the "Trap" definition because he's got very feminine-seeming facial features and a higher pitched voice than most guys.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 02-28-2017, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #11  
Female Dwarves in DnD tend to have beards anyway, or they used to. I'm not sure if it's written down anywhere anymore. I had a paladin that I made but never played, who had a neatly styled goatee. More relevant to her character than the beard was that she used a rifle.
Old Posted 02-28-2017, 09:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
Female Dwarves in DnD tend to have beards anyway, or they used to. I'm not sure if it's written down anywhere anymore. I had a paladin that I made but never played, who had a neatly styled goatee. More relevant to her character than the beard was that she used a rifle.
It's not in the core rules anymore. and there's almost no miniatures of female Dwarves with beards, aside from the one I know of that I made on HeroForge
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 03-01-2017, 12:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #13  
Depends on the game. Lets say I'm playing dragon age...not going for a certain lover? Male usually. Going for a certain lover for the achievement or just because? Well, whatever I need to be to be paired up with them.

I tend to play males, I think, in part due to all the games where females get less clothed as they level or get better items. I don't need another half naked female on my screen.
Old Posted 03-01-2017, 03:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
It really depends I suppose. If I like the male designs more than the female, then I'll choose male. Though I often get a female avatar.
Old Posted 03-04-2017, 07:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Tasty Zucchini!
Default   #15  
If I am able to customize the character to an extent then I usually pick a female character example: The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Diablo, things like that. Plus, if I am going to put 600+ hours into a game and have to stare at the backside of a character for a large amount of time then it might as well be a nice one. *chuckles* I know I know, a bit vulgar but it is true. I am a female for clarification, but I do not mind playing male characters. If I have a character profile in mind that absolutely has to be a male then I will play as one.
WE ARE THE WEIRDOS MISTER!
Old Posted 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It's not in the core rules anymore. and there's almost no miniatures of female Dwarves with beards, aside from the one I know of that I made on HeroForge
Saw this thread again and also recalled Aragorn's comment in one of the LotR films. It's heavily implied that Middle-Earth dwarf women had beards (the whole 'look so much like men that the sexes can't be told apart" thing,) and Aragorn outright says it ;).

Older versions of DnD and some writer's played with the beard thing, but the newer editions have written it out.

Seems silly to me. It's a neat detail.
Old Posted 11-14-2017, 03:11 AM Reply With Quote