Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pixelist
Default   #33  
i'd love to play tetris with you.

mind you, i still have no idea how to do a t spin.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I'm not very good at T-spins, myself.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
https://jstris.jezevec10.com/ -- since Tetris Friends has been shut down, this is as far as I can tell the next-best thing. If you'd like to try me, we can figure out a time to play.
WHEN DID IT SHUT DOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
i'd love to play tetris with you.

mind you, i still have no idea how to do a t spin.
what the heck is a t spin
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 08-14-2019, 02:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It shut down at around the same time that Tetris 99 picked up game modes beyond just battle royale... which is to say, recently.

A T-spin was originally a game mechanics exploit that would let you rotate a T piece into a place under an overhang that it wouldn't normally be able to reach. Basically, if a rotation (possibly also including gravity and wall kicks) would put the piece in a legal place, then the piece would go there, even if it would have to have clipped through another block if the rotation were smoothly animated instead of a sharp 90-degree snap. This enables some surprisingly nuanced gameplay, so instead of being patched out it was promoted to an actual feature. (I'm sure the fact that patching it out would have been hard probably also had something to do with it.)

Clearing a line with a T-spin counts for twice as many points and twice as much multiplayer trash. This means that the most valuable move in the game is a T-spin triple: if you slip a T piece into a hole that lets it clear three lines at once, it's worth 1.5x as much as a Tetris.

The T-spin technique can be used with any block (except O, because O blocks don't meaningfully rotate) but only T gives a bonus.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-14-2019, 10:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #37  
GEEZ, the jstris community is way better than the Tetris 99 community. I've not done better than 2nd place.

Old Posted 08-14-2019, 01:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
This means that the most valuable move in the game is a T-spin triple: if you slip a T piece into a hole that lets it clear three lines at once, it's worth 1.5x as much as a Tetris.
There's... no way to do that legally, though...?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #39  
T-spin doubles are easy to explain. Imagine this setup:

XX*
X.**X
XX*XX
XXXXX

If you rotate right, the T will snap into place and clear two lines. (If you rotate LEFT it'll snap down too but it'll only clear one line and leave a blocked-off hole... probably shouldn't do that.)

T-spin triples are definitely harder to spot if you don't know about them in advance. Here's the typical setup:

XX*
X***
X.XX
X..X
X.XX
XXXX

If you rotate clockwise here, the only valid place for the piece to come to rest would be inside the T-shaped hole.

(EDIT: Finally got a 1st place.)

Old Posted 08-14-2019, 05:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
welp, time to play jstris and give it a go. maybe get addicted to it, who knows.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM Reply With Quote